#46 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 03:13 PM

When the belts are engaged extra weight is put on the front end of the engine due to belt tension.

This is a problem I ran into on my first transplant. I took steps on this one to move the PTO end mounts as far forward as possible to help with this. If your PTO belts do not have a spring loaded tensioner you can easily increase the load on your motor mounts 2 to 3 times their rating.
Yesterday I was able to complete the fuel system and some more of the wiring. Tomorrow if nothing comes up the battery compartment will have to be fabricated so the wiring can be completed.

#47 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 05:13 PM

I'm watching your conversion carefully because I would like to have a diesel GT and both my 300series JD's could use new engines in the near future. There are a lot of little things that can end up causing a pile of work. It's great to see how others handle these issues.
  • Cvans said thank you

#48 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 10:28 PM

It's been a while since I've updated this so I thought I better let people know why. I spent a good part of this week installing a new flywheel in my old Gopher truck (go fer this and that). When I installed the new engine back in 07 I had the flywheel surfaced and everything concerning the clutch was installed new. Well I should have replace the flywheel also because as it heated up it would warp and chatter. It finally got to the point that pulling a trailer was getting difficult. Today I finished the job and the clutch seems very smooth now. Drove it around town doing a lot of stop and go's and it worked good. I hope that it stays that way. I can see this will be the last job I do on a creeper. My back just can't take it anymore. :(
In between parts and back pain I worked on the Bolens and did get most of the wiring done. Mounted the exhaust and battery.
I'm still waiting on the filler neck (ebay) and the seller will not respond to inquiries. Might have to purchase another one and save this one for the next project. Hope to have more photos the first of the week and be driving it before the weekend.

#49 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the update.Will be looking forward to further progress.

#50 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Made some progress today. Took the front off along with the battery shelf so that I could get at the PTO. Removed the PTO shaft and milled the 1/4" key way into it. Also fabricated the cable operated PTO engagement system. You can see the idler arm, cable, and pulley in this photo also.
Bolens diesel 11-12-2012 003.JPG

These photos show the PTO lever and lever stops. #1 shows the lever in the engaged position and #2 show it in the disengaged position. You can also see where the lift pump is mounted in the tunnel.
Please ignore the partial eclipse in the second photo. Fat fingers :wallbanging:
Bolens diesel 11-12-2012 004.JPG \
Bolens diesel 11-12-2012 005.JPG

This last photo shows the mounting of the exhaust system. This is the muffler and stainless flex pipe that came with the APU. So far many of the parts needed to complete this system including much of the wiring came from the APU. This has been great being able to adapt so many of the parts on hand instead of trying to locate things on line that would be suitable for this application.
Bolens diesel 11-12-2012 001.JPG

#51 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 07:38 AM

Looking good. :thumbs:

#52 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:42 PM

Looks like this project is coming to a close. Ran the Bolens for a couple hours today eliminating leaks in the injection circuits. Every joint in the return lines were leaking. Found out the fan cycling switch is not working so I cycled the fan manually and it brought the temp right down. Hope it works that way when it is hot out. The little diesel starts and runs like a clock.
I still need to mount the air filter and bolt up the hood. Fix a flat front tire and swap the fan switch. I hope to be driving it around the yard tomorrow afternoon. The plan is to modify a Simplicity deck to use with this tractor. I just love the way those decks make the yard look when I'm done mowing. This is going to take some head scratching as I have never converted a belt drive deck to run off a shaft. I have a couple of deck so if one gets buggered up there will be a backup.
Took a couple of photos with the hood and grille setting in place.
Odds and ends 001.JPG
Odds and ends 002.JPG
  • IamSherwood and twostep have said thanks

#53 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:06 PM

She's looking great Chris! So no air duct on top of hood needed on this one?
  • Cvans said thank you

#54 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:13 PM

Looking awesome Chris, keep it up and you will be building those for all of us. :D
  • Cvans said thank you

#55 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:29 PM

I'm afraid that building them for others would take the fun out of it. I still have a couple of engines I need to find homes for. I have the tractors, it's just trying to figure out which engine I want in which tractor. I think the next one will be a Lister-Petters project. Love the sound and torque of the diesels.
One other thing I need to do on this one is paint the battery shelf satin black so it doesn't stand out.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#56 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,407 Thanks
  • 3,157 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:08 AM

That came out incredible !!!!!!!! Why they didn't do that originally is a wonder for sure :)
  • Cvans said thank you

#57 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Hey Chris,that Bolens looks great with that diesel in it. :thumbs:
  • Cvans said thank you

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:21 AM

Looking good, Chris! Bet your going to have fun driving it around!
  • Cvans said thank you

#59 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,698 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:55 AM

The speed at which you work on these is impressive. You got a skill set to be proud of.
  • Cvans said thank you

#60 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Nice work there. I enjoyed watching this thread. As said, you should get into the repower business, but you're
right, that would take the fun out of it.
Good luck on the deck. I hope you post that as you go.
  • Cvans said thank you