Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Briggs And Stratton Valve Keepers

briggs and stratton valve keeper

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 4,042 Thanks
  • 3,841 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:18 PM

I have recently run into a strange problem. On a B&S 12hp vertical and a B&S 8hp horizontal the intake valve keepers came off while the engines were running. The 8hp is over 25 years old with little use and the 12hp is 15+ years old and was recently rebuilt. The keepers are washer like with a key hole shaped center hole. I don't recall ever seeing this before. Its an easy fix but it is anoying. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by boyscout862, October 25, 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#2 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 02:55 AM

Easy fix for this.
Use the exhaust split keepers. You'll have to modify the intake valve to accept them.
Several methods of doing this, if you have a lathe that is best, if not you can chuck the valve up in a drill press and use a die grinder or I have even done them with a hand drill and bench grinder.

Another popular fix is to use two of the washer style keepers turned 180 deg from each other, then place a very small tack weld on the washers.

Now with all that said, there is a reason why they come off and that is usually lack of spring seat pressure. You see it mostly on engines that have had new valves installed or new seats or had original seats re-cut. Of you even reseated the valves, you'll need to shim the springs to get the seat pressure back.
  • tractorman604, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 05:51 AM

RoosterLew I never ran into this problem before but if it happened on a engine that wasn't just rebuilt say maybe just a good running old engine would you try just new springs and keepers first without tearing the engine apart ? Al

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

tractor hunter

• Member No: 2523
  • 512 Thanks
  • 1,107 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 08:31 AM

i never had this issue. and never seen it in my life. I would try shaving down the valve or lifters.

#5 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 07:55 PM

You could try new springs and keepers, you will have to pull the head to get the springs on. If you have the head off you might as well lap the valves!
I have seen a lot of Briggs with a dropped intake keeper.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 07:55 PM

i never had this issue. and never seen it in my life. I would try shaving down the valve or lifters.

Not sure how this would fix his problem?

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 4,042 Thanks
  • 3,841 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 12:30 PM

I put them back together and they run fine. RoosterLew thankyou for your suggestions. I was wondering if I had done something wrong on the 12hp when I rebuilt it. The valves had been so good that I only lapped them lightly. But when the 8 hp, which has less than 20 hrs on it, let go I was suspicious. I am thinking of making a clip to push into the big part of the keeper hole so that it can't come off but, I realize that is risky.

#8 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 12:45 PM

If you do replace the springs. On the 12 HP I use Tecumseh ohv's springs, they are a bit stiffer and hold up better.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: briggs and stratton, valve keeper