- - - - -

Time To Mend The Broken Dogeater

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 10:18 PM

Guess I should have read your post closer with the picture of the broken bearing. Useing the term stuffed (it is not as crude sounding as the same term used in the states) should have told me you were in the UK. I sure dont know who to refer you to for a bearing in the UK. But here most farm supply stores stock the pillow blocks. A good hardware or industrial supply company should have them. In a metropolitan area there are often bearing warehouses.
Clear back to my teen years, including being a gofer(go fer this go fer that)in a farm implement dealership, I have never been able to stump the guys at StandardBearing in Des Moines. If you can provide the shaft diameter and bolt spacing any of these should be able to help you. Pillow block bearings are commonly used in all kinds of machinery. I did not realize you were working with a pillow block. Most of them have a collar that is bored offcenter You take a punch and turn the collar, many also have a set screw. Hope this sill give you an idea where to look.
  • Sam said thank you

#17 BcKc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Sam, not all is lost on your "dog eater"! I have the very same model as you and did a quick inspection and repair.
Do not worry about shear pins; it does not have one. the collar on the shaft between the feed and the impeller is the relief, then the clutch on the driven end is the impellor relief for the main shaft from the motor. The gear box should be okay as it really sounds like the coupler has the splines gutted.
As for the pillow block you can get just the housing or the full unit from most bearing shops in your area.
If the infeed box is still stuck it the bearing on the input is well not the best.
Hope I have helped, message me if your stuck as I should have current part numbers for all the bearing on the unit.
  • Sam said thank you

#18 Sam OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 11:40 AM

Thanks guys, i will be back when i gather the parts needed, bearings wont be a problem but i think the housing will, i will keep one eye open for parts and hopefully have it running for next year.