#1 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 01:58 PM

g.JPG

I started to crack open this blower to have a look inside ( fan turns but augers dont) does anyone know the best way to remove this bearing housing?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 02:03 PM

Have you tried a 2 jaw bearing puller?
  • Sam said thank you

#3 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 02:05 PM

No i havent, i havent got one.. i was hoping there was an easy way to slide the whole lot off the axle, would a puller pull the whole lot off?

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 02:58 PM

Before you go that far, have you checked the splines on the shaft & collar where they fit together at the blower?
  • Sam said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 04:40 PM

You didn't break a shear pin did you?
  • Sam said thank you

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 04:53 PM

The whole bearing assembly should come off as a unit. There is probably an extended collar on the inside, toward the auger, where you'll likely find a couple of set screws. If you get the unit cleaned up once it comes off, you will probably be able to see how it comes apart to replace the bearing. Probably some kind of snap ring or retaining ring.
  • Sam said thank you

#7 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thanks guys, oldcowhand the shaft at the blower end looks to be ok, there doesnt seem much wear on it.
Lilysdad im not aware of any shear pins, where would they be? i should really have checked them first but there is no mention of them on my schematic drawing, but then it might not be for my machine, i just picked one up for "old style snowblower"
Caseguy, i see the extended collar and the holes on it where i presume those screws would be, i will clean it up better tomorrow and have a proper look at that, if i find screws and remove them would that whole unit slide off? just it seems the collar is not connected to the bearing, the collar will have to come off though, the bearing itself is fine im trying to get the bearing and auger off so i can remove the side from the gearbox for a look, when i look down the oil fill hole there is no trace of oil so im hoping its all siezed up, and not any broken teeth as there is no way i could ever find a new one here.

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Look along the center of each auger shaft. There might be a 5/16" hole, if so, rotate the fan very slowly to see if the shaft inside the auger shaft turns. If it does continue rotating it slowly. It's hard to spot sometimes but you eventually see the sheared off bolt in the inside shaft.
Mike
  • Sam said thank you

#9 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi, i cant see any holes on the auger shaft, hmm.. i will need to put this on hold while i get or make a set of pullers.
when looking through the oil fill hole i see a lot of rust inside, i was wondering if there would be any harm filling the whole gearbox with molasses, im in ro rush for this so it can sit for a few weeks filled, i have never used molasses before so out of curiosity im thinking of trying it then will wash the whole lot out, is it likely to work?

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 03:18 PM

I've never used molasses either, but am wondering what the exposure effects on the bearings might be. Also, how to really flush it all out without taking it all apart.

If you have a good sight line in there, I would slowly turn the auger and check in the case to see where the motion stops happening.

#11 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 10:46 AM

There are no shear pins on this blower, it is protected by a slip clutch. As one said check the coupling on the shaft between the auger gear box and fan the splines tear out. If its not the coupling then it could be a sheared key inside the gearbox, but more likey stripped gears. Drain the oil in the box and that should reveal metal if they are stripped. Link is a parts diagram.

http://www.oldgravel...le_IPL_0767.pdf
  • Sam said thank you

#12 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Well i got a set of pullers, real nice hydraulic ones...

G2.JPG

Guess thats me stuffed now, totally my fault, the legs of the pullers didnt reach the bearing and i figured it would be ok to pull the housing, lesson learnt.
Looking on the bright side i got the bearing off..

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Sam: I don't think I would put molassas in the gear box. I don't know where you live, but the Expression,"Slower than Molassas in January" had to come from someones bad experience? Dad liked to use that expression when I was a kid when he thought I was not moving fast enough. In Iowa it would be solid below freezing temps. I would be more inclined to fill the gearbox with diesel fuel to clean it out. That looks like a standard pillow block bearing that should not be hard to find.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 21, 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#14 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi JD, i was tempted to fill it with molasses but i havent seen any cow licks around so getting it was a problem, i then thought vinegar.. but in the end i decided just to crack it open and have a look, my original plan was to fill it with molasses then a few weeks later crack it open and clean everything but yes your right, probably a job for summer, might have been worth a try as i think its been a few years since its seen any oil.
I will keep my eyes open for a new bearing but im in the UK so im not overly confident i will find one, plan now is to carry on dismantling it and create a shopping list of parts i need, it wont be running this season though..
I tried vinegar with some rusty split rim wheels i got with it and was very impressed, just soaked them a few days and the rust came off very easy with a quick wire brush, only problem was it rusts back very quickly so its important to neutralise the acid after your done.

#15 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 05:22 PM

Well i got a set of pullers, real nice hydraulic ones...

G2.JPG

Guess thats me stuffed now, totally my fault, the legs of the pullers didnt reach the bearing and i figured it would be ok to pull the housing, lesson learnt.
Looking on the bright side i got the bearing off..

Ouch! Those bearings are meant to be taken apart before applying a puller, course you already know that now :anvil_drop: But heres the "good" news they are a standard 2 bolt pillow block bearings and "should" be easily found at a bearing supplier :thumbs: