• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jfejedelem OFFLINE  

jfejedelem
  • Member No: 13050
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 05:30 PM

I have a couple questions that hopefully you guys can answer. First on the gear housings when I went to re fill them after a oil change I cannot get the full 1 1/2 pints in with the center check plug out, it starts to run out after 14-16 oz. Should I fill it till it comes out the check plug, or put the plug in and put the full 24 oz in? Also on the rear end when I drained it it was to the base of the threads but now with the 2 pints it is about 1/2" down from the threads, is it close enough? Thanks for any help, Jimmy

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Welcome to the site! Is the model a 1612 or Jim Dandy? Either your model or year is off. On both the 1612 and Jim Dandy models they had smaller final drives then other models. Where did you get those measurements from? You may have been looking at the specs for a larger model. If you have pictures, please share!

#3 jfejedelem OFFLINE  

jfejedelem
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:03 PM

I dont have the serial number on me, but it is a 68 power king 12hp with 16" rims. The previous owner put a video on u tube of it under user name 526882B. The manual I got the specs out of is off of this site for a later model. I will be ordering the correct manual soon, but money is streached thin after buying the tractor and the parts to get it running again.

Edited by jfejedelem, October 19, 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Is it this one? If it is, you have a very nice tractor! I can't tell you how many times I have watched that video. Lol!

#5 jfejedelem OFFLINE  

jfejedelem
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 10:49 PM

That is it, I found the video on accident after I bought the tractor. The tractor has a couple unique things about it, on the left side by the motor it has an old oversized car horn, a horn button in the middle of the dash, and the back rest. The serial number is X15346E. I bought it not running with the head off because of a bad head gasket, I wish it was still as nice as in the video, I bought it from the owner after the person who put the video up, and it sat outside for 6 months before he sold it to me.

#6 jfejedelem OFFLINE  

jfejedelem
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 11:06 PM

I just down loaded the service manual and am more confused? When you look at the final drive exploded diagrams the one for the 1612 dosent look like mine, mine looks like the standard early design with the brake housing around the brake band?

#7 jfejedelem OFFLINE  

jfejedelem
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 02:45 PM

20121021_214108.jpg 20121021_214124.jpg

Well what do you guys think, am I nuts or are these the larger bull gear assemblies, and my tractor is some sort of 12hp mutt, not a true 1612. Thanks again for any help, Jimmy

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 03:28 PM

I think those might be the small ones. Can you get a measurement of the width?

I see what you mean, the condition is not as nice as in the video. But, it still looks to be in pretty good shape still!

Edited by Ryan313, October 22, 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#9 jfejedelem OFFLINE  

jfejedelem
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Yeah it is amazing how sitting outside for six months rusts a nice tractor. It will be getting a worker restoration next summer. The bull gear housing is about 12-13 inches where the axle comes out, and the drum brakes are 4 inches. So the million dollar question, is it the big bull gear or small? Thanks again, Jimmy

#10 jfejedelem OFFLINE  

jfejedelem
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 08:01 PM

So did anyone have a chance to measure there tractor? It is really bothering me what I have. Also what else is different between a 12hp model and the 14hp model? The hood has 12hp decals on it, and they seem to be original. Someone please let me know so I can stop loosing sleep at night. :D

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 06:15 AM

So did anyone have a chance to measure there tractor? It is really bothering me what I have. Also what else is different between a 12hp model and the 14hp model? The hood has 12hp decals on it, and they seem to be original. Someone please let me know so I can stop loosing sleep at night. :D

I just went out and measured the bull gear casing on my 2414 and it measures the same as yours so you have the regular PK rear end. The 4" brake drum is indicative of the Power King models as well. The difference between the 12hp tractor and 14hp tractor can get complicated to a point when you factor in the Jim Dandy. We won't go there for this post because you have a Power King model and that answer is relatively simple. 2hp. That's it. The 12hp and 14hp engines even look identical until you take the head off.

If you really want to get anal about things, you have an Economy tractor that is a Power King model, not a 1612. The numbers were not used until the company built tractors became known as Power Kings and not Economys. I find the numbers much easier to nail down what someone is talking about myself so I'm cool with it. Just thought I would throw in that little bit of trivia.

So, sleep well, now you know. I'll PM you an address where you can send the million dollars.

Edited by David Brown, October 25, 2012 - 06:19 AM.

• jfejedelem said thank you

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 06:26 AM

That is it, I found the video on accident after I bought the tractor. The tractor has a couple unique things about it, on the left side by the motor it has an old oversized car horn, a horn button in the middle of the dash, and the back rest. The serial number is X15346E. I bought it not running with the head off because of a bad head gasket, I wish it was still as nice as in the video, I bought it from the owner after the person who put the video up, and it sat outside for 6 months before he sold it to me.

You'll like that seat and back rest. I had one like it once and it was the most comfortable seat I ever had on a tractor. I wish I still had it. And, yes, it is a 1968 according to the serial number.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 08:24 PM

I measured mine today, and those are the big ones. Like Jeff stated, the differences between your tractor and a 14hp is just the engine. The company started to use the numbers as model designations in the mid to late 70's, but for simplicity they are used to identify tractors made before that.

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 08:26 PM

You'll like that seat and back rest. I had one like it once and it was the most comfortable seat I ever had on a tractor. I wish I still had it. And, yes, it is a 1968 according to the serial number.

The '75 used to have a back rest like that, but it got taken off a few years ago, (the reason I don't remember) and I don't know what happened to it now! I have looked high and low for it but can't find it! :boo_hoo:

#15 jfejedelem OFFLINE  

jfejedelem
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me. I still havent gotten much sleep though had to do a garage roof. I did get the chance to play with the tractor to hoist the shingles up to the roof :thumbs: worked very good. Also was able to pull the dumpster into position with it. The back rest is nice, but I need a cover for the bottum, bare metal will be cold this winter clearing snow, if we get any this year.