#16 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 04:40 PM

I enjoy working in the timber! :smile1: But I have an endless wood supply about 30 miles from home & time to do it. I used to fell the trees, cut & load my 16' trailer (16" sides, thrown in, not stacked) in three hours. Now it takes me three hours to load the front 7' of the same trailer & I'm DONE for the day! :( Fortunately, Now that I'm retired, I have more time to do it.

Also, I try not to crank my saw until it cools off in the Fall! I do have a tractor splitter, but prefer to split with a maul, if the weather isn't too warm. I'll have to modify my splitter to work with the JD 790, since it uses tractor hydraulics. ~~ grnspot110

#17 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 05:26 PM

I'll add a #4 lesson to Daniels list... If at all possible, when hauling firewood, take along someone younger than you, to do the work, while you stand around to supervise and tell them how good it is for them to learn how to work hard! :D

I'll have to agree with you Bill. My 17 year old son is as indestructible as I thought I was when I was his age. That being said, I can still out work him at 41. He doesn't quit, doesn't want to be outdone by the old man, but I can tell he gets worn down quicker than I do. Which works out for me, 'cause then I have to slow down so he can keep up.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 06:03 PM

My son turned 30 yesterday & is a strapping 6'+. I can still outlast him, but not because of brawn, but because of conviction to getting a job done. He is learning conviction, but slowly, but slow & steady is better than nothing by far! I can possibly outlast him physically too, but I don't run contests any more, just wanna see the job at hand finished. When I was his age & younger, my friends & I made a contest out of everything we did. Age teaches many things!

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 15, 2010 - 07:36 AM

I figured you guys would like to see this. I started splitting after work on Friday for about 2 hours and then finished up on Saturday. I started Sat. morning around 9am and finished around 2pm. I had an hour and a half break in there to tinker with an old saw to try and get running. I think I need helper springs for the truck, the suspension is bottomed out on the back of the truck, I wasn't worried about it since I was only going around to the back side of the house. The tongue of the trailer did dig into the grass in a couple spots on the way around though LOL. I think there is about 2 1/2 chords there.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0298.jpg
  • DSC_0297.jpg

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 15, 2010 - 07:58 AM

Looks like you got quite a bit of work done!

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted August 15, 2010 - 09:00 AM

When I was younger & still showing Polled Herefords, we pulled a larger (for the era) stock trailer with a 1/2 ton Chevy. We had the same problem with it, but the problem went away with one of these. (Like it anyways)
http://t3.gstatic.co...X8KgwoEGB9eWnQ=
We did that for 2 years. Then Dad had the chance to buy a heavy duty 3/4 ton "Well Truck Special". We didn't have to use the bars anymore but with the 2" lift that was built into the truck, I did have to slow down a little. I've since learned that you shouldn't go fast with a trailer anyways. Of the thousands of things my father has taught me, how to haul safely is one of the things I use the most. Thanks Dad.

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 15, 2010 - 09:11 AM

The stabilizer bars are another option. A lot of rv camper pullers use them. My only thing I would have against them is with how off and on the trailer is I know some of the stabilizer bars can be a pain to get hooked. Especially if you are dropping a loaded trailer. The newer designs might be better now. It is one of those things too that I would hate to invest money in the pickup when it was a cash truck and we will sooner or later get a 3/4 ton hopefully with a cummins LOL

#23 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 16, 2010 - 04:46 PM

We managed to finish getting all of the wood stacked on Sunday then. Got most of it stacked on Saturday but got to the point I was just plum worn out and had to call it quits. I have a maple tree to cut down this Saturday and I am just going to roll it off the truck and trailer to work on later because Sunday I am going to get another load of oak. Should have about 4 more loads of oak to get so we should have plenty of wood seasoned for next year.