48 replies to this topic

#1 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hey guys, I bought a 1964 power king tractor today. Serial number x107 and forget the rest off hand. It has the rounded original hood and a Briggs 23. Is that 10 horse? Anyhow it looks like it used to have electric start but its been taken off I guess. It has an ignition switch on the right part of the dash with one going to ground and one that I don't know where it goes. The other side has a newer toggle switch with both wires going to a solenoid on the left side of the motor. Can anyone show me a diagram oh how the ignition works on this? I'm totally new to this. Does it need a battery? Can it run headlights? Its not getting any spark what so ever. The points seem to be properly set at .20. I think this guy will run with some tinkering!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20121019_204200.jpg

Edited by farmer, October 19, 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#2 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hmm, i wonder if that key with wire to ground is an ignition kill, like those tecumsehs on the tube frame bolens. Does the key have a on or off marker?

I had that h14 , had to use 2 switches to replace the factory switch because it had an extra post that went to ground when turned off.

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:36 PM

Good looking tractor! It looks as though it was painted at one time, can be a double edged sword.

The original electric start for that year had a toggle switch and a push button. I attached a video I took of my '64 when it belonged to my neighbor. The intent was so people can see what to listen for in bad tranny bearings, but shows the controls pretty well.

Tomorrow, I will scan a diagram I have for the electrical system for you.
  • farmer said thank you

#4 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm not sure on the switch having an on and off marker. Does this type of ignition have a coil of any kind? Is it Built into the magneto? If I changed it over to a battery type ignition with a 12v coil how would I get it to charge?

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:03 PM

I'm not sure on the switch having an on and off marker. Does this type of ignition have a coil of any kind? Is it Built into the magneto? If I changed it over to a battery type ignition with a 12v coil how would I get it to charge?

Originaly, they had a starter/generator. When pushing the starter button power goes to the starter/generator and turns the engine over. Once the engine is running the generator part takes over and as it spins it charges your battery. That is just a simplified explanation on how it works. If you want a more in depth explanation we will have to wait for somebody who knows what they are talking about to come along.

#6 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:06 PM

That's what I'm missing so I can't covert to a battery ignition without electric start. Now I'm back to why won't it charge. I cleaned the points and flywheel but I feel like maybe somethings not connected possibly. I only paid 300 btw

Edited by farmer, October 19, 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:15 PM

The points and flywheel have nothing to do with the charging system. Do you have a starter/generator on it? If you don't know what or where it is, it is that black thing going through the dash that you can see in my video.

It sounds like the starting system on your tractor was added by a previous owner. If this is the case then it may not have a charging system. You may just have to put it on a charger every now and then, if you don't want to use a rope.
  • farmer said thank you

#8 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:23 PM

No starter/generator on it. I'm not sure if it ever had one. It has key and toggle switches and what looks like a starter solenoid with a negative cable running off of it but no signs of a starter or any mounting brackets or any battery holder and no belt off the flywheel

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:26 PM

It does not have a starter? Does it have a disconnected wire that looks like it may have went to one at some point?
  • farmer said thank you

#10 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Has some wires that may of. I think electric start was optional back then though

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yes, it was an option to have electric start back then.

I went back and looked at the picture you posted, I see the wire now. I think that somebody cut the corner of the hood off so they could mount a starter there.

#12 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Would anyone be so kind to take some pics of how the starter is mounted? I'm thinking of converting to maybe adding back electric start so I can go to a Kohler type ignition

#13 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yes, it was an option to have electric start back then.

I went back and looked at the picture you posted, I see the wire now. I think that somebody cut the corner of the hood off so they could mount a starter there.

Yeah isn't that sad and my 2414 has a big window someone cut to make it easy to installed the belt in the front. My luck

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:37 PM

I will scan a diagram I have of how the starter mounts when I do the electrical one for you. And I will also take some pictures as well.

What do you mean by back electric? And why do you want to go to a Kohler set-up?

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Yeah isn't that sad and my 2414 has a big window someone cut to make it easy to installed the belt in the front. My luck

What year is it? HERE is a short hood grill on eBay now. I don't know how the bottom of your grill is shaped, there were a few different styles.

Have you posted pictures of this tractor? If not, make sure to!