7 replies to this topic

#1 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 07:48 PM

Hey;

Got the 42" Ford blower set up on the tractor and have questions.
My rear ballast box has 250 pounds in it, have wheel chains, no tire ballast or wheel weights, and will be working a drive that has in one place a 20 degree slope.
So any ideas as to what will make this work well aside from what I stated would surely be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• JacobsenUT34001Side.jpg

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Wheel weights work wonderful and add traction with minimal effects to the tractor .

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 08:27 PM

I'm wondering if you could make some cable chains fit on the turf tires?
Mike

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 10:05 PM

It looks like that is a 40 something inch blower. My Sears is a 42 and I made due with 120 lbs of wheel weights and chains. The only real issue was backing up the hill with the blower raised. When the blower is up, the rear got light. Several times I had to back drag the blower until I got over the hump.

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 05:42 AM

This year I will be useing the ol Ariens snowblower (walkbehind), but I've plowed pretty much every year. I'd say with that much weight plus the tire chains you have you should be fine (long as you don't weigh 120 lbs...lol)...wheel weights work great but even at a 20 deg slope I doubt you'll need em. I never did and my whelhorse that I mainly plowed with was smaller than what you have set up. If your really worried, wheel weights are always an option but I think you'll be fine. If ya get a chance, come first snowfall....make a video. I think you'll be surprised what it'll do...

#6 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 05:56 AM

My dad has one of these and they are the most useless things I have ever seen. With the original turf tires, 2-link chains, wheel weights and 200 pounds on the back it would not blow snow going down hill. Spin spin spin. We ended up using 6-12 ag tires with v-bar ice chains modified so the crosser would stay on top of every outside rubber V tread. The 15 crossers make for a rough ride but the one or two v-bars of each crosser in contact with the frozen ground at any given time are an improvement. Still have the wheel weights and rear ballast on it. The front end is just too heavy on these tractors.

Garry

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:34 AM

With 250 pounds on the rear, and chains on the rear tires, you're going to be fine.

#8 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 05:44 PM

I have another blower question.

After greasing up all and putting on all new chain I still hear a noise coming out of the blower.

is this normal? I notice a slight amount of slop in the "sliding" driveshaft, but can find nothing wrong..

Any help is appreciated.