Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Ask her if she'd rather you spend your time and money in a bar every night, and drinking to the point, that you have nothing to show for the money you spent. If that doesn't get a reaction from her, then ask her if she'd rather you ride another woman instead of a garden tractor. Willing to bet you'll get a reaction then!

Troy I don't know if he should ask her that {LOL}

OK I will give you an out jessylee just show her one of my pics and tell here your not as bad as this guy

Attached Thumbnails

• Kenny's shop Jun 10 2012 008.JPG
  • Kenny's shop Jun 10 2012 010.JPG

• Bolens 1000, johndeereelfman and jessylee have said thanks

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 06:09 PM

I would hazard that if she has supported you to this point, she's a keeper. As for how to get another tractor in the stable...
I pretended I was all caught up on current projects. Didn't have anything to work on. So I stayed inside for three consecutive evenings. Talked to her, asked a lot of questions, became really attentive and helpful. In short, i became exactly what shes always said she wanted me to be.

It was about the time I started rearranging the cupboards in the kitchen that she told me to go out with the guys, go break something so I could fix it, anything to get me out from underfoot. She hasn't pestered me much since then except to say no because of $ or hold my hobby over my head when she wants something.
  • Canawler, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 4 others have said thanks

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Alan, that's the correct way to handle it! Get in her way or similar. She'll send you out where you want to be.
  • jessylee said thank you

#19 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Well, I've been married to my GF for 40 years now.

She has always been pretty accepting of my 'hobbies' and I can't remember the last time that she has given me any grief over them.

Of course, I stay current on the SET** which helps as well.

** SET – Spousal Equity Tax. If you’re lucky, it only amounts to 100 percent of the cost of whatever it was you bought without SWMBO’s blessing. Usually in the form of new furniture, carpets, a complete remodel, or even a new house.

Edited by OldBuzzard, October 24, 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#20 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:16 PM

They're still making new girlfriends everyday. They're not making old tractors.

Amen!

Ask her if she'd rather you spend your time and money in a bar every night, and drinking to the point, that you have nothing to show for the money you spent. If that doesn't get a reaction from her, then ask her if she'd rather you ride another woman instead of a garden tractor. Willing to bet you'll get a reaction then!

This is sort of what my wife says about me...."Well, he could have worse habits....the GT's keep him out of the bars"!
  • johndeereelfman and jessylee have said thanks

#21 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:28 PM

I have yet to see a guy change the woman in his life to his way of thinking when it comes to things like this. I've known girl friends to take an interest in her boy friends hobby until married and then they go right back to their old habits. You can not change and will not change her. You need to accept each other as you are. The biggest mistake either party can make going into a relationship is thinking the other party will understand later.
Find someone who has common interest and beliefs and you will remove 50% of the hassle in a relationship. Also the demands on your available funds are going to increase dramatically as the size of your family increases. This is normal and should be expected. I put my interests aside for 20 years and have no regrets. But boy am I making up for it now. :smilewink:
Good luck to you!

#22 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Kenny, I want to come down and play in your back yard! Man could I have some fun there!

#23 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:30 PM

My wife has gotten used to it.I tell her at least you can see where the money is going.She is started to claim the ones she likes as her own.haha

#24 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:42 PM

They're still making new girlfriends everyday. They're not making old tractors.

quote of the day.

#25 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Troy I don't know if he should ask her that {LOL}

OK I will give you an out jessylee just show her one of my pics and tell here your not as bad as this guy

Those pictures show an accomplishment! Congratulations

Years ago I was told that one of the differences between men and women going into a relationship is that women expect to change the man and men expect the woman to stay the same. Most of the time the men dont change and the women do. This causes disappointments and frustrations for both sides. Women say their ideal man is a certain way. It has often occured to me that that type of guy is not interested in women.

I'm lucky my wife of 34 years used to like to drive tractors of all sizes. He father built her a custom GT with a 4 cylinder Wakeshau engine, hydraulics and 60" mower when she was 11 and thats 50 years ago. Its pretty neat, Swede used the rear and stearing from an old Crosley car. I got about 36 tractors in the yard. I got her an easy to use rider his spring which she likes. I occasionally hear from her to get rid of some of the junk lawn tractors but thats all.

#26 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 09:08 PM

WEll, we have not heard back from the OP in a bit, maybe he is taking all the aforementioned tales , and formulating his plan....

I for one, have a lovely lady that called me in the cold of winter while I was away one evening ( okay many- used to plow lots of snow) , she was peeved because the loader at home won't start for her, and all she wanted to do was move some snow . Got home at 6 AM, and there she was , out running the loader in our driveway and told me I might be outta a job as she figured out how to get it running on her own.... :-)

Just saying, all folks are different, all relationships are different and hopefully our girlfriends and wives interests are in the same thing, us as people.

Of course , it's a bonus if tractors are cool to them too.

Edited by marlboro180, October 24, 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#27 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Ok, I asked the wife about this topic, and it all comes down to this. She wouldn't mind me buying garden tractors if the following was met:

1. I had enough room to store all of them, and they wouldn't be seen by the neighbors.
2. I would use them. Right now, I use one as my main tractor, and the rest of them just sit in the sheds. She is tired of me using the excuse that I have to buy new batteries for each of them, and then don't use them.
3. I spend an entire weekend getting them all out and washing them, just to put them all back in the shed. If I am looking to fulfill my extra time, I could be doing honey-do lists around the house.
4. I tell her that I want to start going to more shows, every winter, but then when Spring rolls around, I never take any of the tractors to a show, because I don't feel like loading and unloading all of them.
5. All I talk about and think about is tractors. I can't have a normal conversation without bringing tractors into the topic.
6. She thinks there is a lot better choices of reading material, then an operators or owners manual.

So I asked her thoughts about if there is anything good about the collection she likes. Here is what I got:

1. At least they are all the same color.
2. She likes the fact that I take good care of them, probably better than our vehicles.
3. She's happy that I have the kids involved with the collection, and that I take them with me when I do decide to attend shows.
4. She enjoys the time that I spend teaching and showing the kids how the tractors operate, and how to drive them safely.
5. She likes the fact that I'm not spending our money on drugs or alcohol, and likes that she knows where I'm at every night. (Shed)
6. She knows that I take pride in the collection, and that I worked hard to get it to where it is right now, and that it means a lot to me. Knowing that I'm content, makes her content.

All and all, I think she's pretty special. But then again, she has to be in order to deal with me!
  • MH81, KennyP, truck21 and 1 other said thanks

#28 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Kenny, I want to come down and play in your back yard! Man could I have some fun there!

Troy you know anytime you want it's here

and just for the one's are wondering Yes I do have a wife of 26 years {I guess she has me almost trained and doesn't want to start over} :smilewink:
  • truck21, johndeereelfman and jessylee have said thanks

#29 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 10:57 PM

All and all, I think she's pretty special. But then again, she has to be in order to deal with me!

You and me both. After the kids were grown and gone we both enjoy our hobbies with no strings attached.
We get along and agree with each other. She's a peach.

#30 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 03:21 AM

LOL GO A HEAD AND ASK ! But we want shiner picks later !
All I can say is good luck! Your gonna need it!!