Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

So I Got My Blaster Last Weekend...then...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:17 PM

My compressor takes a dump...so, I start lookin at new ones...and I figure why not rebuild the motor...everything else was good. So I ordered a new piston rod and sleeve assy for $50. from www.searspartsdirect.com they said it would be here on Thursday...so in the meantime I've been wire wheeling the rust off the plow and all of it's 'assemblies'. Getting ready to head to work today and viola...mailman shows up with the stuff...10 minutes later I was back in business. the oilless air compressor was pretty simple to rebuild. Ran it for 3 minutes and had 50lbs of pressure which isn't bad...for 3 mins then I shut it down. Headed to work had my wife read the gauge still at 50lbs so looks like I got it fixed :-) maybe tomorrow I'll get some blue paint on the plow assy :-).

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:40 PM

NOT GOOD to run a blaster with an oil-less compressor. They don't have a high enough rated duty cycle to stand it. They heat up red hot after several minutes & melt down the piston (if you call it a piston) & liner. I blew mine up learning the hard way, then went to an oil bath compressor & can run all day. I will only use an oil-less for small jobs.
  • Cat385B said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,566 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:58 PM

I have ruined the gasket on mine from letting it run. Learned my lesson that time, now I space my air needs so that I can shut it down after use. That was just using a hammer for an afternoon. I was a distance away from the compressor and didn't think of it how much it was cycling.

Edited by shorty, October 20, 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#4 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 10:15 PM

ya know, I probably should buy a bigger compressor, if I continue to have issues then I'll address it. But this one has served me pretty well. And the Piston assembly with sleeve was $50. Got it in 2 days without paying for 'fast' shipping...lets see where it goes. I don't have a 'ton' of blasting to do so I am sure it will be fine, 'for now', basically all I have to do is some painting with it so for that it functions pretty well given the tasks I throw at it...someday the inevitable will happen and I'll get me a new one...

#5 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 02:01 AM

Like ya say NutCASE, let it run, see what happens. I have several compressors, and my Thomas oil- less always surprises me....