#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 08:47 PM

With the end of the gardening season upon us, I cleaned off a couple of cayenne pepper plants and got a 5-gallon bucket full of green and red peppers. I have already dried/crushed 2-3 quart jars full, so I started thinking of what else I could do with this abundance of peppers (and there are 3 more plants left to clean off!!). I remembered seeing how Tabasco pepper sauce was made, and decided to ferment the cayennes and see what kind of sauce results. I now have ten and a half quarts of fermenting peppers in the cupboard (just a mixture of peppers, water, sea salt, and some minced garlic, tightly sealed in mason jars). The recipes on the internet said it could be ready in as little as two weeks, but considering that the Tabasco folks ferment theirs for 3 years, I thought I'd wait at least a month and see how it goes.

(Also in the early stages of making some wine...... gathering up a 15-gallon keg tomorrow, a couple of 5-gallon glass jugs, and some grapes. I've been recently acquainted with a guy named Chris Ranalli, who ownes/operates Ranalli Farms/Ranalli Produce just down the road from me. He's offered to give me all the grapes I can stand! Nice guy, huh?)

Edited by nra1ifer, October 23, 2012 - 08:48 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 09:25 PM

I am waiting to hear how the Hot Sauce turns out, :beer: Let me know when the wine is ready. :thumbs: Good Luck and glad to see you back with us. :wave:
  • nra1ifer said thank you

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 04:14 AM

Not much on the tobasco however if you find someone to try it out on, please include pics!!! As for the wine, I've always wanted to try and make wine. I've looked into it a bit and haven't found that precious time to actually do it yet. That's great you found someone supplyin all those grapes. :beerchug:

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 05:42 AM

Never thought of making tobasco sauce can't wait to hear how it comes out . Guess it's easy to dry the peppers where you live ? I tried a little dryer that had a small light bulb in it but I didn't get them dry enough , Al

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:33 AM

put some trinidad scorpion pepper in it

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 08:58 AM

That's a great idea; I usually dry the extras. I will be interested to see how yours comes out.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 09:57 AM

Jo has been canning like crazy all summer. I know she planted some cayenne and had intended to make some hot sauce.
But I don't know if she did? I do know she dried a lot of them.

#8 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Never thought of making tobasco sauce can't wait to hear how it comes out . Guess it's easy to dry the peppers where you live ? I tried a little dryer that had a small light bulb in it but I didn't get them dry enough , Al

I live in NW Arkansas. Although it does get humid here, I was able to simply cut the peppers in small pieces with kitchen shears and leave the pieces spread out on a large cookie sheet. We left it out in the kitchen for several days until the peppers were dry enough to crush. Then, loaded them into one of those chopper jars (that has a spring-loaded plunger vertically through the top) and chopped the heck out of them.

Edited by nra1ifer, October 24, 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 08:33 PM

(Also in the early stages of making some wine...... gathering up a 15-gallon keg tomorrow, a couple of 5-gallon glass jugs, and some grapes. I've been recently acquainted with a guy named Chris Ranalli, who ownes/operates Ranalli Farms/Ranalli Produce just down the road from me. He's offered to give me all the grapes I can stand! Nice guy, huh?)

Wanna hear something that was frustrating at first, but isn't so bad now??

Wife and I went to pick up the 15-gallon keg, 2 5-gallon glass carboys, 2 1-gallon glass jugs, and some airlocks. We had settled on $90 for the lot. Well, got there and met this young man and his young family: a wife and PRECIOUS 8-month-old boy twins. We start transfering the stuff from his vehicle to mine when I realize that the keg has the top cut out of it!!! Can't use that for making wine!!! However, it IS set up to use for brewing BEER: it has a nice stainless ball valve and a thermometer on it. I didn't say anything to the young man, went ahead and paid him, visited awhile so my wife could oggle the babies, then left. My wife was feeling guilty for having negotiated down from $100, wondered if we should have just given them the extra $10. That's when I reminded her to keep those charitable thoughts in her head while I told her that the keg couldn't be used for wine, and that we had just donated $60 to that couple for something we couldn't use. Then, my normal instinct of looking at the bright side kicked in........

I'LL JUST HAVE TO MAKE SOME BEER, TOO!!!!!! DARN THE LUCK!!!!

So, tomorrow I'll contact another local guy that was advertising a 15-gallon keg, and from the pictures and from talking to him, it's simply an empty Bud Light keg. He's asking $50, and it should work for wine.

Edited by nra1ifer, October 24, 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 02:46 AM

When I have a lot of peppers to dry, I just find an old screen door and set it on some saw horses in the back yard. Just make sure they don't get rained on.

#11 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 02:49 AM

When I have a lot of peppers to dry, I just find an old screen door and set it on some saw horses in the back yard. Just make sure they don't get rained on.

Yes, I was puting the cookie sheets out in the hot sun earlier this summer. It was good for quite some time, but one day I was looking at them and noticed that some tiny ants were just about to get in to them, so I took them inside and have done it in the kitchen since.

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 02:51 AM

You do have to watch for bugs.

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Easy solution. Mail them to me. LOL.

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 02:46 PM

For those cayenne peppers, make some salsa: lay them out on a cookie sheet and turn the oven broiler on. stick them in there for a couple of minutes and just as soon as you see some peels popping away from the fruit pull them out (the peellings will continue to pull away from the fruit as they cool). Then if you wan to put the effort into it you can de-seed them to reduce the heat. throw them in a food processer and add them to your favorite salsa recipe.

I realize that the keg has the top cut out of it!!! Can't use that for making wine!!!

is that open top keg not intended to be used as the primary fermenter? when you first start your mash you want it to be in an wide topped container so you can get the fruit in/out easily and so the CO2 that is being expelled doesn't boil out of your airlocks. Then for the first racking you put it into the glass carboys. I use 5 gallon buckets for my primary but would love to have some stainless steel kegs... just too expensive.

I don't know your knowledge of winemaking so no offense intended :beer:

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 08:44 PM

I asked Jo tonight if she made the hot sauce. She said she did not but had made pepper paste instead.