8 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 415 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:47 AM

... Im on a bit of a rant and rage ok in june i posted a wanted add for a Diesel engine and a guy responded yep i have a Kubota Z482 it would be 250 bucks so i try to get out there that weekend then i get nothing back He did not even give a phone number so i email him back and get
nothing so i waited around then 3 weeks ago i Email him after i find out that my kohler ch20 needs more work then expected and i said i may increase the offer depending on condition so he emails me back yep just let me know when you can be out i said i am going out that way Monday night at 5 he makes some b/s excuse that he cant meet up and i said that i am going that way Thursday night then nothing So i email Friday and said i can make it there Sunday morning we would leave at 9 and no response i get a email 15 after 9 and this it what it reads "I went out to pick up the motor but they were taken to scrap with a load of other things sorry" sure i was so excited to get my 1256 diesel re-power started i also let so many things slip by (ford 1200 diesel tractor for $200) well waiting for this Clown i am so disgusted how people are now what do you say ? also a Quick poll
i can get a honda like this one for 350 ( i have a trade so it would be 100)
Kohler magnum 16 K361 block ?
kohler ch20s
repair the smoky leaky never runs just right 1988 -tra-12d

Edited by 8tyman8, October 21, 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:54 AM

Sorry to hear you missed out on the Engine

Since I'm not a fan of Repowers and modifications, I would repair/ rebuild the original TRA-12D engine as there's nothing out there that can compare to the tried and true wisconsin engines. I'd bet you can get the wisconsin running again for less than what a "repower" engine would cost you. Most of the time all they need is a valve job,carb rebuild and a new set of rings.
Also a major plus of using the TRA-12D Is you wouldnt have to do any modifications or hack up the tractor to get a newer engine into it.

my
Posted Image

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 415 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 09:57 AM

Sorry to hear you missed out on the Engine

Since I'm not a fan of Repowers and modifications, I would repair/ rebuild the original TRA-12D engine as there's nothing out there that can compare to the tried and true wisconsin engines. I'd bet you can get the wisconsin running again for less than what a "repower" engine would cost you. Most of the time all they need is a valve job,carb rebuild and a new set of rings.
Also a major plus of using the TRA-12D Is you wouldnt have to do any modifications or hack up the tractor to get a newer engine into it.

my
Posted Image

the only thing is i already have multiple engines and my 1254 seamed under powered and i have no clue how much a rebuild would be as it smokes Alot and leaks oil like crazy ... Do they have the reed valves for the valve cover ? or does it just vent out ? it seems strange how it is a newer engine and it burns oil ?

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,362 Thanks
  • 1,808 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 10:19 AM

I know the feeling of not having a deal go through the way I wanted. I figure it's better to still have the change in pocket, than dealing with the aftermath of buying junk or an unpleasant encounter with a would be seller. Methinks, like Doc said; there's value in the original product and a lesson in getting it running with a few parts and elbow grease.IMO, Goodluck

#5 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,362 Thanks
  • 988 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 01:03 PM

I thought it was just me.. Nobody answers a phone anymore although nearly everyone has one in their pocket.. To far to reach for it I suppose.....

Spent about an hour texting trying to buy some items yesterday and this morning finally about 11 O'clock I get a text telling me that if I get there in 15 minutes that they can meet me.. I only live an hour away and still have no address for them ???

I guess the spoken word is lost on the newer push button generation. Sorry if you are a younger crowd and offended by my response but you should try and run a service business with all this nonsense going on it becomes a bit annoying.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 03:50 PM

the only thing is i already have multiple engines and my 1254 seamed under powered and i have no clue how much a rebuild would be as it smokes Alot and leaks oil like crazy ... Do they have the reed valves for the valve cover ? or does it just vent out ? it seems strange how it is a newer engine and it burns oil ?

Yes, there is a reed that is in the valve box.
Check and see if it is bent as that may be causing oil to leak since the vacuum is not working. Also a spec of dirt will cause problems as well.

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 415 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Yes, there is a reed that is in the valve box.
Check and see if it is bent as that may be causing oil to leak since the vacuum is not working. Also a spec of dirt will cause problems as well.

would that also cause the dip stick to pop out ?

Edited by 8tyman8, October 21, 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 04:29 PM

would that also cause the dip stick to pop out ?

Yes, The breather reed's job is to regulate the internal crankcase pressure so it dosent build up.
Sounds like you may have a faulty reed.

#9 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 415 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Yes, The breather reed's job is to regulate the internal crankcase pressure so it dosent build up.
Sounds like you may have a faulty reed.

I took it apart and cleaned inside the valve body there was excess carbon build up on the exhaust valve spring then i took the read valve out (it looked like it had been removed once before put it back together and it did not smoke as bad (still had that smoke under load and when you give it throttle ) also it goes thru oil i think there is a Wicked leak so i think it might also be loosing Crank case vacuum causing oil burning Also do the Wisconsin Normally shake or vibrate like crazy ? i drove the thing around for a bit and my legs are numb the drive shaft to the hydro looks true and the S/G hardly even budges i found the same thing on my 1254 i had tools and parts on the seat and now there on the ground LOL