Well as most of you know this engine didn't have its fuel tank when I got it. I have a correct tank for it, in my spare parts, but it was in really bad shape. So I bid on several on ebay, but the always ended up going for $50-$100 for an old used Briggs tank!
I only paid $30 for the whole engine, and I wasn't about to spend twice that much on just a gas tank!! So I decided it was time to fix the old ratty one I had. It was rusty, and had a large dent/crease in it, so I heated up the seam to melt the solder, and took it apart. This allowed me to remove all the rust, and dents. I then soldered it back together, and leak checked it. I used just a little bondo to smooth the areas that I removed the dents from. I then primed, and painted it. This all turned out to be much easier than expected, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again to another tank if I needed to.
The first pic is of this tank still on the engine it came on. I had a better one at that point in time, so rather than fix it, I threw it in the spare parts bin. I had no choice, but to fix it this time.