• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 06:13 AM

Very nice documentation of the project Chris. I'm sure that will be a very sweet diesel GT when you are done.
  • Cvans said thank you

#18 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 11:10 AM

The next time I get drug along to the in-law's in-laws out in Watertown, I'm sneaking out to your place. Keep those pics a-comin'.

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Posted Today, 11:10 AM
The next time I get drug along to the in-law's in-laws out in Watertown, I'm sneaking out to your place. Keep those pics a-comin'.

Your sure welcome. Let us know when your in the area and we will leave the light on. :D

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Today was the day to tackle the PTO adapter. The first photo shows the serpentine pulley that is bolted to the flywheel. Didn't really want to damage it in case I needed to drive something off of it in the future but I did what to install an 1 1/4" shaft to run the PTO with.
First thing was to mount the pulley in the lathe and true up the center bore of the pulley.
Bolens diesel 10 29 12 001.JPG

After that it was time to machine out another flange with the same OD of the pulley and a shoulder to fit the ID of the pulley. Then bore the flange to a press fit and weld the flange to the shaft. Back to the lathe to true everything up.
Bolens diesel 10 29 12 002.JPG

The shoulder on the flange is only .050 but is snug enough to support the weight of the pulley. This will keep everything on center with the crankshaft and also in alignment when drilling the holes to mount the flange
Bolens diesel 10 29 12 003.JPG

Next the 6 holes where laid out and then drilled and tapped. Then it's back to the back shop and see how things go together.
Bolens diesel 10 29 12 004.JPG

From the looks of the next photo it appears that the the tractors PTO pulley and the flywheel shaft pulley are going to line up pretty nicely. The engine is very close to it's final position so I think things will work out OK. The shafts length will be reduced and a key-way cut into the shaft when the pulley is installed.
Bolens diesel 10 29 12 005.JPG

Here you can see the engine with the hydro shaft and the flywheel pulley shaft installed. Hopefully tomorrow I can make some headway on the motor mounts. With any luck the mounts will be here tomorrow. McMaster-Carr is pretty fast about getting things shipped.
Bolens diesel 10 29 12 006.JPG
  • olcowhand and twostep have said thanks

#21 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Was able to fabricate the engine mounts today. Hopefully the hoist will no longer be needed. Unfortunately the camera was up at the house so I didn't do a very good job of taking pictures today. After painting the parts black and assembling them they didn't photograph well so I will try and give a brief description of what took place today.
Bolens diesel 10-30-2012 001.JPG

The mount attached to the engine block is a 2" x 3" x 1/4" angle iron with the 3" side against the block. I took another length (18") of this same angle iron and ran it along the inside of the frame with the 3" side against the frame. These will be attached there with 3/8" self threading bolts. To get the height needed for the oil pan to clear everything I needed at least 1 1/2 " of clearance between the two 2" legs of the angle iron. Mounting the rubber iso mounts on the two inch leg of the frame angle iron and using a 1" square tube top of the mount to set the engine on gave me an 1 3/4" clearance. A 1" x 1 1/2" laid flat would have worked better but I didn't have that on hand. Tomorrow I will finish bolting the angles to the frame rails and start planning the radiator installation.
Bolens diesel 10-30-2012 002.JPG

Here you can see how things are starting to line up. The upper pulley is just setting on the shaft with no hub. The crankshaft actually came out lower than the original Kohler. I'm going to need shorter belts.
Bolens diesel 10-30-2012 003.JPG
  • olcowhand, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'm envious of your shop time Chris! Very nice work you're doing my friend!
  • Cvans said thank you

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Daniel this free time was a looooong time in coming. Now I'm enjoying it so much and hope all here can someday experience the same thing.

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:57 PM

How's the abscess doing?

#25 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Better but I'm going to be glad when I can get in on Thursday and get it looked at. Seems to be worse in the evenings and mornings. For 6 hours on Sunday afternoon the pain went completely away and I slept like a log. My wife bless her heart just let me sleep and it felt wonderful. Now it's getting sensitive to cold so I have to drink warm water. :mad2:

#26 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Chris, Your work is impressive to say the least. I hadn't thought about using ISO mounts on mine, but am going to now. Hope the tooth continues to get better.

#27 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:19 PM

Brian if you decide to use these mounts make sure you purchase them with a high enough rating. I purchased mine from McMaster Carr and they are rated at 370 lbs each. This sounds excessive but it is not. They have to not only support the weight of the engine but must absorb the engines power pulses and torque but also any sudden loads applied to the tractor. I installed ones rated for lighter loads on my other Bolens conversion and replaced then with these.
Good luck with your project.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and IamSherwood have said thanks

#28 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thanks Chris, I will go with these. I use McMaster-Carr at work, great supplier.

#29 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Finished bolting the frame rails to the frame and placed the radiator were I'd like to see it go. Then replaced the hood and everything fits.
Bolens Diesel 10-31-12 001.JPG
Bolens Diesel 10-31-12 002.JPG

Looks to be plenty of clearance between the engine and the underside of the hood for the engine and radiator. I am going to have to remove the old baffle. I'm really happy that I'm not going to have to modify the hood on this project.
Bolens Diesel 10-31-12 003.JPG
Bolens Diesel 10-31-12 004.JPG

Quit early today as the weather was beautiful. Took the plane up and enjoyed the afternoon.

#30 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Did the electric fan come with the package, or was it scrounged up somewhere else? Pretty slim set up.