• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • Member No: 11780
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Just a thought- Are you sure that it is running lean and doesn't have an ignition problem. I've found that sometimes an ignition problem can act like a fuel issue. A weak spark could cause rough running at idle. You could also try to get another used carb through one of our sponsors.

I've ruled ignition out as the engine runs fine if I choke it down at idle. This is a puzzle to be sure, make more complicated by a carb that doesn't have any outside adjustments, oh for the good old days, LOL

#17 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Not sure if this would help or not but I bought some off brand carb cleaner once and it didn't clean worth a darn . Went back over with Gumout and cleaned off varnish the other didn't even touch , might make a differnce in those passages if you try cleaning it again, Al

Ya, I'll pick up a can of Gunout carburetor clean, the type that goes into the fuel tank, I've used the spray type on the outside and it did and amazing job of cleaning the carb and intake manifold. :thumbs: Thanks

#18 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 01:32 PM

What bugs me on how the Onan engine intake manifold is bolted to the carburetor, is the bolts the fasten the carb to the intake manifold is from under the manifold up through to the carb. Would have been so much easier if it was bolted from the top down into the manifold. Oh well, such is life! :wallbanging:

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 03:11 PM

Oh well, such is life!

Such is Onan unfortunately :(

#20 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:09 AM

Seems like a lot of the guys are using Seafoam which is o.k. but I used a product awhile back while working on a Lawn Boy mower which was a very worth mentioning carb. cleaner and that is Berryman B-12. It can be had a just about any auto parts store and even Walmart and at Walmart it is priced at $3.18 a can while Seafoam was $8.--. Then while in Auto Zone the other day I saw that they carry a larger can of the same product where your carb. part can be inserted into the can to let it soak but I didn't notice the price of the larger can.
I have been puttting about 1oz. per gallon of gas since getting my GT235 and it does idle smoother, but the first tank after getting this tractor I ran about 2-3 oz threw it at the beginning per gallon. I hope that anyone that decides to use this has the same end results as I did.

Dick
  • HDWildBill said thank you