• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 03:43 PM

The '65 had a hydraulic lift on it; I took the lift off, and I want to put it onto the '71. The linkages had all kinds of wear and play in them so I was going to remake them. Instead of remaking all of the pieces, I decided to go with a simple lever off of the hydro unit. Today I made a lever, the problem is that the threads keep stripping off of the rod. It is only mild steel. It is 3/8 rod with NC16 threads on it. If I tempered it do you think it would solve this problem? Is that a difficult process?

Posted Image

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 04:33 PM

Well, I hope the piece I am looking at is right. Where the pipe goes into the pump? if so you may want to cut a few threads deeper, Then 'temper it' by getting it red hot then cold water bath. Once that is done you can seal with 'red' locktite and use a lock nut on the new threads. My logic is the 'tempering' will make it 'harder' then the loctite will lock the assembly together and the lock nut will not permit any vibrtion. so you should 'theoretically' wind up with a tight perfect seal that is oblivious to vibration and leak...

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 04:34 PM

Mild steel isn't going to temper very well. Are you sure your die is sharp? How about alternatives like a 3/8-16 headless bolt with 3/8 tubing brazed on.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hardened steel is more brittle, mild steel has problems like what you are talking about. I think what you want is Case Hardened. Only the outside of the steel is hard.

Ryan, this is the process I use. It's not hard, you just need a torch, some old motor oil, and a vat of water.

http://www.ehow.com/...-motor-oil.html

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Well, I hope the piece I am looking at is right. Where the pipe goes into the pump? if so you may want to cut a few threads deeper, Then 'temper it' by getting it red hot then cold water bath. Once that is done you can seal with 'red' locktite and use a lock nut on the new threads. My logic is the 'tempering' will make it 'harder' then the loctite will lock the assembly together and the lock nut will not permit any vibrtion. so you should 'theoretically' wind up with a tight perfect seal that is oblivious to vibration and leak...

Exactly this was my first plan. But there is a ridge that would make it difficult and I don't know if the nut would clear. I might be able to cut the side off of a washer to compensate for that ridge.
Posted Image

Hardened steel is more brittle, mild steel has problems like what you are talking about. I think what you want is Case Hardened. Only the outside of the steel is hard.

Ryan, this is the process I use. It's not hard, you just need a torch, some old motor oil, and a vat of water.

http://www.ehow.com/...-motor-oil.html

Thanks for the link Alan! That is exactly what I need! I think I will "case harden it" and then do what I described in my quote to Jim.

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Are the threads you are putting the rod in worn out?
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Ryan, cut the threads BEFORE you harden it.

Are the threads you are putting the rod in worn out?

and that is a very real possibility. Never gave it a thought. Better check that out too.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 06:08 PM

How about using a grade 8 about 3-4" with the head cut off , welded to you handle , Al

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Ok, I got it figured out now!

At first I case hardened the rod and used a cut washer and a locking nut. It still stripped out. Like said, the threads were worn from being stripped and tapped a few times.
Posted Image
s
So, I bent over the other side and tapped then case hardened that. This method works like a charm! It's to bad that the steering column is in the way, because the bends in the rod now are otherwise perfect! Lol!
Posted Image

I am going to have to get another rod to make the lever again.

Just a side note, the case hardening process is very simple and fast!

#10 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 06:32 PM

try using stainless and tap the threads one size up