• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:11 AM

We went to get some red oak off of a guy yesterday. I have about 4 more loads to get yet. He wanted $40 a pickup load so I took my pickup and my 6' x 16' tandem trailer with 1' sides also. I figured I would give him $120 for the load since it is basically like having 3 pickup loads. Here are some of the lessons that I learned:

1) I am out of shape
2) I forgot how heavy red oak is
3) I am out of shape
3) Safety chain sucks
3) New 362 with full chisel chain rocks but still bogs down
4) I am out of shape
5) My F150 needs helper springs
6) I need to make my wife start taking steroids
7) Next time wait till fall or early morning cooler day, yesterday was 94* and 80% humidity
8) Don't freeze water if you plan on drinking all of it within 2 hours, for some reason it wouldn't thaw out.
9) I am out of shape
10) Only do it if you know you are going to have time before it gets dark to get a full load.

I think the 362 needs a little more tuning. With the safety chain on she did pretty good and it was hard to bog it down. With about 10 more cuts to make the safety chain was dulled out so I put a loop of the full chisel chain on it. The 362 did great and I can't believe how much the full chisel bogs her down without even putting pressure on it. Most of the logs we cut up were about 18" diameter. I have about 3 or 4 more loads to get, I just wish it was a little closer to me. I know next time we are going on the weekend in the morning so it is cooler and we have all the time we need so we can take our time. I also need to get some wedges because I was having a hard time with some of the logs with compression, we had a digging iron but some of the logs were 30' in length and no room to get under them to do an undercut without burying the bar in the dirt.

I now have 4 tanks through the 362, I can't wait to put a few more on it and start running synthetic and also do the muff mod. I wish the 362 was a little lighter but I am sure the more I use it the weight will become a non issue. It is tough going from an office job to doing physical labor LMAO. The guy was nice and gave me $20 back since we only filled the pickup bed half full. We just simply ran out of time.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:25 AM

1) I am out of shape
3) I am out of shape
4) I am out of shape
6) I need to make my wife start taking steroids
9) I am out of shape

Just taking a sip of coffee. Wonder I didn't wake the kids choking.

Glad you're getting some hardwood. Sounds like you need one of these tho. Northern Industrial Timberjack with Fiberglass Handle

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:30 AM

LOL :D

Yes, cutting and hauling fire wood is a workout. Once you get to cutting more and more it wont seem as bad.

#4 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:31 AM

George,
You are right unseasoned red oak is HEAVY, but will be good burning next year........
and yes most every time I grab the saw and start on firewood I realize that a desk job 6 out of the 8.5 hrs a day I put in at work means I'm out of shape too, the other thing it reminds me of is I ain't 25 any more and that sucks when it slaps me in the face.....:rolleyes:
Glad the saw is working for you!!
Peter

Edited by powerking56, August 12, 2010 - 08:08 AM.

#5 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:48 AM

Yeah hard work like cutting wood (not so much the cutting, but the moving cut peices) really does let you see the weak spots sitting at a desk all day causes.

I try to do something physical a couple days a week after work to keep from getting weak. Also in April I started going to a fit camp work out (think boot camp style drills mix with biggest loser type work outs, and intensity) at lunch with my coworkers, that really showed me how out of shape I was. 5 months later I feel a lot better, have lost 20 pounds and feel like I have gained lots of muscule.

I have a ton of wood I need to split, I have 3 trailer loads of hickory I cut over 1.5 years ago. It should be nice and dry now. Got a couple cherry trees that need to come down as well.

How do ya feel today George?

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:55 AM

Just taking a sip of coffee. Wonder I didn't wake the kids choking.

Glad you're getting some hardwood. Sounds like you need one of these tho. Northern Industrial Timberjack with Fiberglass Handle

Some of the stuff everyone posts has made me spill/spit/choke on coffee many of times LOL

I bought a fiskars super splitter and a chopping axe. I am anxious to give them a try. The super splitter has received a lot of good reviews. Time will tell. I just gotta figure out a way to talk my wife into doing it LOL.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:58 AM

Yeah hard work like cutting wood (not so much the cutting, but the moving cut peices) really does let you see the weak spots sitting at a desk all day causes.

I try to do something physical a couple days a week after work to keep from getting weak. Also in April I started going to a fit camp work out (think boot camp style drills mix with biggest loser type work outs, and intensity) at lunch with my coworkers, that really showed me how out of shape I was. 5 months later I feel a lot better, have lost 20 pounds and feel like I have gained lots of muscule.

I have a ton of wood I need to split, I have 3 trailer loads of hickory I cut over 1.5 years ago. It should be nice and dry now. Got a couple cherry trees that need to come down as well.

How do ya feel today George?

I don't feel too bad other then just being tired. I got a good bit of exercise moving stuff the last couple weeks. This stuff wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't on the side of the hill about 40 - 60' from the trailer and of course it was uphill to get to the trailer LOL.

I will take some pics tonight when I get home of the load, it was raining hardcore this morning when we were leaving for work.

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 08:02 AM

George, lesson #1....NEVER cut firewood in the hottest hell days of summer! Lesson #2....Work smarter, not harder, so NEVER cut firewood in the hottest hell days of summer. Lesson #3....Get in shape BEFORE cutting firewood, and NEVER cut firewood in the hottest hell days of summer!

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 08:26 AM

George, lesson #1....NEVER cut firewood in the hottest hell days of summer! Lesson #2....Work smarter, not harder, so NEVER cut firewood in the hottest hell days of summer. Lesson #3....Get in shape BEFORE cutting firewood, and NEVER cut firewood in the hottest hell days of summer!

What can I say, I am a glutton(sp?) for punishment LOL

I promise it will be cooler next time haha.

#10 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 11:54 AM

I think OldCowhand should set up a boot camp get in shape program at his farm. He would whip you sissys into shape in no time. The only problem would be the psychological harm he would cause by trying to make everyone believe Masseys are better than Case. And then there are the spiders.......

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 12:22 PM

I think OldCowhand should set up a boot camp get in shape program at his farm. He would whip you sissys into shape in no time. The only problem would be the psychological harm he would cause by trying to make everyone believe Masseys are better than Case. And then there are the spiders.......

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#12 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 01:03 PM

you sissys

:sensored::say_what:Who you calling a sissy?

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 01:32 PM

Yes sir,cutting and hauling firewood is hard work,if your not used to it.

#14 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 02:24 PM

Living in the country in the woods I always seem to have to cut and haul wood.I kinda enjoy doing it,and as surprising as it is my little guy has been helping me since he could walk.He actually loves when we go out and cut and haul,he used to haul with his little truck and then after getting the MF 85 for him he pulled a wagon behind and hauled with that.Now of course its using the 4 wheeler and trailer to do that.And yes it is hard work if one's not used to it.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• small truck (Small) (2).jpg

#15 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 03:24 PM

I'll add a #4 lesson to Daniels list... If at all possible, when hauling firewood, take along someone younger than you, to do the work, while you stand around to supervise and tell them how good it is for them to learn how to work hard! :D