• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 04:02 PM

I read my last post after I submitted it, and I saw that the benefits of just cutting the lever where greater then the trouble of making another. So, I went out and did just that, I cut it!
Posted Image

I then tried to put on the cylinder... did anybody notice I said "tried" to put it on? Of course, it hit on the body cover!
Posted Image

All I had to do, was cut out the notch so it went another inch higher.
Posted Image

It fits!
Posted Image

Now that I have the cylinder in it's mounting place, I could get proper measurements of how far I needed to drop the elbows. The front elbow needs to go down 3 inches, and the back has to go down only 2 inches.

I will make a run out tonight and get the rest of the stuff I need for this project.

#32 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:45 PM

I forgot that HF and TSC close early on Sunday! I will try to go tomorrow.

#33 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:23 PM

I went to TS, HF and HD! I had a list of stuff for each place, I checked off everything at TS. At HF I found half of my stuff but made up that many more items in stuff that was not on my list! One of the things I did not get was the link-belt, my local store stopped carrying those in August. At HD I got everything... except for what I forgot! Even though I had a list I forgot to check it since we where basically being pushed out the door for closing time. But, I the fittings where the first things that I got!

I decided to put the fittings together, just to see how it looked. They look pretty long, and they are... but they clear the frame with room to spare without being so low that I have to worry about breaking a fitting. As long as I remember that this tractor cant run over all the brush and saplings that the '75 goes over I should be ok! :thumbs:
Posted Image

#34 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Today I put the cylinder on and hooked up the new hydraulic lines I bought last night. The extensions work like a charm!
Posted Image

The lines draped down over the brake pedal pivot, and the lift arm pivot. With it sitting on top of them I was afraid of it wearing through the line over time. So, I bent this little holder.
Posted Image

The bolt then went into a hole conveniently placed in the bottom of the tranny. The one line has nothing above it, so it is not as secure as the other but it still holds it firmly in place.
Posted Image

Even with the holder, one of the lines still rubbed on the lift arm pivot. There was nothing convenient to attach the line to without making it look messy, and if there was there was not much slack in the line to do so. I decided to just make a little guard.
Posted Image

Here it is in place on the line.
Posted Image

I am now done with fabrication! I just need to prep and paint; I am only going to paint the parts that have raw steel showing.

I also need a link belt.

#35 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Looks to be coming along great ! That bracket is really a nice thought :thumbs: , keep up the posts , Al

#36 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Nice job Ryan. Was there a reason you couldn't turn the 90 degree fittings to run parallel with the cylinder/tractor frame? Or even better, just do away with the 90 degree fittings all together and just run the hoses fittings thread directly into the cylinder?

#37 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Nice job Ryan. Was there a reason you couldn't turn the 90 degree fittings to run parallel with the cylinder/tractor frame? Or even better, just do away with the 90 degree fittings all together and just run the hoses fittings thread directly into the cylinder?

I am sure I could have done either of those, but I wanted to get the lines up someplace more protected. If I did put the hoses right into the cylinder then I don't know how how far down they would swoop before they could turn, I think the would hang pretty low.

#38 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I now have the parts painted, and drying. They did not come out the best, I had to bring it outside every coat, then back inside where it is warm. It was also VERY windy today, definitely not the best day for spray paint! It should be dry enough that I can put it together tomorrow.

Posted Image
  • KennyP said thank you

#39 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 05:25 PM

They look fine from Tulsa, Ryan! You work your tractors, they aren't trailer queens!

#40 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 09:39 PM

I checked the paint, and it seemed like it was hardened more then I would have thought. I wanted to wait until the morning to reassemble, but I needed to keep my mind from wondering anymore then it already did.

Everything went back together well, no problems. The only damage to the paint was when I chased the threads on the control lever to take the paint off... and I don't know if that qualifies as damage or not.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will put fluid in it tomorrow and try it out. If everything checks out ok, I will swap the tires with the '75 back to normal.

Edited by Ryan313, December 22, 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#41 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:14 PM

When it comes to paint damage if you cant see it, it didnt happen. :watch_over_fence: Looks great, glade it turnd out well for you.

#42 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 07:32 PM

With the tractor running now, I got to try it out! I cycled through it and it worked great! The 1/4 inch lines make the cycle time very fast, much faster then the '75. I then put on the snowplow, and it moved just as fast with the weight on it. Before I put the plow on it, I cycled it about 30 times to get the air out. I must have got it all out, because my brother sat on the plow and it still lifted it. After plowing tomorrow I will check the fluid in it.

#43 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yesterday while plowing the hydraulics worked great! I had good down pressure and it was very responsive. I noticed quickly that it would not have hurt anything if I made the handle a little longer. I will probably make an extension that I can remove. The idea of having a removable handle is that I can put it on while plowing and take it off when I won't have to use the lever as much. Leaning for the lever every now and then wouldn't be bad.

#44 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:40 PM

Hey Ry,

Nice job! One post read and a few more to look at from your PM.

Steve