#1 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Got a new Kodak wireless printer. Have the desktop and both laptops set up now to print, but haven't figured out the Ipad all the way. I can print photos from the Ipad through a Cloud to the printer, but not documents. It wants me to set up a Google account, and then it starting started talking about a Chromestick? I have more digging to do, I think. Not sure about a Chromestick. It read that the Chrome thing was an external plug-in to the Ipad, that I could in turn connect to the printer.

Anyone that has run through this before, feel free to educate me. I'm confused as to why I cannot print documents straight from the Ipad to the printer, but I can do photos.

:wallbanging:

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:04 PM

I haven't messed with printing from a phone or ipad yet so I can't be of too much help. I would imagine though that maybe using google drive or google docs would allow printing in some way. I know quite a few of the guys on here have ipads and hopefully they can help. I will mess around my phone and see if I can get it printing to our wireless printer. Only thing is it is a android but maybe the same apps are available?

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:09 PM

The cloud print app is the same for Android and Iphone according to the printer directions.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:22 PM

I just got it setup and just printed a test page. Seems to work.

From the setup I went through it seemed to be a couple of extra steps because it wasn't seeing our wifi printer.

Our printer isn't cloud ready but I use google chrome and I also have a gmail account which I used to setup the printer. I had to add the printer through what they term "Classic Printer"

Here is the page I used to follow to get the printer added to my account. https://support.goog...er/1686197?rd=1

Then I installed the cloud print app on my phone and chose my cannon printer as the default and printed a test page.
  • Cat385B said thank you

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:28 PM

After reading your post again Cat I see you got it working as far as printing photos. Can you give me an example of a document that you are trying to print so I can see what might need to be done?

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Cat, is there a kinsoft office available for the Ipad? I just tried printing an excel sheet with it and that worked as well since it supports cloud printing. I think kingsoft can also save as a pdf. I am going to put a pdf file on the phone and try printing it to see if it works as well.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:49 PM

George, I have it now. I had to set up the Google account, and download an app. I can now print screen shots, and manual pages I view on the IPad. I can even do it from the shed, as long as the printer is on.

Thanks for the help.

Kinsoft isn't available at first glance from their store site.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:51 PM

George, I have it now. I had to set up the Google account, and download an app. I can now print screen shots, and manual pages I view on the IPad. I can even do it from the shed, as long as the printer is on.

Thanks for the help.

Kinsoft isn't available at first glance from their store site.

Good deal. Glad you got it working. I have been able to get everything to print so far without having to have a printer app installed. But I think some of that has to do with having a google account and the phone being android based and having the gmail account integrated to it.

The only thing I can't get to print yet is a pdf and of course adobe reader for the mobile doesn't support printing. Going to try installing google drive for google docs and see if that works.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I think kingsoft can also save as a pdf. I am going to put a pdf file on the phone and try printing it to see if it works as well.

That was one thing I have open in another window here, the ability to switch docs over to PDF quick and easy. That is one I'm going to read up on.

#10 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 08:33 AM

We just bought a new computer (HP self contained no tower) the other day and a printer/scanner/ copier/ fax machine due to our laptops finally had enough. The printer says i can send pics from my phone to it because it has its own email address. Lil complicated/advanced for me but its pretty neat.