• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:26 PM

I just wanted to hear this old engine knock a bit more. Really, I wanted to check the electrics all out. Everything is cool there.Second gear is a goner. I will be changing out the complete front axle assy. as well. Too much play. The right front wheel bushings are also toast. I think the fuel pump is also bad.

#32 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Wow, guess I'm going to be welding and jerry rigging my front axle assy. some. You are lucky Kenny, I had to spend about $150 for my Craftsman, only I had probably 100 pounds of wheels weights in that too, but no ag tires.... or front wheels....

If my engine isn't going to work I will be rigging a lot more....

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Let me get this one out, may be just needing bushings. I know the parts one is tighter than this one. Spindles are tight in the axle. Once I get the wheels off, I'll know what's going on there. May be tomorrow I'll get it off.

#34 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 07:02 PM

No big hurry Kenny, I have yet to determine if the rear end in mine actually works. I know mine looks like a money pit to me right now.... I have to tear down ALL of the steering to replace one bushing that no longer exists, and the front axle that wiggle so much it might fall off lol. Then the head bolt that broke off, and don't even know if the starter works Lol. So you are ahead of me by about $120 lol.

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 03:48 AM

I'll pull the front axles this morning and swap. then tear down the other one to see what is the problem with it. I may use the parts tires on the front of the Ford. They are in a bit better shape. The fronts on the new tractor will stay on it.
The Hi/Lo lever on the parts tractor is a bit stiff, I'll have to check that out while I'm changing things. Need to change out the lube while I'm at it.

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 03:58 PM

Axle swap is complete. The original axle had a loose pivot bolt which wore the center bushing and bolt badly. RH wheel had a flange bearing put into the inside of the wheel, sloppy fit. RH spindle is worn badly both ways, axle and wheel. He wasn't getting grease into it.
I got the rear end out of the parts tractor and the dash off it. I can be working on those parts to have ready for install.
Anybody know what brand the drive axle is? I have a serial and type, but haven't a clue who made it. I may need axle seals for it.
Image026.jpg Image027.jpg
Image028.jpg

#37 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 04:02 PM

Good progress Kenny, I never check the lube in the rear ends on my Craftsman, figure if they can't handle that, they will let me know lol.

#38 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 04:18 PM

I drained this axle, only had a quart in it, should be 5. The axle seals look to be leaking badly, but I washed most of that off. That's why I am looking for the brand of the drive axle. I just hope I can get the hubs off to get to them.

#39 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 04:30 PM

You should be dealing with splined aluminum hubs, and those do come off really easily on those GT18's as I have had mine off a couple times on the Caterpillar. Of course with them being aluminum they have worn and do have a little slop.
  • KennyP said thank you

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 06:21 AM

I went to the Sears parts site and the seals and outer bearings are still available. Ordered those for both sides, $26 with shipping. I need to pickup the 5 qts. of 30wt. to refill. I'll clean this all up and repaint before it goes in. I will look at getting the rear part of the frame cleaned and painted before I put it in. I can be working on the better dash getting it ready. Lots of things I can take off the parts tractor and paint up. That will speed up the process quite a bit.

#41 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 04:44 PM

You are going all out I see. I am just going to cobble mine together the best I can lol.

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Not really, Casey. Just fixing some things while I have a chance. No since putting that axle in if it is going to leak all the oil out.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#43 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:42 AM

In post #36, I asked about the drive axle. Anyone have a clue who made this? The one in the $30 tractor has second gear out of it. Some gears are still available through Sears, but a manual on this may help to tear it down and fix it. I don't want to take it apart if I can't figure out how it goes back together.

#44 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 02:01 PM

Help me out with that Type# and I will bounce it off my shop tomorrow. I cant quite make out the last few numbers. Let me have the tractor numbers too.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, October 30, 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#45 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 05:03 PM

KennyP you have a knack for finding the "deal" without much I want to do a project with the Briggs 18, but here that mower is $250.

I can attest to that ! EVERYTHING seems to bring too much money, in this state. :(
  • A.C.T. said thank you