• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 05:03 PM

Even though my wife has been out of work for a bit every once in a while something comes up that won't break the budget. Today I snagged a Deere tow-behind spreader, model TY8518 in gently used condition only one town over.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only real problem seems to be this rusty rear corner, plus, is it put together right? The rear brace seems to extend well beyond the hopper.

Posted Image

Lastly, can someone explain what this knob does? It has a very fine plastic thread attached to the black plastic piece around the spillway.

Posted Image

Edited by ggsteve, October 20, 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Nice snag on the spreader. The only thing I can think of that the screw would do is adjust the rate at which the spreader is applying materials.
  • Trav1s said thank you

#3 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 11:48 PM

The only thing I can think of that the screw would do is adjust the rate at which the spreader is applying materials.

I downloaded the manual and read the instructions about the knob and I'm even more confused. Something about centering the spread pattern and handling lightweight materials. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 05:20 AM

Good looking spreader.

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:07 AM

Very nice find!

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:15 AM

Something about centering the spread pattern and handling lightweight materials.

Rather than having the spreader throw material almost in a 180 degree pattern behind you, does that piece allow you to focus the spread pattern to a narrower area? I know spreading gypsom or lime that you're supposed to overlap quite a bit due to the material getting spread thinner on the edges of each pass.
  • ggsteve said thank you

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:23 AM

Steve, "Lastly, can someone explain what this knob does? It has a very fine plastic thread attached to the black plastic piece around the spillway."

I'm with you after reading the manual I'm thinking a over jealous engineer got a little carried away. My take is it's to put a little more materiel to the left or right depending on weight of materiel, angle of land, wind speed, etc. :D
P.S. reason for "bumper" to protect impeller?
  • ggsteve said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:51 AM

Nice spreader. The knob must be for spread direction, best thing I can think to do is try it out...

:dancingbanana: SEAT TIME :dancingbanana:

#9 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Rather than having the spreader throw material almost in a 180 degree pattern behind you, does that piece allow you to focus the spread pattern to a narrower area? I know spreading gypsom or lime that you're supposed to overlap quite a bit due to the material getting spread thinner on the edges of each pass.

I think you may be on the right track here, at least partially. The manual mentions turning the knob so that very light material falls on the back side of the diffuser to balance the spread pattern. I'll have to play with it and see what happens. I'm not that worried about it. My main reason for the purchase (besides the fact that I couldn't pass it up for $50) is to upgrade my sanding setup for the winter.

Steve, "Lastly, can someone explain what this knob does? It has a very fine plastic thread attached to the black plastic piece around the spillway."

I'm with you after reading the manual I'm thinking a over jealous engineer got a little carried away. My take is it's to put a little more materiel to the left or right depending on weight of materiel, angle of land, wind speed, etc. :D
P.S. reason for "bumper" to protect impeller?

I think I've figured out the bumper. It's so that you can store it on end without damaging the nice shiny stainless steel. I am also pretty sure they use the same frame with larger capacity hoppers. This one only holds 80 lbs.

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Great looking spreader. I've never seen that JD implement for GT's. Let us know how it works.

#11 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 09:43 AM

I would be worried about using sand in a unit meant for seed.. Plastic gears and all makes me wonder how long it would last. Sand will wear that diffuser fairly fast.. Nice find as it is.

#12 deentaylor OFFLINE  

deentaylor
  • Member No: 81064
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Sorry for picking up such an old thread, but I've just seen one of these spreaders for sale in my neighborhood. Two of you refer to having been able to download the manual, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere I can find.  Can you help me find a PDF?

Thanks in advance. 

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Jeez! I saw John@Reliable's post and got all excited.

• MH81 said thank you