twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 08:37 AM

http://lexington.cra...3362704430.html

It boggles my mind why someone would spend so much time and energy moving weight from point A to point B and not accomplishing anything. If you want a workout… WORK find something that you can that is accomplishing something. Not just pushing weight. Don’t hit a tire with a sledge hammer… find a big limestone rock and make some gravel out of it. Or link up with someone that needs a ditch dug and do it by hand. Better yet, volunteer at a church or habitat. I wish I had so many hours in my day that I needed to push a tire around just to use up some of my time.

This reminds me of when I was about 9 or 10 and my older brother wanted a weight set… my dad’s response to him was to do sit-ups, pull-ups and to curl the 5 gallon buckets of water that he had to carry to the barn for the dogs… (all of that is of course on top of picking peppers, hoeing the garden and tobacco, push mowing an acre and any other chore he could come up with for us) when that’s not a challenge anymore we’ll talk about a weight set.

I guess that mentality has stuck with me.

Edited by twostep, October 25, 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#2 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Some of those guys are paid to be in those competitions by suppliers.. If you want to be the best in your field you must practise what you will be doing in the competition. Mind you i'm also a ex gym monkey.. So i understand why he does what he does. To each their own.. I wish he was closer.. I have a pair of tractor tires he could have..

#3 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 25, 2012 - 08:53 AM

I like watching the "worlds strongest man" competition. They are far from smart though. When you get that big tire stood up, spin it 1/4 turn and roll it. :loosing_it:
  • twostep said thank you

#4 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 09:10 AM

I've flipped tires as part of my work out before. When you have a desk job and spend to much time at it sometimes a daily work out is your only chance for physical activity. And a nice thing about flipping a tire is its different than just doing the same work out routine day in, day out.

I go to a work out class that mainly uses kettle bells, but on occasion we flip tires, do farmers carries around the block, and some other non traditional exercises. It breaks things up and keeps it from getting old. The destination isn't the goal, the journey is.

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 09:21 AM

I like watching the "worlds strongest man" competition. They are far from smart though. When you get that big tire stood up, spin it 1/4 turn and roll it. :loosing_it:

better yet, toss a chain around it and drag it with the GT :smilewink:

But yeah, as the saying goes "what ever floats your boat". I use to run (3 mile jogs really) and really enjoyed the stress releaving part of it. Of course that was before kids and owning a house... now there just isn't time.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 10:06 AM

I agree with TWOSTEPs dad (and mine), get something accomplished when you're working out. I cut split and burn wood and do yard work for exercise. For the Army I had to supplement that with a two mile run, push ups, and sit ups (but not since I retired 10 years ago). To each their own. Good Luck
  • twostep said thank you

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 01:54 PM

I had a guy call me about some tractor tires I am giving away, but he decided it was too far to come for free workout equipment. I told him if he really wanted a workout he should come with me on a job. I am 43 with a bad back and I have worked gym rats into the ground because the constant work is a whole different kettle of fish. Nothing like lifting engine block and other heavy metal objects to get a good workout.
  • twostep said thank you

#8 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 06:34 PM

I agree, I would rather do something productive then lift weights. I have never lifted a traditional weight in my life, yet I am in just as good of shape as a lot of the people who go to the gym (talking people my age). But, for some people they might rather be in a gym. I know somebody who can leg press 1200 pounds all day, and he is only 17! Now, remember that is several hundred pounds more then your average GT! It is just what he likes to do, and if he (or anybody) would rather work out in a gym then who am I to tell him it is better to do it a different way?

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 10:38 AM

I cut split and burn wood and do yard work for exercise.

Oh my, I forgot all about splitting wood. A couple of weeks ago, I was helping the old man split a big trailer load of logging cut-offs (with a hydraulic splitter). When we were finished dad says "could you imagine splitting all of that by hand" to which I replied "yes I can, what, you don't remember making me split wood in the barnyard all those years?" He just chuckled.
  • caseguy said thank you