• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Some of you may already know about this. I learned it many yrs ago on the job. Find a discarded/ unwanted 1/4 drum. Cut it off just above the bottom ring, I used a cutoff wheel. You can also use an O/A torch or sabre saw. Using a BFH, pound the edge down inside until flat working around gradually, usually takes a couple of turns. Then laying it on welding table or workbench, gradually hammer it down on the inside of the ring. Next set it on the floor upright and using the BFH for backup on the outside, use a LFH to pound the edge flat against the inside of the ring.
As long as you don't run over it or let water sit in it for extended periods it'll last forever.
Mikedrain pan 001 (Small).jpg drain pan 002 (Small).jpg drain pan 003 (Small).jpg drain pan 004 (Small).jpg drain pan 005 (Small).jpg drain pan 006 (Small).jpg
  • mjodrey, tractorman604, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 06:04 PM

That looks like it will make a great drain pan!

EVERYBODY, be careful when cutting the drum! Make 100% sure that the drum did not contain a flamable substance! Even if it is empty, the sparks from cutting, or the torch flame can ignite any remaining gas, liquid or other flamable substance! BE CAREFUL!
  • HDWildBill, bowtiebutler956 and ol' stonebreaker have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 06:20 PM

That does look like a good drain pan.

Ryan thanks for the safety tip you are absolutely right even if it is empty fumes cans still linger.
  • ol' stonebreaker said thank you

#4 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Yes those pesky fumes can linger. I cut into a 250 gallon drum that was supposed to have been drained of all its fuel oil about 15 years earlier. I think they had gasoline in it instead. The drum started to make all kinds of noises and flame came shooting out the open fill hole. I nearly wet myself.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 07:43 PM

I nearly wet myself.

Nearly? I would have wet myself and done a lot more!!! :oh_shucks:

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thanks, Ryan. Good safety tip. Most all of these style have a removable lid so you can ascertain what was in it last. Mine was rescued from the dump and the lid was already gone.
Mike

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the tip OSB! That looks like the cat's meow when it comes to durable recycling at it's finest!
I usually get used oil drums from work to use for all my "used drum" needs. While not explosive by nature, the residue in the bottom DOES burn. The fire is a risk in this case, but easily controlled. It's the smoke that will kill you! Thanks for the safety tip Ryan!

#8 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 05:26 AM

I've never seen one ignite myself, however I have heard of it happening more than once and the results have never been good. Great idea on making the drain pan tho. I never really thought of it. Its pretty genius actually. :thumbs:

#9 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:51 PM

There was a student in Ottawa ? that was told to cut into a barrel (that was said not to contain Any thing flammable) there was a explosion he passed a way and no the school boards have gotten very Safety wise (a bit to much actually) any thing that enters the shop MUST be drained of fuel and you cant do any thing with fuel no lines no pumps filter And on No tanks or barrels ... if your going to cut a barrel Fill it with water to displace all the Ox and other stuff and cut it with snips or a chisel... Any ways Nice oil pan i have always just cut the side out of the oil jug
Cheers
Ty

#10 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:52 PM

And when you finish the lip on your steel drain pan, heat up a section of the rim and shape it using a piece of C-channel or I-Beam into a nice pouring spout.

(Good Lord, has it been that long since I worked in that ESSO station where I used a tub like that...?:D)

#11 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 12:22 AM

Have a one eyed friend because when he was 17 the tried to look in the small bung hole while holding a lighter at the large bung hole for light and it ignited.

#12 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:22 PM

Along the same theme... I'm sure this is old news, but I found a "NEW AND IMPROVED" way of keeping the area under my Kawi oil filter clean while changing it. It's the upper end of a plastic quart oil bottle with the top screwed on. I just kept trimming the bottom off it until I could snake it over the frame and hold it under the oil filter lip cast onto the block. Mine came from a 10w-30 container but I'll bet other grades will work almost as well. :D This fabrication came about because I could not find the cut off bottom of the dish washer soap container I've always used since '04. I know I'll find it when I finally move the shop shelving...

Edited by HydroHarold, November 21, 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 05:34 AM

That does make a nice drain pan.