#31 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 08:58 PM

The radiator and fan assembly came with the engine. The radiator is actually thick and has at least 4 passes. I'll take some more photos of it when I have it mounted.
Tomorrow is root canal day so things will probably slow down. :hitting_self_roller:

#32 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Good luck with that, tomorrow. Hope everything comes out alright.
  • Cvans said thank you

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 04:06 AM

Looking good,Chris. Only thing I see is the hood support is awful close to the radiator, could affect air flow.
  • Cvans said thank you

#34 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 05:52 AM

Great project, and nice work. Looking forward to seeing more updates.
And good luck today.
  • Cvans said thank you

#35 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 09:05 AM

Looking good,Chris. Only thing I see is the hood support is awful close to the radiator, could affect air flow.

Your right. It is actually against the radiator and is coming out. That was the cooling baffle for the Kohler engine.
  • KennyP said thank you

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:16 AM

Can you just trim it so that air comes thru, but you still have the support it gives the hood? Maybe just cut out the area behind the fan?
  • Cvans said thank you

#37 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:38 AM

I purchased mine from McMaster Carr and they are rated at 370 lbs each.

Could you please provide the part # for those mounts?
They have so many different ones available.
I'm going to need something for my project, and finding stuff like
that up here, is nearly impossible.
Thanks

How's the tooth feeling?
  • Cvans said thank you

#38 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Can you just trim it so that air comes thru, but you still have the support it gives the hood?

When I took the baffle out yesterday I notice another set of slots closer to the engine so I may move it over there and see how things work out. Thanks for the Idea though.

Yes. Here it is. # 9376K31 3/4"H x 2"W. 3/8" male/male thread. I use the natural rubber because it stays more pliable in colder climates. I think if I lived 3 sheets farther to the south I would use the urethane as it is more resistant to oil and other contaminates. If you want the Neoprene you will have to specify that when ordering.

How's the tooth feeling?

Much better thank you. Almost back to normal this morning.
  • limebuzz, IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#39 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:06 AM

They have so many different ones available.
I'm going to need something for my project, and finding stuff like
that up here, is nearly impossible.
Thanks

How's the tooth feeling?

Will, I tried to order from McMaster and they cancelled my order at the last minute after taking my CC info. The reason was that I was not an existing customer! They only ship to existing Canadian customers apparently.
Try this place for motor mounts. They will sell small orders, 50$ min.I think, and ship from within Canada. http://www.rpmmech.com/
When selecting a mount it is important not to get one too stiff, as that raises the resonant frequency and you could end up with a mount that resonates at say 3600rpms which means you will get much more vibration at that speed than with a softer mount that would resonate below the common operating range.
  • IamSherwood, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#40 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Surprisingly as high as these mounts are rated you can still put your hand on top of the engine and get movement while rocking the engine. When I went from the smaller mounts to these the tractor shakes a lot less and feels smoother.

Worked on some of the smaller stuff today. Mounted the radiator and fit the hoses. Ordered an inline filler neck with the pressure cap as there is no place to fill the cooling system. This is to be installed in the top radiator hose. Should be here the middle of next week.
Bolens diesel 11-2-12 008.JPG
Bolens diesel 11-2-12 009.JPG

Then for some unknown reason I started on the the wiring. Made a little headway but as usual I discovered I'm going to need more relays Seems like coming up short of parts gets to be more common the older I get :(. Maybe tomorrow I'll plumb the fuel system and install the lift pump.
Bolens diesel 11-2-12 010.JPG

Sure miss the pressure washer when working on these things in the winter. Every time I turn around I'm finding something that should have been cleaned before starting this.

#41 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 05:31 AM

Chris, the spring rate of the mount and the weight on the mount create a mechanical resonance. The more weight you put on a mount of a given spring rate the lower the resonant frequency. The mount you have selected for the relatively heavy diesel would produce a much higher resonant frequency when loaded by a much lighter single cylinder gas engine. The attenuation of vibration happens above the resonant frequency. My jd2320 has big thick rubber mounts similar to what you are using. It's smooth as glass when running but moves a lot at shut off as the engine speed moves down through the resonance. For this reason the mounts are "snubbed" or mechanically limited in their travel to prevent them from being damaged. You may find you get a similar affect when you shut down the engine. The other reason to snub a mount of this type is to limit movement if a mount fails. The plate mounts that are typically used on many of the JD CC and Ford garden tractors use large washers to limit the movement. This makes it easy to snub that style of mount which I think is one reason why they were used. I've been doing some research on mounts trying to find an alternative to the super expensive front mounts on the JD 300 series tractors I own.
  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Brian, I bookmarked your link above. They have some neat things, never know when something may come up. Thanks.

#43 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 10:48 AM

My Kubota came with small and very limber mounts. That little diesel shakes like crazy when idling and smooths out under load but still moves around quite a bit. After putting an Kubota engine in the Bolens I had the same things going on except the engine would torque over quite a bit under load. With these mounts the engine still shakes some when idling but as the rpm increases things smooth out nicely up through full throttle and no sharp impulses are felt through the seat or steering wheel. Engine torques over only a small amount. Maybe I just got lucky.
The rubber mounts on the Kohler that were in the Bolens originally felt smooth but left the shields on the engines cracked. Horizontal twins should run smoother than vertical twins if designed correctly.
Thanks for taking the time to post your information. Much more to this than one would think for.

#44 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 12:01 PM

As the mounts age they can change in characteristics as well. If exposed to oil a natural rubber mount will swell up and soften. This was the case in the 317 I bought this summer. The front right mount was getting a lot of oil from a leaking breather and the mount was swelled up noticeably. After I pulled the engine I could see that the mount was pretty much shot, the centre part being almost like cheese, and allowing a lot of extra movement. There is a simple formula for calculating the resonant frequency of a mount and I'll post a link if I can. There are 2 different specs that can get confused. The capacity of the mount and the spring rate. A mount that is too small to hold the weight won't work properly even if the spring rate is correct. Another issue occurs if you have a PTO on the front of the engine with a clutch controlled belt drive like the JD 317. When the belts are engaged extra weight is put on the front end of the engine due to belt tension. This can mess with the mounts and it is the reason the JD's have the thicker front mounts which are not standard and can not be purchased from anywhere else but JD unless you will buy a large quantity. It's over 200$ to replace the 4 mounts on a JD 314 or 317. That bites and I'm trying to find an alternative. The obvious one is to mount the engine solid to the frame! Heres a really good link from a company who supplies a lot of mounts.
http://www.novibes.c...ionAndShock.pdf
  • Texas Deere and Horse and Cvans have said thanks

#45 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 01:02 PM

JD., That is a lot to take in, but is very helpful. Thanks for posting, I will be using this to figure out what mounts I need to use on my conversion.