LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Every time our gas prices start going down, a mishap, screw up, etc. occures at the refineries, gas lines and such, and up they go! This morning it was simply reported "they are having problems at the refinery".

Does anyone besides me think these may be self inflicted? Profits down? Just arrange to have an accident.

#2 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:28 AM

I agree, and every time we get close to vacation season with more people on the road it goes up. Must be nice to set your prices like that to insure your big bonus check.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:32 AM

Yep, I've been thinking that for years. Couple that with the people who have applied to build new refineries and have been denied, the sinking on the Keystone Pipeline project, drilling moratoriums, more taxes on fuels (which are supposedly having to go up because more fuel efficiency means less tax money, means less money for fixing roads... Which they aren't doing anyways), and every station is exactly the same price (can you say "price fixing")...

Make me think it's bigger than just a company saying "Hey, our profits are down", I'm thinking there's a much bigger puppet master involved.
  • caseguy and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yeah, the prez is likely getting some under the table for helping them control their little oil kingdom by shutting down any project that might give some competition.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:06 AM

This Pres isn't an oil man it was the previous who was tied in with oil. Bush's wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were motivated by mid east oil. I spent Monday in the local VA hospitol for several appointments. There you see the price that young people have been paying. I'm getting old and more sentimental but my opinion is that Bushs' wars are much worse than the war in Vietnam(LBJs'war"). Many of the young vets are getting less benefits than we're getting.

Bellyaching about gas prices isn't going to do any good. Vote out the politicians that don't care about the average citizen and do your best to conserve on resources.

Restoring and using old equipment can be a "green" activity. Spending a thousand to restore an old tractor that is then equivalent to a five thousand dollar new tractor is a big money and energy savings. If you then use the tractor to take care of your chores it saves your personnal energy for other things like growing a garden. Grow your own food and cut and burn your own firewood (a cord of dry hardwood is equivalent to 200 gallons of #2 oil)and you are helping to reduce your oil usage which will help save you and the country. Restoring and using old tractors is economical and patriotic!

Edited by boyscout862, October 20, 2012 - 08:10 AM.

• caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:28 AM

(a cord of dry hardwood is equivalent to 200 gallons of #2 oil)

I have never heard that comparison before, thanks for the info!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Look out!! The tree-tax is coming next!! :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:57 AM

The old Mother Earth News(MEN) Magazine had lots of good information like that in it. I had been interested in "independent living" since college and my fathers stories about N. Africa in WWII. I subscribed to MEN in college and for about twenty years.

I was the Energy Conservation Officer for Ft Belvoir, VA in 1977. I put to use alot that I learned in MEN and learned alot more on the job. It convinced me that conservation and alternate energy are necessary for the future. I built my house as passive solar and super insulated. The house is large with 2 - 2 car garages and only uses about three cords of oak a year to suppliment the solar heat. I use maybe 10 to 15 gallons of gas in the chainsaw, tractors and woodsplitter. Pus I really need that excercise. Now, after 15 years, I am having problems with deterrioration of the doors and windows. It was worth it because the solar heating did not increase the cost of the house and actually saved the cost of a heating system.
  • caseguy, JDBrian, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#9 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:59 AM

The common practice of using steel tanks and trusting that people would actually slow down near gas pumps went the way of Andy Taylor .Concrete costs and cutoff switches for demolished pumps may have something to do with the deal .

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 09:03 AM

...more taxes on fuels (which are supposedly having to go up because more fuel efficiency means less tax money, means less money for fixing roads...

Uncle Sam will not be denied! This is also the reason that the barter system is "illegal" unless both both parties pay the tax on the fair market value of the items involved!

...and every station is exactly the same price (can you say "price fixing")...

The separation of oil and gas as commodities cannot, IMHO, be viewed as anything but a way to better control the profits of the producers!

I'm thinking there's a much bigger puppet master involved.

" Use your anger Luke...soon your journey to the Dark Side will be complete..."
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Vote out the politicians that don't care about the average citizen

That right there is impossible this day and age.. NONE of em give a rats arse about anyone else.. Once in office it's all about who lines their pocket..

#12 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 09:45 AM

Our gas prices here in Ohio have dropped like a rock this past week. Filled up for $3.16 last night. I haven't heard of any big drop in oil prices though. I'm sure the impending election doesn't have anything to do with it! cough-gag!!
  • MH81, GTTinkerer and LilysDad have said thanks

#13 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 10:11 AM

. Once in office it's all about who lines their pocket..

And that is why the country is such a mess. The big business lines the pockets of the prez. And then he shuts down or makes there compatition low so the profits are big. And the ceo retires with a big bonus and a yearly pension that is more than I can dream of ever making. All the while sucking my hard earned money out of me because I want gas for my tractors and car.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Our gas prices here in Ohio have dropped like a rock this past week. Filled up for $3.16 last night. I haven't heard of any big drop in oil prices though. I'm sure the impending election doesn't have anything to do with it! cough-gag!!

Still $3.79 a gal here.
I live 30 minutes from where they drilled the first oil well. You'd think we'd get some kind of residual discount ;)

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 11:45 AM

Yeah, the prez is likely getting some under the table for helping them control their little oil kingdom

Actually, it's just about every congessman. I remember once several years ago when prices were going up bad, this one Senator got all self rightious and said he was going to do an investigation. About a week later he said"Never mind!". I guess he got his new orders.

Vote out the politicians that don't care about the average citizen and...

And who are you left with??? The lesser of two evils is still evil.
  • Team_Green said thank you