• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hello all ;i decided to get ready for winter and install new tires and chains on my 414-8 (its calling for flurries on monday) the tractor came with 23-8.50 x 12, but i had a new set of 23-10.5 x 23 with chains, well after installing them i found the chains rubbing on the gas tank on both sides, might be an issue, i could litterly be in the hot seat, has anyone pulled the hub off and reset it 1/2 to 3/4 futher out, or put a spacer in, or is there any adjustment? i dont want to hurt the rear end. or is the idea of putting the larger tire on a no no, seemed like a good idea at the time, hopfully i will find a blade, and i have a tiller installed, this tractor will never cut grass again even though i have a great deck for it so i want aggressive tires on it, in the spring its very soggy in the back by my garden an i thought the wider tires would give me some floation , any thoughts appreciated thanks farmer john

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 02:32 PM

I had this issue with an older wheelhorse and I was able to finagle the chains so that they would sit just enough to avoide scrapping anything....never thought it would hold but with help from chain tensioners (elastic type) from Amazon.....it held all year. Just a thought if you run outa options......good luck!!
  • farmer john said thank you

#3 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:40 PM

Did you use the same rims? 23x10.5x12's should be mounted on a 8.5" rim. The wider tire balloons out over the 7" rim which is more than likely why they are rubbing. Your other alternative is spacers. They can be had through ebay or your local quad dealer.

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 10:27 AM

thanks for the reply, i had tires and rims from a 269h, i put the 23 x 8.5 x 12 tires back on with chains, and have no clearance issues, but i still want bigger tires, the 23 x 10.5 x 12 would clear without the chains, would bar/lug tires have the same width, i am now leaning that way, my dealer wants $50 for spacers i can get bft lug 6 ply tires in buffalo for $85 apiece installed

#5 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 11:42 PM

Same issue plus, in my opinion, chains and ag tires don't mix very well. The chains tend to slip down inbetween the lugs and don't do any good anyway. Wider rims with the correct backspacing or spacers are still your best options.

#6 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:33 AM

i was not going to use chains with ag tires,i do have the right rims, it seems spacers will be the way to go if i dont get the clearance with the 10.5 ag tires. just out of curiousity what rims are those in your pic?

#7 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:05 PM

That is just a set of mud packed duals. In my experience with ags in heavy/wet snow, they work good, just like in dirt. Ice on the other hand is not so good. Your contact patch with ags on ice is greatly reduced because just the lugs are touching. Real hard to get traction with so little rubber contacting the ice (or hard packed snow). Turfs with chains are about the best all around general use in snow in my opinion. The best I have ever used in snow where actually a set of 6-12 chain clad turfs. Unstoppable! Where your at, I'm sure you have alot more experience on the ice/hard pack than I do.
For the price on those ags you should probably go ahead and get em. If nothing else, what else do have to do in the winter, try em both out!