32 replies to this topic

#16 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:36 PM

OK so I have decided to make a cap to close the original pump seat and to follow Bobs lead. I finished installing it this evening but when I tried to crank the engine the batery was dead. Since I have been hiding in the barn for the past 3 days fixing snowmobiles and minitrail bikes, I have decided to let the battery charge over night and test the new pump comes the mornin.

#17 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Well, no luck mates :( The engine doesnt give me pressure enough to run the pump. Im gonna have to orer the damned china made plastic pump for 150+ bucks comes monday. God I hate cheap plastic made crap that cannot be fixed. I always feel ripped off when buying them.
  • 1oldbuzz said thank you

#18 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 12:31 PM

Eureka!!! Finally have the darn fuel pump problem fixed :D I toyught the engine didnt give enough pressure to run the snowmobile pump because I coulnt see the gas move in the gas line. Finaly got over my aprehention and took the carb out. The darn valve in the crab was stuck. After a 5 minute cleaning job the point valve looked ok so I reinstalled the carb in place and the Bolens started right up :) .

So, for you guys looking for a cheap replacemnt fuel pump, this is the way to go. I used a single carb snowmobile Mikuni fuel pump. The best thing about it is that theese pumps can be serviced and cost on ly 47$ to replace

#19 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Congratulations! Does this mean that the original pump may still work too? I'm very glad you got it running. We're supposed to get a big storm again later this week.
  • hatedge said thank you

#20 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Congratulations! Does this mean that the original pump may still work too? I'm very glad you got it running. We're supposed to get a big storm again later this week.

Nah the original pump was shot anyway. Now Im gonna figure out a better setup to install the pump permanently. For now its just sitting there rattle-ing on top of the valve cover and the rubber fuel lines have a tendency to kink. Ill see if I can rig a solid lines set-up. If it looks good then ill show some pics

Edited by hatedge, November 05, 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#21 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Now that the fuel pump is up and working, I need to fix the problem the engine had before the pump died. The engine is constantly revving and the engine dies un less I keep the throttle all the way open. Can anyone walk me through what I need to look at and how to go about it please?

#22 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 10:17 AM

Two possible problems: insufficient fuel(plugged idle jet) or a vacuum leak. Inspect for loose carb or intake manifold mounts, missing plugs on the carb, and a crack in the manifold. I'd visually inspect everything first. Second, count the turns as you turn the idle mixture screw in until it is lightly seated. Then back it out completely. Inspect it and clean it. Use a spray can of carb cleanner with a straw to clean inside the idle jet. Reassemble the idle screw into the carb and turn it in until lightly seated. Then back it out the number of turns that you originally counted. I suspect he idle jet because of the previous valve problem. Check the operation of your choke too. Then try it. Good Luck
  • hatedge said thank you

#23 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Inspect for loose carb or intake manifold mounts, missing plugs on the carb, and a crack in the manifold. I suspect he idle jet because of the previous valve problem. Check the operation of your choke too. Then try it. Good Luck

Sounds like a logical place to start from. Shouldve tought of it on my own :wallbanging:
Altough I have not the faintest idea about the use and workings of the governor thing and seeing it go back and forth revving the engine I figured the governor was the problem. Another thing on my list of things I MUST learn more about and completely understand before I go messing with it, the other one being liquid cooled engines. (Like the one I just killed after meddling with it in the barn :mad2: )

#24 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:46 PM

You can build a nice library of manuals from GTT, the yahoo Bolens group, kohler and Briggs and Stratten. I think that the old Briggs manuals do a good job of explaining how each component of the engine works. I recently discovered UTUBE which has many how to videos.

I pick up a blown engines at the dump for parts and to see how they are assembled. Better to practice on junk than good stuff. Fifteen years ago I picked up an old B&S engine at the dump. I just used it to repair a similar engine on my sons' tractor. Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, November 14, 2012 - 07:07 PM.

• hatedge said thank you

#25 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hatedge there is a thread about parts suppliers in Canada, that started today. Seems to have some good links.
  • hatedge said thank you

#26 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:56 PM

What? where?

#27 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Try this link. http://gardentractor...ada#entry232042
  • hatedge said thank you

#28 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Two possible problems: insufficient fuel(plugged idle jet) or a vacuum leak. Inspect for loose carb or intake manifold mounts, missing plugs on the carb, and a crack in the manifold. I'd visually inspect everything first. Second, count the turns as you turn the idle mixture screw in until it is lightly seated. Then back it out completely. Inspect it and clean it. Use a spray can of carb cleanner with a straw to clean inside the idle jet. Reassemble the idle screw into the carb and turn it in until lightly seated. Then back it out the number of turns that you originally counted. I suspect he idle jet because of the previous valve problem. Check the operation of your choke too. Then try it. Good Luck

Did just that today. Sorry it took so long but the baby is on the way and I have tons of renovation going on. So, I took the carb apart cleaned everything with carb cleaner and used compressed air in every jets and hole I could get to. Reassembled everything tightly and cranked up the engine. It seems to run smoother but it still revs at low speed. I tried adjusting the carb but nothing seems to work. Upon inspection I find the throttle cable to have a good bit of loose in it but I fail to see this as being related to the revving engine problem. Still hoping to hear someone offering a magical way to fix it. Tomorow if the weather holds Ill try and spray some carb cleaner around the carb while the engine is runnig, if theres a air leak the engine should rev up and I might discover an unvisible leak somewhere. Anymore advice for me mates?
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#29 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 05:49 PM

I hope that all is well with your wife. One other thing with the carb, check the play in the throttle butterfly. If it is very warn, it is a vacuum leak.
  • hatedge and A.C.T. have said thanks

#30 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Hatedge there is a thread about parts suppliers in Canada, that started today. Seems to have some good links.

Congrats for hitting the 100 mark on thanks!
  • boyscout862 and hatedge have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler, bolens, 1886