• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ih674 OFFLINE  

ih674

• Member No: 2737
  • 8 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 02:13 PM

I am currently in the process of slowly restoring my 1960's gold bolens ride a matic and have a couple of questions regaring the gearbox.

I restore vintage tractors (135's and such like) and to me it is standard practise to remove any top covers etc and thouroughly clean out the gearbox before filling with new oil.

Now my question is, are there anyone on here thats familliar with what you would dismanle to inspect and clean out the back end or would a simple flush be satisfactory?

Also if it safe to take apart the cover which has the grease nipple on it to clean out?

My final question is what oil to fill the gearbox with? The manual says SAE 30, but the oil in it compares more to EP90 but with water in it! I guess Super universal tractor oil of 15w/30 would compare to sae30 for the purpose in mind?

I can take pics of necessary.

Thanks in advance,
James

#2 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 04:14 PM

I had a couple of Massey Harris # 30,s and after draining the old oil, refilled the transmission / rear ends with desel fuel and left the engine running for a short time then drained the now fifthy oil out.Not too long or work it as the diesel fuel as little lubrication valve but the insides looked like every part had been put in the parts cleaner.I would probably stick with the # 30 probably the non degerent kind. Cheers Mike

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 08:58 AM

I am currently in the process of slowly restoring my 1960's gold bolens ride a matic and have a couple of questions regaring the gearbox.

I restore vintage tractors (135's and such like) and to me it is standard practise to remove any top covers etc and thouroughly clean out the gearbox before filling with new oil.

Now my question is, are there anyone on here thats familliar with what you would dismanle to inspect and clean out the back end or would a simple flush be satisfactory?

Also if it safe to take apart the cover which has the grease nipple on it to clean out?

My final question is what oil to fill the gearbox with? The manual says SAE 30, but the oil in it compares more to EP90 but with water in it! I guess Super universal tractor oil of 15w/30 would compare to sae30 for the purpose in mind?

There are actually two gearboxes on those tractors, so I am not sure which one you are referring to. ....There are specific recommendations in the manual as to which lubricant goes where.

The differential gear case can be opened for cleaning, but care must be taken to disassemble and reassemble correctly. ....The parts manual will give you an idea of what needs to be done. .....Regular chassis grease will cake-up at the bottom of the case and not distribute as well as Snapper #00 grease or John Deere Cornhead Grease (both are thick, semi-liquid greases.)

The transmission gear case should not be opened unless repairs are needed. .....There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. ....Flushing can be accomplished with kerosene or diesel fuel, but it may be just as easily done by frequent draining & refilling with SAE 30 oil. ......I personally would not use the 15w30 oil.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you