• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hitempguy OFFLINE  

hitempguy

• Member No: 1012
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi All, New to this forum. Just picked up a MF 12 with 11 hp Kohler conversion and mower deck.
I am having trouble adjusting the clutch/brake:confuse:. I think the idler off the engine is not disengaging enough to stop the transmission from rotating making it difficult to put into gear. Any thoughts?
ps, grew up with a MF 10

#2 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 04:53 PM

Go here..... Tractor Manuals - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk

The MF 10-12 manual has the adjustments, I am sure

#3 hitempguy OFFLINE  

hitempguy

• Member No: 1012
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 15, 2010 - 04:17 PM

Thanks, I think I found the problem. When the prior owners installed the Kohler, they used the Tecumseh mounting holes for the engine. I think this placed the drive pulley too close to the variable drive pulley, so to maintain tension they added a tensioner pulley. I will have to move the motor, so now I will have to find the factory center to center for the two pulleys.(Anyone know that offhand?)

#4 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted August 16, 2010 - 06:15 PM

The distance between the two pulleys is not fixed since the variable drive pulley moves forwards and backwards to change the speed of the transmission drive belt. However, the front drive belt is meant to be 45 inches OD, and this should be a loose fit around the outside of the variator sheaves and around the pulley off the engine so that it slips when when the variator is in park position. In this position, the variator shaft should also be engaging the brake rod by 1/16th of an inch. So - theoretically you can set the position of the variator to engage the brake (no movement of tractor forward and a little bit backward), then position the engine to allow a 45 inch belt to be a loose fit around the two pulleys. How you do that in practice I am not so sure... Good luck!

George.