Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Battery Corner

battery charging charger specific gravity voltage load testing multimeter winter battery storage

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 09:47 AM

That is a good price on 12 V floating chargers, though I am not a fan of HF, just sayin,,,,
  • Cvans said thank you

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 09:50 AM

Me either but a buck is still a buck. I've even stepped so low as to eat zucchini so ordering from HF is not the end of the world.

#18 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:22 AM

I just bought a battery maintainer from Walmart for $20.

One note on using a battery load tester, you need to charge the battery first before you test it. Otherwise it will test bad.

#19 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:26 AM

I don't use those felt disks and don't like that battery terminal spray. If I find corrosion, I remove the cables and dip the ends in water and baking soda. I clean the posts with this mixture also. Dry them off, clean with a worn out old plumbers brush, then smear some wheel bearing grease on everything. Put the cables back on, tighten and smear the grease around on the bolts. I hardly ever have to deal with any corrosion. I only have the vehicles and the lawn tractor but I start that often in the winter as I use it for my transportation around the property. Usually started every couple of weeks, any time of year.

#20 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:31 AM

I agree with Robert_p43. But also make sure the rest of your battery is clean. Dust and oil mist can set on your battery top and create a voltage drain between the pos and neg.

#21 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 12:47 PM

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#22 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 07:08 PM

As for corrosion on the posts or side terminals, what I've found works good for me is antiseize. I do the same as using grease like Robertp43 described. I make sure there is a good thick coat around the base of the posts in case the batt starts gassing out around the post. This is usually what causes corrosion to begin with. After attaching the clamps I liberally coat them w/ antiseize. It works as good as grease and is conductive.
Mike
  • marlboro180 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery, charging, charger, specific gravity, voltage, load testing, multimeter, winter battery storage