Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Front End Loader - The Project Is Started.

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#106 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 06:02 PM

You may want to put more weld on the side plates of the bucket, as there's a lot of stress put on them.

Thank you for your answer.

So you think, that I should weld the side plates of the bucket all the way on the inside like I have done on the outside?

As it is now the inside is partly welded.

Edited by Per, June 15, 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#107 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thank you for your answer.

So you think, that I should weld the side plates of the bucket all the way on the inside like I have done on the outside?

As it is now the inside is partly welded.

Forgive me for not reading closely.  No, if welded solid on the outside, the inside is perfect like it is. 

• Per said thank you

#108 chaentjens OFFLINE  

chaentjens
  • Member No: 10983
  • 100 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Beautiful work!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Per said thank you

#109 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hi,

IMG_0631.JPG

I have unmounted everything and now I am painting all the parts.

• MH81, Alc and twostep have said thanks

#110 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi,

attachicon.gifIMG_0631.JPG

I have unmounted everything and now I am painting all the parts.

Awesome work.  Looking forward to the pics of all installed & ready to go to work!  :thumbs:

• Per said thank you

#111 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Awesome work.  Looking forward to the pics of all installed & ready to go to work!  :thumbs:

The day will come some day.

I still need to do all the hydraulic pipes and hoses. I am also thinking a little about where to mount the hydraulic pump. Either on the side of the tractor or in the front below the hood.

#112 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 03:21 PM

Per

I used to sell cutting edges for construction machinery.  You may want to put some holes in the cutting edge, and then buy, or make a bolt-on cutting edge. In America, we have a spacing called "Highway Punch" which has the first hole 3" (76mm) in from the edge, and then every 6" (152mm) thereafter.  If you buy a ready-made cutting edge, it will be harder steel, and also should have square, countersunk holes so you can put plow bolts in it to attach to the bucket. Use the spacing from the steel edge you bought.  The plow bolts will probably be 10mm or so. 

You bolt the blade on the bottom of the edge of the bucket, with the bolt head down (it's recessed into the blade, and the bolt sticking up into the bucket area.

Many cutting edges have the holes down the centerline of the blade, so when one side wears out, you can turn the blade 180 degrees and reinstall it with a good cutting edge.

FWIW.

Smitty

• MH81 and Per have said thanks

#113 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Per

I used to sell cutting edges for construction machinery.  You may want to put some holes in the cutting edge, and then buy, or make a bolt-on cutting edge. In America, we have a spacing called "Highway Punch" which has the first hole 3" (76mm) in from the edge, and then every 6" (152mm) thereafter.  If you buy a ready-made cutting edge, it will be harder steel, and also should have square, countersunk holes so you can put plow bolts in it to attach to the bucket. Use the spacing from the steel edge you bought.  The plow bolts will probably be 10mm or so. 

You bolt the blade on the bottom of the edge of the bucket, with the bolt head down (it's recessed into the blade, and the bolt sticking up into the bucket area.

Many cutting edges have the holes down the centerline of the blade, so when one side wears out, you can turn the blade 180 degrees and reinstall it with a good cutting edge.

FWIW.

Smitty

Thx. for the advise.

I would like to have a cutting edge of hardened steel, but I don't know were to buy it here in Denmark.

When I find it I can always Mount it later.

• MH81 said thank you

#114 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:38 PM

Thx. for the advise.

I would like to have a cutting edge of hardened steel, but I don't know were to buy it here in Denmark.

Thx. for the advise.

There should be a dealer for Backhoe/loaders--like the Case 580, or JD400.  They use hardened cutting edges.  It may be a little long, but you could cut off the ends to fit.  . If not, find some 4140 steel, or a high-carbon steel that will still let you drill it.  Or, even just weld it on the bucket... best to pre=heat it.

Smitty

• twostep and Per have said thanks

#115 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted June 28, 2013 - 06:23 AM

I've somehow missed this thread until now Per..  That project is awesome and I'll wager you have ~30# of weld on the thing!!  

Great work and excellent fabrication skills as many folks have stated..   :thumbs:

• Per said thank you

#116 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 03:09 PM

Now it’s time to mount the hydraulic pump.

I would like to mount the hydraulic pump at the side of the tractor, but I could not find any space for it, so I had to mount it in the front below the hood.

IMG_0636.JPG

This picture shows the v-belt pulley with electric clutch in the front I will use to drive the hydraulic pump.

IMG_0643.JPG

This is the original PTO which has inspired me to the design of the base I will build for the hydraulic pump.

IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0640.JPG

These two pictures show the two big holes and the two holes in the triangles, I will use to for mounting the base for the hydraulic pump.

IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0646.JPG

The hydraulic pump is not intended for sideways forces, so I have bought an attachment bearing, where the hydraulic pump will be mounted onto. To drive the hydraulic pump I have bought a v-belt pulley which will be mounted to the shaft of the attachment bearing with a taper Lock.

IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0652.JPG

These pictures show the iron parts I have cut out for the hydraulic pump base. The two upper bushings go into the big holes in the frame of the tractor and the other two will be welded to the side of the hydraulic pump base.

IMG_0654.JPG

I have welded two nuts on the inside because there is very little space inside the frame to work with a wrench.

IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0657.JPG

All welded together.

IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0660.JPG

Here is everything mounted on the base.

Now it’s time to see if it will fit inside the frame of the tractor.

IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0665.JPG

It fits all right and only need to be painted. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  

The next will be to mount everything back on the tractor and the do the hydraulic plumbing, but I am still waiting for hydraulic pipes, hoses and some fittings I have ordered.

Edited by Per, July 02, 2013 - 03:16 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#117 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 06:04 PM

I forget, but do you use a laser or water jet to cut your metal so perfect?  Would absolutely love having access to something like that!  

Great work you're doing!

• Per said thank you

#118 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I forget, but do you use a laser or water jet to cut your metal so perfect?  Would absolutely love having access to something like that!  

Great work you're doing!

No. I only use a metal band saw, a grinding machine with cutting dish and hand file.

Cutting iron.JPG hand file.jpg

Edited by Per, July 02, 2013 - 10:20 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#119 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 03:13 AM

Once again everything looks awesome Per! :thumbs: Do you have a picture of the Grinding machine with cutting disk? What ever it is you have done a great job cutting out all those pieces for this project! :worshippy1: Also you must have a lot of files :D

• Per said thank you

#120 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 08:21 AM

The hydraulic pump is not intended for sideways forces, so I have bought an attachment bearing, where the hydraulic pump will be mounted onto. To drive the hydraulic pump I have bought a v-belt pulley which will be mounted to the shaft of the attachment bearing with a taper Lock.

Like the rest of the build... VERY professional. Nice to see quality work without using high dollar equipment.

One question; how do you know tha thte pump isn't intended for side loading? Or is it standard for them NOT to be designed for sideloading. I ask because now I'm in the design phase and the pump I bought does not specify what type of drive should be used. Thanks!

• Per said thank you