Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 10:48 PM

Well this all started almost 30 years ago. My dad got a wal behind from some guy (don't remmember him saying who) with a sickle and part of a cultivator attachment. I remmember him using the sckle mower but not the cultivator. He also mounted a pump on it for spraying him oats and a sulky to haul 2 5gal. pails for the chemical. Sometimes he would take the sprayer boom off and my brother and I would have a gokart of sorts.

Today my brother called and was wondering if I was going to be home, cause he was going to bring me the old walk behind (plus a couple of snow blowers) over to my place. Been wanting to get it over here to my place being the old tin shed it was in has lived through 2 trees falling on it and countless wind storms, so there ain't much left of it. So I just had to unload it instead of loading it to (which is always nice).

Been doing a little reseach on it and what I've found is that its a Midland built for Wards, right? The numbers on the tag are MTD M5 18882. It has a Clinton motor with a serial # 2048335 B, model # B704C0E.

So I guess what I'm looking for is your guys opinion if its a Wards or not and what year it could be. Here's a few pics of it.Boys%20Playing_4.jpg 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Well its a Midland, but it could be a Wards or Midlands own Dandy Boy model. Both are pretty much the same tractor. A couple of things were ussally differnt between the two, one was the engines used and the other was the color. Most , but not all the Wards Midlands had Wisconsin engines. All the Wards tractors i know of were painted in the orange color, both the tractor and the wheels. Most of the true Midlands used that color green, like your has. Either way its still the great tractor to play with.
  • Nato77 said thank you

#3 plumberroy OFFLINE  

plumberroy
  • Member No: 10862
  • 12 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 01:54 PM

I agree with above . they will use the same implaments I had a wards plowtrac that was maze yellow though and since the decals seemed to be on top of the paint I assume it was the factory color
Roy

#4 traktrjorj OFFLINE  

traktrjorj

• Contributor
  • Member No: 66
  • 45 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Just a short comment on the tag. It is "MID" for Midland not MTD. The Green color wheels to me say Midland.

#5 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 11:34 PM

Just a short comment on the tag. It is "MID" for Midland not MTD. The Green color wheels to me say Midland.

That is what I was thinking MID, but I looked a few times at it and it says MTD. Tried to get a pic of it but can't get a good clear one.