• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Sold my project tractor yesterday, so I am in need of a tractor/mower. Going to look at a JD 214, nice original condition based on the pics, matching Goodyear Softrac tires with good tread. It has the small 39" mower deck, it looks a bit ratty but the owner says it mows well. I want the small deck to fit thru the doors to our shed and around our landscaping. Tillers, integral hitches and snow blades seem easy to find and affordable for this model as well. Owner says engine is strong, no issues with it or the transmission. We will see shortly. I think I can get it below $400. Hopefully it will follow me home! Mike

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,738 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:21 AM

If you're looking for a mower to get around tight and curvy landscaping, the 214 might be a disappointment. With a mower deck that barely hangs out past the wheels, the poor turning radius, and the manual transmission; you will find it is not a very agile machine. Rock solid, bulletproof, and tough as nails; yes. Nimble, no.

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 02:34 PM

I agree, for what it sound slike you need, this may not be the machine for you. However anything can always be made "to work" if need be. Good luck!!

#4 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 05:06 PM

Its not tight turning, just narrow width I needed. The landscaping has broad curves, original designed to be mowed with a JD 110 flat fender with the small deck. I did get the tractor, runs good, just need to lean out the carb a bit, running a tad rich. Mower deck will need bearings soon. Already put her to work a bit late this afternoon hauling yard waste to the curb for the city to pick up. Now I need to locate a snow blade on the cheap. Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 05:27 PM

Looks like a nice original tractor in perfect "worker" condition. Are those replacement tires?

#6 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:33 PM

They are the original Carslie turfs. I looked her up and registered her over on the WFM forum, she was built in 1981. According to the PO, he never changed the tires and the old man that was her original owner babied her. So I would say they are original to the tractor, the age, dry cracks all look to be the same age as the tractor. Mike

#7 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 07:22 PM

That was a good buy on a great tractor. They are built like a tank.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 05:08 AM

Not a bad looking tractor. Glad you were able to get it!

#9 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 08:33 AM

Congratulations on your find! Nice looking JD!

#10 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Thanks guys, I found a snow blade that I could afford thru a mutual friend over on the WFM website. He just has to get it up here to Kokomo to his friend that I am also friends with. No rush yet, not snowing here (knocks on wood!). We might get flurries mixed with rain mid week. But a plowable snow isnt unheard of this early here, but rare. Still need chains, anybody wanna swap a set for 10.50 tires for my set with V bars for 8.50 or a std set for 6-12 tires?

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Looks to be a well kept machine. Congrats on the purchase.

Are the deck bearings readily available? Standard size, dealer part, all that.

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 10:00 AM

What is your intentions for the tractor, you're not going to restore it are you? That's in pretty nice original shape. I'd just try to polish it up and see how it turns out. Nice find, and Congrats on the purchase!

#13 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 02:26 PM

I polished up the hood and side panels, not sure the fender deck is savable without a repaint. its been repainted with a rattle can before with the runs to prove it. In time, I will have all the green professionaly repainted by an auto/body shop in Peru, Indiana to be as shiny as my friends 318 is now. I just bought a snow blade so I am broke for now. I will take a crack and bringing back some of the luster to the fenders for now. The rims will get resprayed by me when I get a chance to get more masking tape. I straightend the grill, need to paint it now and get a new medallion. We have to go to the JD dealership on Wed to pick up parts so I will order a new one then. And yes, deck bearings are available from both Deere and the local bearing house or ebay. I will be pulling the deck soon for the winter, I will go thru it completely over the winter, fix the bent gauge wheel on one side and body putty fill the pits in the weld job on the nose patch on one side then repaint. Mike

Edited by mtoney, October 28, 2012 - 02:32 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#14 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 07:08 PM

looks like a good jd 214. should last you a while with a little work fixing it up now and then

#15 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 07:46 PM

I spent some time with the mothers polish, got the hood looking pretty good. I gave the fender a shot on one side, turned out pretty good. I will attack it some more tomorrow after I get out of class. I tuned the carb a bit today, idles better without overfueling itself now. I got the headlights working but need to get a bulb for the middle one. Took the headlight lense and polished it up. If it polishes up like what I have done, I will put off having it repainted for awhile and concentrate on picking up options for it. Integral hitch and a tiller are up next unless a steal on a snowthrower shows up on CL. Thanks for all the great compliments. Mike