33 replies to this topic

#1 tmhrmh OFFLINE  

tmhrmh

• Member No: 1023
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 09:27 AM

Guy's,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question...A good friend of mine has a Case lawn tractor and it was
his grandfathers..He died about 4 months ago and now he wants to sell it...I haven't seen it yet and he doesn't know anything about it...He knows it will run because he rode it himself...

Here comes the questions...

I know it has a 21hp kohler engine...
It has a 50 something inch stainless steel deck...
It has a 3-pt hitch system...
It has a disk and plow...
It has hydra or hydraulic on the hood..

My question is that I can't find what model it is because I can't find one with a 21hp kohler engine...

Also, is it worth $200 to purchase it...

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 09:33 AM

First, Welcome to GTtalk.
Some of the Case guys around here will be able to help you with the model.
A pic would also help.
From what I know about Case I would grab it for $200.

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 09:35 AM

Yes I would buy any running garden tractor that has a 3pt for $200.

Would like to have pictures of the stainless steel deck.

#4 tmhrmh OFFLINE  

tmhrmh

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 09:39 AM

Thanks...

I suppose to go look at it tomorrow or Friday...

Has anyone heard about a 21hp kohler engine on the case tractor?

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 09:46 AM

tmhrmh:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.

Without even seeing it,I would have to say it's worth $200.

Edited by mjodrey, August 11, 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#6 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 10:13 AM

Yes I would buy any running garden tractor that has a 3pt for $200.

Would like to have pictures of the stainless steel deck.

:ditto:

Any garden tractor with a 3 point in running shape would well beworth that price.

#7 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 10:15 AM

Thanks...

I suppose to go look at it tomorrow or Friday...

Has anyone heard about a 21hp kohler engine on the case tractor?

I dont think they ever had one from the factory that way. I think some of the newer (4020) series had 20 hp onan engines

Edited by Chuck_050382, August 11, 2010 - 10:16 AM.
speling

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 11:21 AM

Welcome to GTtalk. If this was 5 miles from my house i would be there in 4 min. That wouldn't be a Sale it would be a STEAL.

#9 tmhrmh OFFLINE  

tmhrmh

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 12:04 PM

Thanks guy's....I also found out that the body is red from front to back...

Does this help any...

#10 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 12:09 PM

Guy's,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question...A good friend of mine has a Case lawn tractor and it was his grandfathers..He died about 4 months ago and now he wants to sell it...

Hmmmmm. The guy is dead and now he wants to sell the tractor? Was he under the impression he could take it with him? :D:D:D:D

I haven't seen it yet and he doesn't know anything about it...He knows it will run because he rode it himself...

Here comes the questions...

I know it has a 21hp kohler engine...

It is quite likely it has a Kohler engine but it won't be 21hp unless someone removed the original engine and installed that one. The highest hp Kohler used in a Case was 14 hp.

It has a 50 something inch stainless steel deck...

The largest deck has a 60 inch cut width. I suspect that this deck is actually a 44" cut width and someone is including the discharge chute in their measurements. Secondly, if it is actually stainless steel, then someone had that deck made custom. Case never made any deck from stainless.

It has a 3-pt hitch system...

If that is true, then the hitch by itself is worth double what you are paying for this package. Most likely, this is either a 444 model if they are right about it being a Kohler engine but it could also be a repowered 446 or 448 model.

It has a disk and plow...

It just keeps on getting better and better for you, doesn't it? :D:D:D:D

The plow is likely worth anywhere from $80.00 to $125.00 depending up brand, model condition and whether it's a 3 pt or a sleeve hitch style. If the disc sets are in good condition then even a single set is in the same price range as the plow. If it's a double gang three point disc set, then I'd value those at $150.00 to $200.00.

It has hydra or hydraulic on the hood..

That doesn't help much. Lots of models said either "hydriv" or "hydrastatic drive" on them. I have no idea why they used the name hydriv. :blush2::blush2::blush2: Sounds silly to me.

My question is that I can't find what model it is because I can't find one with a 21hp kohler engine...

Also, is it worth $200 to purchase it...

No it's not. The whole package isn't worth more than fifty bucks and you shouldn't buy it. Instead, send me a PM telling me where it is located so I can go haul all that scrap away. :madhop::D:D:D

Any help would be appreciated...

If you had any idea just how annoying it is for some of us to hear about such a deal on this list and not be able to snag it for ourselves.............aaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh. If you don't grab this, you need to be bytch-slapped into the next millenium. Once you OWN this tractor, get the bugs out and start using it, that's when you will come to understand my reply to you. Now....stop whatever it is you are doing. Put your trailer on your vehicle and go get this package.

Thanks

You can thank me later.

#11 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 12:12 PM

Thanks guy's....I also found out that the body is red from front to back...

Does this help any...

Yes and no.

It tells me that it is at least a 1977 model or newer and it is not a late 83 or 84 model. What colour are the wheel rims?

#12 tmhrmh OFFLINE  

tmhrmh

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hydriv,

Thanks for the replys...Thats the kind of answers I was looking for....

As far as the rim colors go, I'll find out tomorrow when I go look at it...

To clear things up, it it my friend that has it for sale and his grandfather died about 4 months ago...He is just calling
it an eyesore and wants to get it out of the yard...

I'll update everyone friday on the status...By the way, the mower is in Mobile,Al.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 02:50 PM

Mobile huh....street & house number? :bigrofl:
Seriously...get it no matter what your impression of it. Worth way & beyond the asking price. But they surely never say "hydrostatic" on them, as they are certainly not hydrostatic, but hydraulic drive. There IS a major difference. It is definitely a no-brainer deal, but not knowing them, I understand your asking. That's exactly what GTT is all about...helping each other out.

#14 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 02:57 PM

Hydriv,

Thanks for the replys...Thats the kind of answers I was looking for....

As far as the rim colors go, I'll find out tomorrow when I go look at it...

Better yet......take a digi photo of all four sides of the tractor plus photos of all attachments and then post them here in your thread.

At the very least, you can make the regulars DROOL all over their keyboards. At best, we can help clear up some of the mystery.

In addition, jot down the model number and serial number. You may find those on a metal tag riveted to the dash tower or on the left side of the frame.

To clear things up, it it my friend that has it for sale and his grandfather died about 4 months ago...He is just calling
it an eyesore and wants to get it out of the yard...

I fully understood that but I just couldn't help taking advantage of your wording. :D:D:D

I'll update everyone friday on the status...By the way, the mower is in Mobile,Al.

Mobile is......sadly..... too far a drive for me to steal this steal-of-a-deal out from under you. :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging:

#15 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 03:01 PM

But they surely never say "hydrostatic" on them, as they are certainly not hydrostatic, but hydraulic drive. There IS a major difference. It is definitely a no-brainer deal, but not knowing them, I understand your asking. That's exactly what GTT is all about...helping each other out.

Dan, you are right that they are hydraulic drive and not hydrOstatic. However, in the early years, for reasons beyond my comprehension, Case wrote "HydrAstatic Drive" on the hood decals. Of course, this has led to confusion and arguments on some forums but what would a forum be without the odd one of them? :bigrofl: