10 replies to this topic

#1 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 06:30 PM

I am buying this tractor it is a nice baked brown color it's not deep fried in rust but a good shade of it. I may restore it, probably will if its in good shape. It looks pretty good. I can't tell the exact model type though, it is an S series two speed. That much you can tell. Guards missing but not a big deal. I notice there is a linkage bar missing that runs from the left lift arm to the back hitch. Is there anything that seems off to any of you more experienced Speedex guys? It's missing the coil, but the rest of the engine looks good too.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• tractormike and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Looks like it is missing the belt. Some of the wiring looks a little messed up too. Still looks like it has lots of potential though.Of course that all depends on the price. I have a 1040 Speedex and I really like it.

#3 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:08 PM

I think what you have found is either an S-23 or S-24 model.Are the rear wheels 15 inch diameter? I have a S-24 and yours looks very close to my tractor. They are a very basic tractor, not a lot of extra's on it. About all I see that may be missing is the belt and the belt guard. I am guessing that the bracket bolted to the middle of the frame rails was for a battery but I don't see an electric starter on the engine. On my Seedex the engine is a Briggs 23D with the starter/generator setup on it. My battery holder is down between the frame rails and the battery is below the top of the frame rails.
This should make you a great project to work with. Have fun and keep us posted!

#4 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 12:17 PM

sorry mike but if you compare the tire to seat at the same angle those are a 6.00/16 not the 8.00/16 tires used on the s24 .this one resembles my s14/s17 but without something else to compare to i am going with an s14 . is the engine a 5hp or 7 hp and what is the frame length from the back of the axle tube in the rear to the front of the frame not including the front axle just the actual frame length ? the tractor looks to be complete except for the belt and guard ,and the sheave doesn't look to be correct either it should have a 4-5-4 sheave the 4-5 for the trany drive and the outside 4 to run the attachments . the hood latch handle is missing, so if it's over $150 it would be too much , but that depends on your view point and how much you are willing to spend on a piece of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . Insert your own thought . I think it would be a great project because being almost all there with just a few parts to locate and most could be found at fall shows around the area you live . also go check out the manuals section there is a list in the misc stuff that shows the letter series for the s series that will tell you what model and year by the letter in the serial # [example my S17 is serial AM240 the am is 1968 #240 off the production line as i understand the number/letter combo .] thats not to say the tractor was made in 1968 it was probally made in 1967 for the 1968 model year and remember they ONLY made about 1000 units of each model per year for the S series. :smilewink: :smiley-score008: and that's no :bs:

Edited by bolex, October 20, 2012 - 12:28 PM.

• Gfann said thank you

#5 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:08 PM

I went and picked it up today, I took a few more pictures. I was told it was an S17. I payed $200 for it, and a mower deck. I got another hood and the belt guard with that too. I feel OK with the price sense it does appear to be mostly there it is missing the ignition coil. There is a starter mount on the engine. 'Tractormike' mentioned the batter box. I think there was an electric starter at one point not sure if the engine is original perhaps the starter broke or something and the recoil starter was put on as a cheaper alternative. The engine is 8HP. I plane on getting looking a lot better and using it for a dedicated plow/trailor puller, to use during the summer for projects and a back up winter plow. But I wont be able to get to it until next summer because my current project is taking over my small workshop... a.k.a. the shed. I don't plan on using the deck if anyone is interested in it. The deck is to small for my yard and I already have a 46inch deck on my Cub Cadet 100. I also have a deck roughly the same size on my other project too so just don't need it and I don't have the space. I didn't measure the frame I'll look into it a little more tomorrow. The engine info is, model: 190452 type: 0549-01 code: 74061710. I think I recall someone telling me that the first two digits of the code# is the year I might be wrong about that, but if not then the year is 74 which would mean the engine isn't original.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-10-20-16-35-33-DSC02711.JPG
  • 2012-10-20-16-35-52-DSC02712.JPG
  • 2012-10-20-16-36-52-DSC02715.JPG
  • 2012-10-20-16-36-59-DSC02716.JPG

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:46 PM

S-series are so crude! Don't know how they sold those old designs that long! I see you have the block on the so called "Brake". Most I ever seen don't have that or whole system missing. Only one or two gears?? That big handle sticking out under seat the "shifter"? I kinda like later model speedex's but can't seem to like the old S series. It does look pretty much there tho. Seems the hoods are hard to find and big money and yours looks good. Curious how you know coil is missing? No spark wire? I see the shrould is not off, maybe it's tucked inside? No outside coil on BS engines.

#7 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 10:40 PM

It does look pretty much there tho. Seems the hoods are hard to find and big money and yours looks good. Curious how you know coil is missing? No spark wire? I see the shrould is not off, maybe it's tucked inside? No outside coil on BS engines.

As to the coil, I was told it wasn't there but it could very be tucked under or rotted off. I have a better hood then what is on there and a belt guard in much better condition then what is there. I just rebuilt that style engine, little earlier model, on another tractor. Exact same Carb too. The main reason for buying this was that my grandfather had one and there is a picture of him, my mother and, my uncle using it in the 60s and early 70s. The transmission is two speed. The S series Tractors are actually a surprisingly spindly tractor for the era. Typically tractors are heavy and durable. I was told by Speedex enthusiasts that it was "the first riding mower". I don't think that's meant to be taken in a literal sense; there were other riding mowers before speedex. I think they mean that in the sense that it was more modern in its design. That it was the first that used a minimized construction concept to limit costs and make a cheaper easier tractor for consumers and for the company to produce, if that were the case, and I am speculating, it might explain their longevity in that era. The sliding engine which eliminates the need for a clutch also makes it less prone to mechanical failure and easier to repair. I like tractors that just have a uniqueness to them. What I find interesting about the speedex is the sliding engine which eliminates the need for a clutch. I'm definitely not planning on using the speedex for any heavy lifting thats what I use the 100 for. But it's a neat little tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• 009.JPG
  • 2012-08-25-11-27-24-148.JPG

#8 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 06:21 PM

I am pretty sure it is the first 'floating' belly mower. And while the speedexe's are relative 'crude' in design and function they are stout tractors and definitely work horses. They were designed so if they failed in the field, the typical farmer could with a welder and some ingenuity fix whatever it was that stopped it so the work could continue.They are real neat looking tractors and very distinct.
  • Gfann said thank you

#9 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 03:37 PM

let me know what you want for the extra hood and the deck i will see if i can afford it . the unit looks sound some items can be overcome with some elbowgrease but it can take time to find some of the stuff . the tranny is the same for the s 14/17 as i have found out but the s 23/24 tranny uses larger shafts inside .it may not seem like much but once it's doing it's share of the work you will be happy with it ,at least i'm happy with mine so good luck :thumbs:

#10 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 04:53 PM

let me know what you want for the extra hood and the deck

The "extra hood, is the one I'm going to use but the hood that is currently on it needs a little TLC and band aids. If you are good with a Mig welder you could get it solid again. If you want to buy the deck, I'll through in the rusty brown hood if your interested. The number that pops into my head at the moment is $75. Let me know what you think. The Deck is 34" long probably a 32" cut. Spindles turn smooth. There are some holes in the deck's metal but not at the structural points. The Mig welder might come in handy for that too. I'm negotiable. I am also always into bartering. I am in need of some front tires a couple sets, if you got some. Anything else tractor related - I'm listen.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02736.JPG
  • DSC02737.JPG
  • DSC02739.JPG
  • DSC02733.JPG
  • DSC02734.JPG
  • DSC02735.JPG

#11 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 05:13 PM

I also found out that neither the ignition coil or the points unit is there. Fortunately I have extra of those. The throttle cable and choke need re set. Probably need some gaskets but other then that it looks like it'll be in pretty good order just needs cleaned up. It looks like an easy tractor to restore pull the big stuff off and power wash it and sand blast and on to painting. But that will be a next summer project. I've playing around with the idea of building a small excavator too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speedex