#1 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 5,602 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 09:17 PM

This afternoon I started another conversion. 2 years ago I did a Bolens GT2000 conversion and installed a loader on it. In that one I used a Kubota Z620, 16hp. I have used and enjoyed this tractor so when the opportunity came up last week to pick up another one of these tractors for $400.00 I jumped on it. Below is a photo of both of the tractors.

Bolens 10-26-12 010.JPG

I like these tractors because they come with power steering, 2spd. hydro, dual hydraulics, and cruise control which is just an electronic lock on the hydro pedal. They are also easy to get on and off which is an asset when your getting older.
Started the project at 4pm and by 5:20pm the engine was out and I was stripping off the parts that I don't plan to sell with the engine.

Bolens 10-26-12 012.JPG Bolens 10-26-12 013.JPG
Bolens 10-26-12 015.JPG

After getting done with the engine it was place on a dolly and rolled out of the way. Then using the other Bolens the Yanmar was brought into the shop and placed on the hoist. By 7pm the engine was setting in it's rough position along with the radiator.

Bolens 10-26-12 016.JPG Bolens 10-26-12 018.JPG

Unfortunately I'm dealing with an abscessed tooth that has slowed me down. I'm on antibiotics for it but was told this will not help with the pain. So until my appointment on 10/02 this is going to be an off and on project. I'm going to try and take a lot of photos along the way as I've been pretty lazy about doing this in the past. If I'm up to it tomorrow the plan is to machine a drive shaft adapter and maybe get some motor mounts fabricated.
  • nglauer said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,162 Thanks
  • 42,641 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Sorry to hear of the tooth problem. But this should be very informative to follow. Looks great so far!

#3 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,578 Thanks
  • 6,403 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 10:27 PM

It sure does look great so far. Pretty fast work if you ask me.

Sorry to hear about your tooth. Mouth pain is one of the worst. Robs you of sleep, and is a constant bother till the dentist. Good luck with the tooth.

#4 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 660 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 10:56 PM

Wow, you don't mess around! Thats some quick work, and I look forward to following this build! Sorry to hear about the tooth, there is no pain quit like an abcessing tooth. They can make you feel like beating your head against a wall. :wallbanging:

Matt

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 5,602 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the pain support. Right now I have enough pills in me to make it livable. It does look like I got a lot done but up to this point is was mainly unbolting things. The real fun is just beginning. Things will progress much slower now. I have to get the rubber mounts ordered tomorrow. Please help me remember. :D

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,703 Thanks
  • 30,337 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 11:15 PM

Looking good Chris, and I look forward to following this build. An abscess is painful for sure. Hope you feel better SOON!

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 04:43 AM

Chris,I will be following this one. Sorry to hear of your tooth trouble,hope you get it fixed up quickly.

#8 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,233 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:01 AM

Oh good lord.....I've had that tooth issue...don't wanna sleep, talk , eat , breath. Doctor told me to take antibiotics and of course they didn't work. I talked to a pain management doctor and he gave me a remedy that worked instantly. It works for damn near everything. He said instead of taking 800mg ibuprofen or 800mg motrin, go to family dollar and buy a cheap bottle of tylenol and cheap bottle of ibuprofen. Take 2 ibuprofen and 3 tylenol at same time. the mg's are less even tho its more pills but when you do it that way, as soon as the ibuprofen takes the swelling down, the tylenol is right there to do the pain relief. If you take them at different times, by the time the tylenol kicks in, the swelling has already come back and the tylenol cant get to the pain source. Sounded complicated but I was willing to try anything....now i use that method for everything and even my haunting back pain that seems to come around at the worst time. Enough from me, congrats on the Bolens and I hope you get to keep pluggin along.....

#9 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,816 Thanks
  • 9,448 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the pain support. Right now I have enough pills in me to make it livable. It does look like I got a lot done but up to this point is was mainly unbolting things. The real fun is just beginning. Things will progress much slower now. I have to get the rubber mounts ordered tomorrow. Please help me remember. :D

Chris? You're supposed to order the rubber mounts today.
  • Cvans said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 33,162 Thanks
  • 42,641 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 07:09 AM

:ditto: :yeah_that: Have you ordered them yet?
  • Cvans said thank you

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 5,602 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the reminders guys. It really did help. :thumbs:

My wife is an RN and just to confirm what farmlife is saying about Tylenol and Ibuprofen, it does work very well when take alternately. I've been doing this for the last two days and it works good. I do have higher powered medication for my back but refrain from using it because is makes me groggy.
Now I better git to McMaster Carr and order some mounts. :D

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 5,602 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 12:20 PM

:dancingbanana: Mounts are ordered and ship Monday :dancingbanana: Thanks guys!

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 5,602 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Today was the day to fabricate the crankshaft adapter. Needed to adapt the Bolens drive shaft to the Yanmar crankshaft.
Bolens diesel 10-22-12 001.JPG

First thing was to fabricate a stub shaft that would fit the machined recess in the Bolens flange and weld it in place. Then place the the shaft assy. in the lathe and turn down the flange so it doesn't interfere with the bolts on the new flange.
Bolens diesel 10-22-12 002.JPG

Next was the fabrication of the new flange, boring to fit the stub shaft, beveling the bore on one side for welding to the shaft.
Bolens diesel 10-22-12 004.JPG

Then the new flange is welded into place and the shaft is returned to the lathe to cool. Next is facing to remove any distortion that may have occurred from welding. Lay out and drill the holes to match the Yanmar crankshaft. Then a final check of the run out. In the past I've drilled the holes in the flange first and have been disappointed with the end results.
Bolens diesel 10-22-12 005.JPG

Now the sweating as I walk to the back shop to see if it is going to work. Thankfully it did. Being a shade tree machinist doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
Bolens diesel 10-22-12 006.JPG
  • KennyP and Taylorv have said thanks

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,499 Thanks
  • 15,397 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thanks Chris for the follow thru, I am getting ready to do one similar to this. I'll be watching for your next updates. :thumbs:
  • Cvans said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 33,162 Thanks
  • 42,641 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 03:25 AM

Nice looking adapter. The pics are a great help in understanding what you did.
  • Cvans said thank you