Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Front End Loader - The Project Is Started.

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#76 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:30 PM

In the bottom of both towers there is a hole where a cross over pipe will be connected. I have to use both towers as oil tank, because there will not be enough oil in one tower when all 4 cylinders are fully expanded.

I first want to say what a great job you are doing and your Fab/Welding skills are some of the best I've seen. I been in the Fab/Machine shop business for 30+ years.

I assume you are using 2 way cylinders. If so, then you don't need a lot of reservoir for you oil. The cylinders are always full, it just moves from one side of the piston to the other. Once you bleed all the air out of them, the added oil will help with over heating the oil when you are really working the loader.

• Per said thank you

#77 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Nice work... you weld like a pro!  what kind of welder are you using?  I have a hobby mig but cannot get a bead like that to save my life!  And NICE WORK on the inside welds :worship:

Thank you.

Welding Machine 01.JPG Welding Machine 02.JPG

Welding Machine 03.JPG

The protection gas I use is ATAL. This is a mix of 82% Argon and 18% CO2.

I first want to say what a great job you are doing and your Fab/Welding skills are some of the best I've seen. I been in the Fab/Machine shop business for 30+ years.

I assume you are using 2 way cylinders. If so, then you don't need a lot of reservoir for you oil. The cylinders are always full, it just moves from one side of the piston to the other. Once you bleed all the air out of them, the added oil will help with over heating the oil when you are really working the loader.

Yes, the cylinders are 2 way cylinders. But I do need both towers as oil reservoir.

I will try to explain.

Tower.jpg

The oil pump can only suck the oil down to just a little above centre of the oil strainer before it will suck air in.

From the centre of the strainer to the top level of the oil, which is just below the filling pipe, there is 320 mm. The inside of the tower is 70 mm in square.

Oil volume of one tower will be: 0,7x0,7x3,2 = 1,57 litres (0,415 gallon).

I have four cylinders with an ID of 50 mm and a stroke of 400 mm. The piston rod is 30 mm OD.

Now we assume that the system is full of oil and all air is bleed out. All the cylinders are in.

Ok, then we expands all four cylinders with the full stroke:

Oil to the cylinders will be: 3,14x0,25x0,25x4x4 = 3,14 litres (0,83 gallon)

The oil I get back from the other side of the piston in the cylinders is 3,14 litre minus the volume of the piston rod.

That will be 3,14 – (3,14x0,15x0,15x4x4) = 2,01 litre (0,531 gallon)

I have to refill 3,14 – 2,01 = 1,13 litre (0,299 gallon)

So when the cylinders are fully expanded there will be 1,57 – 1,13 = 0,44 litre (0,116 gallon) left in the tower.

0,44 litres in the tower is 90 mm (3½”) above the suction centre and that is when the tractor is totally horizontal and not tilting.

The oil is standing all the way up to the filling pipe and when I drive the tractor with the oil level so high there is a big chance that oil will come out of the air bleeding hole and therefore I use both towers as oil reservoir.

When I use both towers I can lower the top level of the oil.

I hope my explanation is OK.

Edited by Per, January 12, 2013 - 07:05 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#78 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Per once again your work is amazing! I can't even think of anything else to say but WOW! :worshippy1:

• Per said thank you

#79 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Per, like I have said before, your fab work is outstanding, The Joints you were asking about what we call it here in the US are commonly referred to as Heim Joints, but that too is slang, kinda like calling a nose wipe - tissue a Kleenex , as that is just a brand name.

Just a little constuctive criticism, and please dont take this the wrong way, but your welds in / on the boom look a touch cool, though seeing as you welded inner, and outer sides of the joints should not be much of an issue.  Keep on the great work , and this sure is coming together well with a man of your talent. 

• Per said thank you

#80 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Just a little constuctive criticism, and please dont take this the wrong way, but your welds in / on the boom look a touch cool, though seeing as you welded inner, and outer sides of the joints should not be much of an issue.  Keep on the great work , and this sure is coming together well with a man of your talent. 

Ok! How do you see that? Do you mean that the welding is not burned enough down into the material (iron tube and plate)? Do you think that it will breake?

#81 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Per, like I have said before, your fab work is outstanding, The Joists you were asking about what we call it here in the US are commonly referred to as Heim Loints, but that too is slang, kinda like calling a nose wipe - tissue a Kleenex , as that is just a brand name.

So these are Heim Joints? :thumbs:

Heim Joint.jpg

• chris m and twostep have said thanks

#82 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:12 PM

So these are Heim Joints? :thumbs:

attachicon.gifHeim Joint.jpg

I'll take one of those please. I love Heim joints! :love:

• Per said thank you

#83 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:13 PM

nah, prolly not. You have plenty of weld in there, it just looks a bit cool.  Normally the weld is a touch concave, and has a nice tie - in to the parent metal on the upper part of the weld. 

Yours are a touch convex, and the tie- in does not look like it is hot enough.

added:  Ooooh, that is a purdy nice piece , and yes, a heim joint.

• Per said thank you

#84 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 05:06 AM

nah, prolly not. You have plenty of weld in there, it just looks a bit cool.  Normally the weld is a touch concave, and has a nice tie - in to the parent metal on the upper part of the weld. 

Yours are a touch convex, and the tie- in does not look like it is hot enough.

Can it not be because my welder is adjusted so that it is giving too much welding tread out? That will give a convex welding I assume.

#85 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Nice tractor, nice fab work, and nice heim model. I'm not welding expert but I would need a little better picture quality and closer up to accurately judge. I think building a loader is on most of our bucket lists. I'm collecting parts for mine right now.

• Per said thank you

#86 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 02:38 AM

Nice tractor, nice fab work, and nice heim model. I'm not welding expert but I would need a little better picture quality and closer up to accurately judge. I think building a loader is on most of our bucket lists. I'm collecting parts for mine right now.

If I can be of any help with your building, do not hesitate to let me know...

• twostep said thank you

#87 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• Member No: 7192
  • 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 10:25 AM

:anyone:  we need an update.

• bgkid2966, backwoods and TAHOE have said thanks

#88 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 10:41 AM

:anyone:  we need an update.

Most definitely UPDATE!
You sir have some fine fabrications skills, that looks excellent. I can only dream of a weld that looks half that good. I have a front bucket dream also, but got to get tractor running first.

So, are you going to post a pic of the heim joint? All I see is a picture of some girl haha
  • Deere Green said thank you

#89 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• Member No: 7192
  • 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Making me feel like a druggieeee here...  i need more where are we at on this thing? :firejumper:

#90 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 01:24 AM

Hi to all.

My project is currently on stand-by.

I am building a new second bathroom in our house and therefore I have had no time for my front end loader project.....oh, and I also have to go to work.

But the project is not dead and I will update you all when I start building again.

IMG_0541.JPG IMG_0542.JPG

• KennyP and Deere Green have said thanks