#1 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:16 AM

I have been watching a Patio John Deere #80 dump cart on Craigslist for a few months and was able to pick it up for a good price. It has some rust to deal with, but with a bit of repair and restoration will be a nice collection piece.

I am curious to know if anyone has restored a rusty #80 cart before. taking care of the exterior rust is one thing, however the hollow tail-gate and tube (top of sides) may be difficult to get inside to remediate rust. I think the tail-gate could be cut in half, repaired, and then re-welded.

However, I am looking for a good way to get inside the top side tubes and ensure there is no rust and put a good coating inside the tubes. Ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG2289.jpg
  • IMAG2290.jpg
  • IMAG2288.jpg
  • IMAG2287.jpg

• johndeereelfman and Trav1s have said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:25 AM

Great find!
  • markdombroski said thank you

#3 ajcan OFFLINE  

ajcan
  • Member No: 10208
  • 55 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 01:35 PM

If you are not worried about the pitting inside which you probably are not I have used a spray professional product called "Rust-Mort".I have gotten it from a body shop buddy of mine but when I ran out I found it on ePay.Not cheap and does not work well when appearance is improtant.I like using it on badly rusted/pitted metal.It is a rust transformer.Turns rust into sandable primeable metal.Only issue I have had is it it tough to sand and get smooth.Hence I like to use it on non visible ares.That would work great on the insides of the tubes.Apply the product either spray or pour and let it set.Rinse it clean and your ready to go.Here is one link on ePay,
http://www.ebay.com/...cat=0&_from=R40

Hope this helps you out.

AJ

#4 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 01:42 PM

If you are not worried about the pitting inside which you probably are not I have used a spray professional product called "Rust-Mort".I have gotten it from a body shop buddy of mine but when I ran out I found it on ePay.Not cheap and does not work well when appearance is improtant.I like using it on badly rusted/pitted metal.It is a rust transformer.Turns rust into sandable primeable metal.Only issue I have had is it it tough to sand and get smooth.Hence I like to use it on non visible ares.That would work great on the insides of the tubes.Apply the product either spray or pour and let it set.Rinse it clean and your ready to go.Here is one link on ePay,
http://www.ebay.com/...cat=0&_from=R40

Hope this helps you out.

AJ

Hi AJ, excellent suggestion. I do have some Rust-Mort and used it in my teen years helping my dad fix a rusted battery box in a car. I think that applying rust mort to the inside of the tube will arrest the rust process. I can then rinse and then put additional paint coat inside the tube.

- Mark

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 01:47 PM

Nice little wagon. Can't wait to see it redone.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, October 25, 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Congrats Mark. That cart looks like the same one, that a fellow member was wanting to sell a couple of weeks ago. I believe the serial number of his cart was #34379. I even think he was from your area too. Anyway, nice find, and good luck with the restoration.

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 26, 2012 - 06:06 AM.

#7 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Congrats Mark. That cart looks like the same one, that a fellow members was wanting to sell a couple of weeks ago. I believe the serial number of his cart was #34379. I even think he was from your area too. Anyway, nice find, and good luck with the restoration.

Hi Troy, it is the same cart, and I just found his GTT post. It is surprising to me that the cart did not sell over the past few months on Craigslist. There are not as many collectors in my area compared to the Mid-West. I think that most people just see a rusty dump cart and do not recognize the vintage status of the #80 model or even that it is a Patio.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hi Troy, it is the same cart, and I just found his GTT post. It is surprising to me that the cart did not sell over the past few months on Craigslist. There are not as many collectors in my area compared to the Mid-West. I think that most people just see a rusty dump cart and do not recognize the vintage status of the #80 model or even that it is a Patio.

I agree. I have been waiting for a deal on a #80 cart. I also noticed the GT's are much higher here.

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 07:16 PM

I don't know what you paid for it, or even what his asking price was, but if he and I would have lived closer, I'd have bought it. I'm not a patio collector, but it is the only model/cart made between 1963-1974, that I don't have yet in my collection. I have the 8, the 50, (3) brass tag 80's, and (1) aluminum tag 80. It's just a matter of time until I come across one.

Congrats again Mark, you did well!
  • markdombroski and A.C.T. have said thanks

#10 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Nice trailer mark!! I have also used a product called " ospho" ( I think that's the name of it) for killing rust and surface prep.

#11 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 10:43 AM

I don't know what you paid for it, or even what his asking price was, but if he and I would have lived closer, I'd have bought it. I'm not a patio collector, but it is the only model/cart made between 1963-1974, that I don't have yet in my collection. I have the 8, the 50, (3) brass tag 80's, and (1) aluminum tag 80. It's just a matter of time until I come across one.

Congrats again Mark, you did well!

Hi Troy, what a cool collection of carts you have. Do you have a model/serial number break-down reference. I would like to know the years of my two #80 carts.

Regards,

- M
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#12 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Nice trailer mark!! I have also used a product called " ospho" ( I think that's the name of it) for killing rust and surface prep.

Hi Collin, thank you for the recommendation. I have heard of this stuff, but will take a closer look at it. How is your new 140?
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hi Troy, what a cool collection of carts you have. Do you have a model/serial number break-down reference. I would like to know the years of my two #80 carts.

Regards,

- M

Mark, send me a PM sometime with the serial numbers and tag material descriptions, and I'll help you out as much as I can.