32 replies to this topic

#1 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 08:15 PM

Can anyone tell me where to find the breather on this engine please? I want to use it to power a diaphragm gas pump.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 09:05 PM

The manual says " K482 and K532 models use a closed or positive type breather system." ..." A tube connects the breather to the air inlet side of the carberator." I'm not sure if this will provide enough pressure changes to operate the fuel pump.

If the old pump is shot take it apart to see if you can fabricate a repair. I've temporarily made diaphrams with bicycle tire tube rubber but they only lasted a week or two.

Good Luck, I hope you can get the tractor going.
  • hatedge said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 05:02 AM

You can usually find aftermarket replacement pumps on ebay or you could substitute a low pressure electric pump as well.
  • hatedge said thank you

#4 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 06:54 AM

The manual says " K482 and K532 models use a closed or positive type breather system." ..." A tube connects the breather to the air inlet side of the carberator." I'm not sure if this will provide enough pressure changes to operate the fuel pump.

If the old pump is shot take it apart to see if you can fabricate a repair. I've temporarily made diaphrams with bicycle tire tube rubber but they only lasted a week or two.

Good Luck, I hope you can get the tractor going.

I dont think i need much pressure to operate my fuel pump. Its a snowmobile gas pump and that works on low pressure. I did open the original pump up to try and fix it but even with sealant around the diaphragm it still doesnt pump. It seems to me that its leaking from the rivet in the center...... Hey! I'll try and buck that rivet some more too see if I can get it to seal.

You say the breather connects to the air inlet? can you tell me where it comes out the engine?

#5 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:04 AM

You can usually find aftermarket replacement pumps on ebay or you could substitute a low pressure electric pump as well.

Yeah I know about after market pumps, They sell 'em for 150$ and up. The places I find them for a lower price dont deliver in Canada.
As for electric pump I am looking into it but they are pretty close to the same price. My buddy who owns a small engine repair shop tells me that its not worth it since a 30$ snowmobile pump is so easy to come by and install.

Considering I restore and repair antique snowmobiles, I have many snowmobile gas pumps at my disposal. Since my tractor is a working horse and not a restore, I dont see the need for such high priced original parts if I can avoid them.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 10:25 AM

I dont think i need much pressure to operate my fuel pump. Its a snowmobile gas pump and that works on low pressure. I did open the original pump up to try and fix it but even with sealant around the diaphragm it still doesnt pump. It seems to me that its leaking from the rivet in the center...... Hey! I'll try and buck that rivet some more too see if I can get it to seal.

You say the breather connects to the air inlet? can you tell me where it comes out the engine?

The manual doesn't show a picture or diagram. I'd look around the carb for the tube and follow it to the engine breather. They usually cover the access to the valves. Good Luck

By the way, what material did you use for the replacement diaphragm? Was the old diaphragm torn?

Edited by boyscout862, October 24, 2012 - 10:26 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Have you tried looking on the kohler site for the service manual or parts diagrams. On a KT17 the valve covers are on the top of the engine and the breather tube comes from one of them and terminates inside the shroud. I'm not sure on the 482/532 but a parts diagram should give yo the info. you need.
  • hatedge said thank you

#8 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:20 PM

The manual doesn't show a picture or diagram. I'd look around the carb for the tube and follow it to the engine breather. They usually cover the access to the valves. Good Luck

By the way, what material did you use for the replacement diaphragm? Was the old diaphragm torn?

I did not replace the diaphragm. it wasnt torn so i tought the problem was elsewhere. I just smeared atv sealant on the mating surfaces of the pump in the hope to seal it.

#9 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Have you tried looking on the kohler site for the service manual or parts diagrams. On a KT17 the valve covers are on the top of the engine and the breather tube comes from one of them and terminates inside the shroud. I'm not sure on the 482/532 but a parts diagram should give yo the info. you need.

I did look in my parts list but couldnt identify the breather in the exploded views of the engine. What I figure to be the valve covers are also on top but I dont see a tube comming outta there. I did go on the kohler site and couldnt find my engine there?. I was out touring the area today to find an old snowmobile before the cold hits and didnt have time to look any further into this. Still it was a good hunting day as I came home with 2 antique snowmobiles, 1 old honda ct70 trail bike, 2 functionning dirt bug trail bikes and a snowblower! all of that for 60$ cash and 40$ of gas! Gotta love hunting days like that :) Ill get a good profit off of that once I get them all cleaned-up and in running order.

Edited by hatedge, October 24, 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#10 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 08:34 PM

You can change it to a vacuum pump but you need to remove the fuel pump and there is a cover that goes in it's place that has a nipple on it to hook up to the fuel pump.
  • hatedge said thank you

#11 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 10:56 PM

You can change it to a vacuum pump but you need to remove the fuel pump and there is a cover that goes in it's place that has a nipple on it to hook up to the fuel pump.

Now thats good news! So all I need now is to cu meself a piece of good gage sheet metal and make a gasket to seal that hole the mechanical pump was in then instal a nipple onther for my vacuum pump?

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 09:52 AM

If the original pump is a vacuum pump and there is no tear of the diaphram, check the breather. If its valve is stuck open that may be the cause of the original pump not working. If its a mechanical pump work the lever to see how it operates. Somethimes its just an internal spring has collapsed. Good Luck
  • hatedge said thank you

#13 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 07:00 PM

If the original pump is a vacuum pump and there is no tear of the diaphram, check the breather. If its valve is stuck open that may be the cause of the original pump not working. If its a mechanical pump work the lever to see how it operates. Somethimes its just an internal spring has collapsed. Good Luck

It's mechanical an ive tried to work it by hand, also opened it to see if the diaphragm was torn. everything looks ok. I reassembled it and sealed the mating surfaces. Still no pressure. I guess the rivet in the center is the problem. I looked around for a rebuild kit but found them to be discontinued (not available anymore). Since Bob tells me that there a cap made to replace the entire unit with a vacuum pump I guess thats the way ill go.

Edited by hatedge, October 25, 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#14 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 09:45 AM

There is also a rebuild kit for the pump. Is the one you have the aluminum one?
  • hatedge said thank you

#15 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 08:58 PM

My pump is made of plastic. The rebuild kits are discontinued

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler, bolens, 1886