• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tenforty_2 OFFLINE  

tenforty_2
  • Member No: 13434
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have a sears suburban that my two sons used for pulling this past season. We pulled it in the 600, 700 & 900 lb classes. An older gentlemen at one of the last pulls this year told me I should take the variable drive pulley off and run the drive belt directly from the motor to the transaxle.

We have been using the variable drive to control wheel speed and it seems to work without slipping in 2nd gear, but slips a little in 3 rd.

Any thoughts on removing the variable drive pulley and stick?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:21 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk

I don't have a varidrive Sears, but am wondering about reducing or eliminating the slippage with a heavier tensioning spring. Take some playing to get one just shy of to much, but it should be doable.

Another thought, what kind of belts are you using? And also, have you tried any belt dressings?

#3 tenforty_2 OFFLINE  

tenforty_2
  • Member No: 13434
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the welcome! While Iam sure we could benefit from a new belt I was more curious about any benefits known with removing the variable drive pulley (strictly pulling tractor).

The last couple pulls the tractor just seem to run out of traction! The 11 HP (worn out) Briggs never changed tune! Will try to post a video.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 09:43 PM

If you're running out of traction, does the variable adjusted faster help?
  • tenforty_2 said thank you

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,407 Thanks
  • 3,157 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 10:43 AM

The old timer is correct , loose the vari drive if your pulling a transfer sled. You need to play with pulleys on the engine and get the best speed to HP you can. If your pulling a stone boat then its fine, you need to find traction.

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have seen several vari-drive tractors pull and do quite well.

By running out of traction do you mean the tires start to spin or the belts start slipping? If it is the tires spinning then either different tires or getting the front to rear weight balance correct is the issue unless the tractor has reached its limit with the weight you are running. If it is the belt slipping perhaps they are just glazed or worn out.

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 23, 2012 - 12:49 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk

I don't have a varidrive Sears, but am wondering about reducing or eliminating the slippage with a heavier tensioning spring. Take some playing to get one just shy of to much, but it should be doable.

If you are talking about a stiffer spring on the idler, it wont help much. All of the "pulling" is done on the other side of the drive pulley. The idler is on the "slack" side of the belt to take the slap out(or act as a clutch). Pulling harder on the idler will just result in excessive belt and bearing wear.