Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Front End Loader - The Project Is Started.

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#46 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Your work is awesome! Very professional. :worship: Are you working off a set of plans for the FEL? The spindle upgrade will definitely be up to the task. I look forward to future updates on this project!

Geno

Hi Geno,
thx. for the nice words. I have the plans from this site http://www.p.f.engin...rite_links.html but I do some modifications in order to get the FEL look better and to fit my Gilson.

#47 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Here is the suction filter which goes inside the tower.

Is there a reason you went with this type of filter instead of a screw on canister type? With this one you will have to drain the system to change the filter, correct?

#48 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Per,your fab work looks greats.

#49 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 13, 2012 - 06:53 PM

Nice fab work on the spindles, they look factory. My only concern is KPI. I think you will blow out the steering gears with a full bucket by adding the extra few inches of scrub.

#50 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Looking great Per, nice spindle upgrade for sure.
  • Per said thank you

#51 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:16 AM

Is there a reason you went with this type of filter instead of a screw on canister type? With this one you will have to drain the system to change the filter, correct?

Yes there is.
Maybe the word "filter" is not the correct word. It is a coarse filter so the word "strainer" maybe would have been better.
If I use a suction filter of the screw on canister type it would be a big canister filter if it has to suit the flowrate of my pump. If I use a smaller canister filter with a lower flowrate there is a big risk that the oil pump will cavitate. I will however mount a screw on canister filter in the return oil pipe. This is on the pressure side of the pump and this filter is much smaller (about same size as a filter on a car).

Edited by Per, December 14, 2012 - 12:25 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#52 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:23 AM

Nice fab work on the spindles, they look factory. My only concern is KPI. I think you will blow out the steering gears with a full bucket by adding the extra few inches of scrub.

Sorry if my english fails in this case.
I do not understand what you mean. What is KPI? What do you mean with "few inches of scrub"?

#53 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 14, 2012 - 01:04 AM

KPI is the angle of the of the L on the spindle. I am not very good at explaining the tech stuff, but the more the top bushing angles out towards the bottom bushing to meet the center line of the tire, the easier it is to steer. There is a web site for gokart steering geometry that explains it real good. I think it is "gokart guru " .

Edited by rat88, December 14, 2012 - 01:08 AM.

• Per said thank you

#54 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 06:40 AM

Found this , it might help .
( I'm like you rat88 , I wish I could explaine things better , Al )
http://www.bing.com/...9526B0C&first=1
  • KennyP and Per have said thanks

#55 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 09:22 AM

I think "scrub radius" is slang. basically, the further the center of the tire's contact patch is from the kingpin's axis (projected to the ground of course). Think of it this way, if the tire is sticking way out scrubbs across the ground when you turn the steering wheel. If it becomes a problem you'll just have an excuse to upgrade to power steering. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• scrub.jpg

Edited by twostep, December 14, 2012 - 03:54 PM.

• Per said thank you

#56 Per ONLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 05:12 PM

First of all I will say to you all that I appreciate all your comments very much. It is very nice to have them and it also show me that there is an interest for my project. Thank you very much. :thank_you:

I have now read some articles about KPI (king pin inclination) and I now understand your concern. :reading_the_manual:
I must admit, that when I did the front spindle upgrade, I didn’t know much about steering geometry, but know I got a little wiser after reading the articles.

When I did the upgrade I simply copied the angles from the old spindles to the new spindles.
Front spindle.jpg
Here you see the original spindle and the upgraded spindle. The angle x = angle y

Front Wheel.JPG
Here is a picture of the front wheel taken from the front of the tractor. If the scrub radius should have been smaller the angle y has to be bigger or the spindle has to be shorter.

Front Wheel Distance.JPG
As you can see here there is only 13 mm (½ inch) from the tire to the spindle bracket, so the spindle is as short as it can be. I could have mounted the spindles higher on the bracket so that it could go inside the rim, but then the nose of the tractor would come closer to the ground.

It is a pity that we didn’t talk about all this before I made the upgrade. But now were it is done, I will give it a try and see how the steering works in practice. It’s probably also about having a little feeling with the force you put to the steering wheel and when things will break. If I can’t turn with a full load I have to reduce the load and drive twice.

The next step would be to upgrade to power steering as suggested by twostep. This would then be a new project and new post.

Edited by Per, December 14, 2012 - 05:14 PM.

• MH81 and twostep have said thanks

#57 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 05:27 PM

The next step would be to upgrade to power steering as suggested by twostep. This would then be a new project and new post.

I think you are probably correct in having a " feel" for the amount of force being exerted on the steering in general before something is going to break. There have been times on our Case 648 loader tractor that the lifting power is so great, that the steering does not like it ( such as carrying a heaping load of wet sand) , despite it's stout factory power steering. Like you said, just reduce the load in the bucket .....and make more trips.

I like your practical approach, and in the quote above, I'd be all in for seeing what you might come up with for a power steering upgrade should the need arise for you.

Edited by marlboro180, December 14, 2012 - 05:28 PM.

• Per said thank you

#58 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• Member No: 7192
  • 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:31 AM

All I can say is WOW :worship: NICE WORK!

#59 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hi to all,
here is my next update which I think will be the last one before Christmas.

Tower 011.JPG

Here is the part which will be mounted in the front of the tractor and will hold the two braces.

Tower 012.JPG

Picture of the same part in a different view. I don’t know the right name for this part. Do any of you have a suggestion?

Tower 013.JPG

Here are the towers mounted on the tractor in order to locate where to weld the brace mounts on the towers. I have put a shaft through the top bushing of each tower so that the shaft ends meets each other over the centre of the tractor. In this way the top of the towers and the line going through the top bushings is aligned.

Tower 014.JPG Tower 015.JPG

Towers aligned.

Tower 016.JPG

The manoeuvring valve has to be mounted on the right tower. This picture shows the bottom of the manoeuvring valve. As you can see, there are only three mounting holes.

Tower 017.JPG

I have made this mounting plate and triangle for the manoeuvring valve. I see no reason to make a square mounting plate because there are only these three holes.

Tower 018.JPG

This is how it looks on the back of the manoeuvring valve.

Tower 019.JPG Tower 020.JPG

Ok, here are the towers all welded and the two braches in the front of the picture.

Tower 021.JPG Tower 022.JPG Tower 023.JPG

Tower with manoeuvring valve.

Tower 024.JPG

I also have the opportunity to mount the handles horizontal on the manoeuring valve.

This is all for now. There are still missing the mountings for the hydraulic cylinders, but this has to wait until I have made the booms, which will be the next thing to do.

As already mentioned this is the last update before Christmas and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and some nice holidays.

God jul! (as we say in Denmark)
  • olcowhand, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#60 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 08:51 PM

First I have to say What an exceptional build!!!!! I missed this thread while I was gone for a bit.

Not only is this great fabrication work,but you also do an excellent job with the presentation, Really the way you put the pictures and describe your progress along the way is better than any manual I have seen on any subject! :thumbs: :worship:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you also! (God Jul)
  • Per said thank you