7 replies to this topic

#1 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Long story short, I picked up a 15# soda blaster, assembled it, but didn't have the pickup tube. Of course it doesn't work because there is no way for the soda to come up and out of the tank. HF Service dept says parts are not available, so I checked here to see if anyone has one and can tell me the diameter and length of theirs. It is part #11 in the manual.

If I can't fab a siphon tube it is going to have to go back.

Thanks, Terry

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 08:04 PM

TerryD here is a link to another thread on how to build your own Soda Blaster. It is very cheap and easy to build and I use mine for cleaning Carburetor's all the time.

When did you retire from USN?
  • TerryD and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#3 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Outstanding!!!

I'm trying to get some snowblower augers blasted, primed and painted before the snow flies. I wasted 2 hrs this afternoon putting this thing together and filling the canister. I've returned it and will build the one in your link tomorrow after work.

I need to be done blasting and washing the snowblower tomorrow night so I can prime the following night.

Thank you for the link!

Oh, and I retired in '06 after 26 great years! When did you retire?

Terry

Edited by TerryD, October 22, 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 09:32 PM

I retired in '88 after 20 year's. I enjoyed 2 great career's. Now I'm retired from both and enjoy a nice side line working on small engines.

#5 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 10:24 PM

Congratulations. I'm on my second career now. Looking forward to retiring from it and spending the day in the garage with a cup of coffee and something rusty, greasy, and not working....at the time.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Congratulations. I'm on my second career now. Looking forward to retiring from it and spending the day in the garage with a cup of coffee and something rusty, greasy, and not working....at the time.

That's basically how my day's are spent. Before you know it you will be able to do the same thing. It seems like just yesterday I retired from the Navy.

Since you are blasting such a large piece, you may want to make your reservoir where you can attach your feed hose to the bottom so you have a consent feed. I use a coffee can and just stick the hose in it but you have to move the pick up tube around alot to get the consent feed. Having to move the pick up tube around doing a small item like a carburetor is a pain so I can imagine what a large item would be like. I plan to build a blast cabinet soon that will have a floor that slopes to the middle where a funnel will be connected to the pick up tube to provide a constant feed. Good Luck with you blasting, hope you get it all done in time.
  • TerryD said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 04:34 PM

Our day got turned around and we went to the hospital to check on a friend of our's who had surgery today. Since we were half way to Harbor freight and I needed some storage bin's the wife said let's make a day of it. Anyway while I was there I wanted to check on a portable media blaster that I saw in one of HF's email. It is normally $34 and I had a coupon for $24 so I decided to get it and see how well it work's.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 08:05 AM

I tried the homemade soda blaster with mixed results. One minute it worked great, moments later it wasn't.

I eventually gave up and called another HF store in our area and had them open one of their 15# soda blasters to check for parts. Found one with everything there and picked it up after work to finish the job. I used HF's Armex Maintenance XL sand (thought it was suppose to be baking soda) for the blasting. Worked perfectly and quickly to get rid of the surface rust.

I would recommend this now that I have a complete one. I can see me using this a lot to derust tools and small projects.
  • HDWildBill said thank you