• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 01:19 PM

Chris I just saw on the news that Iowa has dropped from the second most likely state in the Nation to have a Deer/car collision to number 3. South Dakota has moved up to #2 and Iowa down to #3.Guess that's what thy call a Dubious Distinction?

As a conspiracy theory type of guy, I wonder if the body shop and towing operators have a hand in this somehow... Air dropping feed or something?:D

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 02:06 PM

As a conspiracy theory type of guy, I wonder if the body shop and towing operators have a hand in this somehow... Air dropping feed or something? :D

Well I don't believe they are salting feed along the roads. I know a few guys who own or work in body shops. And they are all too busy fixing the wrecks to have time for that. One did tell me that Deer Damage was what kept the shop going.he would have to close up if it were not for that.

#18 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 02:12 PM

Guess that's what thy call a Dubious Distinction?

If we hit another one we will surpass $10,000 damages to our vehicles. Get this, the SD. Game department has cut back on the number of licenses available because we had a bad winter 2 years ago and some kind of disease has cut back the deer populations. I'll bet if the GF&P had to pay for the damages these animals are doing things would change in a hurry.

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Used to be the Geese would migrate, but there is a large population they call Resident Geese that stay all winter.

I read once that the market hunters down along the Illinois River kept domestic Canada Geese for live decoys. These were larger than normal geese, and they didn't have a migratory instinct. When market hunting was outlawed, they turned the geese loose. I haven't verified this.

On the other hand, I haven't seen migrating flocks over head in a while.