• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 06:12 PM

When I got the snowplow with the '64, the lever to angle the blade was wired into position. After I got it home I cut the wire off to see if it was stuck, it was.

Today, I brought the plow around to the garage where I could take it apart and get everything moving again. It all came apart surprisingly easy! None of the bolts were seized, and other then the angle all moving parts... move.

When I got the main frame off of the blade I put it on the bench and immediately saw the problem... the pin to keep the blade in position was bent! I had to use the torch and heat up the piece that connects the arm to the pin before it came off. After that, the pin slid right out with a few gentle taps.
Posted Image

I will have to make another pin, not a big deal... I hope!

After I make a pin, I will put it all back together and make sure that everything moves as it should.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Ryan, you amaze me with your ways of getting to the root of the problem. Your dad taught you well!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 917 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 07:08 PM

I agree with Kenny. You are very good at repairing your GTs. Keep up the good work.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Thanks!

I made up a new pin today. The old pin had this spring over it, but there was nothing on the pin for it to grab, so I put a roll-pin and washer onto the pin I made.
Posted Image

Pin in the lock position.
Posted Image

Pin in the unlock position.
Posted Image

Everything seemed to work good up until this point, so I put the frame onto the plow. Here it is all the way angled one direction.
Posted Image

And the other way.
Posted Image

Everything worked good, and locked into position like it should. I then put the other few things back on.
Posted Image

For some reason, when the plow is in the straight position, it is not perfectly straight. I don't know why this is, nothing is bent (that I can see). I am not worried about it, that little bit of angle should not affect it to much.
  • JRJ said thank you

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Posted Image

For some reason, when the plow is in the straight position, it is not perfectly straight. I don't know why this is, nothing is bent (that I can see). I am not worried about it, that little bit of angle should not affect it to much.

Even a little roundness in the hole/pin will cause it, but considering the age I too wouldn't worry about it.

P.S. nice fab on the pin set-up :thumbs:

Edited by John@Reliable, October 23, 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 06:26 PM

Excellent work as always Ryan. When the blade is locked in the straight position, is there any play? If so, it just proves what John said. It doesn't take much of a "waller" to be noticable.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Pin looks great, Ryan. I'm with the others, a little wear here, a bit more there, and it adds up.

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Thanks everybody! Yes, there is play in it, but even with it pushed all the way over, it is still not straight. Does that make sense?

#9 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 07:28 PM

It sounds like maybe the bracket with the hole for the pin may be bent along with a little slop in the pin fit to the hole. This is my best guess without seeing it apart. Just my humble opinion.

Geno

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 09:38 PM

Maybe too hard a bump or push on one side of blade bent that pin AND some of metal that it goes into?? Snow won't know the difference! I do more plowing with it turned than striaght, cept first pass or a Major pile push.

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:05 PM

I was in the garage yesterday for the first time in a while, and I saw this on the floor!

422D2ABD-BCE0-4C73-BBD2-456FC8A41629-477

I thought that this was very strange! I have no idea how the pin could have just fallen out like that! That is the pin which holds the washer in place to push the return spring for the angle lock rod. When I put it back in, would it help if I put some lock tight on it? I am not sure if it would work in this case.

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:29 PM

I was in the garage yesterday for the first time in a while, and I saw this on the floor!

422D2ABD-BCE0-4C73-BBD2-456FC8A41629-477

I thought that this was very strange! I have no idea how the pin could have just fallen out like that! That is the pin which holds the washer in place to push the return spring for the angle lock rod. When I put it back in, would it help if I put some lock tight on it? I am not sure if it would work in this case.

Are you using a roll pin?  Must not be because they don't fall out.  I would get one of those and be done with it.

I just looked at your earlier pictures and you do indeed have a roll pin in there.  That's what I've always called them anyway.  That pin should be good and tight going in so you may have a pin that is too small.

Edited by David Brown, February 04, 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Yes, it is. 3/16 roll pin(I think) and I used the same size drill bit as the pin. I might just use a cotter pin.

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Yes, it is. 3/16 roll pin(I think) and I used the same size drill bit as the pin. I might just use a cotter pin.

There's the problem.  The hole should be slightly smaller than the relaxed diameter of the pin.  These pins are made to squeeze into the hole which is what holds it in place.  They are no fun to put in or get out but they sure do work well.  A cotter pin would work too but it will stress eventually.  Roll pins really aren't affected but the stress that the spring puts on them.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:42 PM

I guess that is why! I thought that the pin would be a little over 3/16 and made to fit a 3/16 hole. How much smaller should the hole be? I would think a 1/4 pin is to big to fit the 3/16 hole?