16 replies to this topic

#1 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Okay, so I'm ready to graduate from the rattle cans. I bought an old Gilson snowblower and wanted to freshen up the paint. I'm Going with our local Napa's line Martin Senour Urethane at about $45 per quart since I've read the Valspar paints have been removed from TSC shelves.

I know prep and technique matter more than anything when you are either new or been out of practice for a number of years. So my question is among the HF's, Lowe's, and Home Depot lines which would you buy again, or has had the best controls, and is a touch-up gun sufficient or would I be best served with a full size gun?

I have an old conventional gun for primer and looking at getting an HVLP for the color coat.
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#2 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 10:26 PM

Just got the 220 back in my shop so the compressor works again and I've been having similar thoughts, hope there is some good feedback on this. :watch_over_fence:

#3 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 10:37 PM

No 220 for me, but I have a 110 Kobalt 30 gal that is rated at 5.3 SCFM @ 90 and 6.2 SCFM @ 40 psi. Not a powerhouse, but I don't mind waiting for it to catch up most days.

#4 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 10:41 PM

Well here is my take...
First HF has plenty of good reviews. People generally dislike them for the country of origin. However, it is impossible to find a better setup for the $. Here is a link to 2 guns, one for large area applications and one detail gun. The large gun comes with a 1.4 tip which is good for base/clear and a 1.8 tip which is considered a primer tip.

For $50 you wind up with essentially 3 guns...and a convenient place to keep them protected...
http://www.harborfre...-kit-94572.html

become familiar with them, clean them thoroughly (before and after each use &) they will perform very well.

I've not used guns from Lowes, or Home depot, but I have used some higher end guns and the HF guns generally perform with them. I am an occasional sprayer, and I don't have a large compressor 33gallon 5 hp craftsman compressor. The compressor is generally adequate for all the garden tractor stuff. I sprayed my bedside on the silverado and I had to wait a minute or 2 for the compressor but not to bad...and it built up enough pressure between coats so it was almost not noticed. I would recommend if you're going to do a complete color change on a full size car or truck, get a bigger compressor.

Hopefully this helps...GL

Edited by NutCASE, October 18, 2012 - 10:43 PM.

• Alc, TerryD and Arti have said thanks

#5 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 11:03 PM

Thanks NutCASE. I've been thinking of trying that set. I may have to make a trip to HF this weekend and check them out. You are right though, that is a heck of a good price for what I plan to use them on. I read the seals will dissolve if you let acetone sit in the guns for very long. If I get them I'll have to remember to only use thinner for cleanup.
  • CASENUT said thank you

#6 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Thanks NutCASE. I've been thinking of trying that set. I may have to make a trip to HF this weekend and check them out. You are right though, that is a heck of a good price for what I plan to use them on. I read the seals will dissolve if you let acetone sit in the guns for very long. If I get them I'll have to remember to only use thinner for cleanup.

No problem Terry, I would however use lacquer thinner for clean up of the gun or urethane thinner. I NEVER put Acetone in my guns, from time to time I will use Acetone for a cleanup wipe ...but Not in my guns. You won't be disappointed with the set. You may want to consider this while youre there...makes cleaning the guns a snap... for $5
http://www.harborfre...-kit-99634.html
  • Alc, TerryD and LilysDad have said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 05:43 AM

TerryD when you get your paint & primer for your spray guns you might want to pick some spray primer for the same paint . This way if your perparing a few small parts you can at least get 1 coat of primer on with the spray cans instead of mixing & cleaning a gun . Then when you have enough ready to add extra primer or paint it will make worth getting the gun dirty . When I clean my gun I'll wipe as much as I can with rags then use new thinner . .I'll save the old dirty thinner in another container for cleaning the outside of the gun on the next paint job or spills , Al
  • CASENUT, TerryD and LilysDad have said thanks

#8 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 07:17 AM

I have the HF guns. They work very well for me.
Seems like you need about 10 to 15 cfm of air to work on a larger project.
Not so much over spray with the hvlp type of gun I usually use the small touch up gun for lawn mowers it's easier for me to handle and the smaller size lets you get in tight spaces better.
For $50 dollars if you only used it once it would be well worth it.
  • TerryD said thank you

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:11 AM

I use the HF touch up gun to paint GTs. It's plenty big enough. My only complaint is the rough finish on the pot. It's hard to get it clean.
  • TerryD said thank you

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have one of the HF guns, what wrench do you use to take the gun nozzle off?

#11 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Terry,

I have a HVLP bottm feed gun from Craftsman, I think it was about a hundred dollars years ago and money well spent. It has been used plenty, and owes me nothing. Inregards to seals/ O-rings, yes , acetone or brush cleaner will eat some of them. Replace them with Viton seals, and have no worries.

My touch-up gun is Kobalt branded from Lowes, on sale a few years back for 35 bucks. The plastic color cup is the downfall on this one, and the joint from said cup to the gun body is the weak link. Occasionally I get a drip from it, so the remedy there was to wrap the threads with teflon plumbers tape.

Maybe someday I will pony up for an Iwata or Sharpe, but that might mean I'll have to get serious . :rolling:

In the case of learning a new skill, my opinion is that you are making the right move by going to a spray gun, whatever brand you decide on. :thumbs:

Edited by marlboro180, October 19, 2012 - 09:43 AM.

• TerryD said thank you

#12 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 10:22 AM

TerryD when you get your paint & primer for your spray guns you might want to pick some spray primer for the same paint . This way if your perparing a few small parts you can at least get 1 coat of primer on with the spray cans instead of mixing & cleaning a gun . Then when you have enough ready to add extra primer or paint it will make worth getting the gun dirty . When I clean my gun I'll wipe as much as I can with rags then use new thinner . .I'll save the old dirty thinner in another container for cleaning the outside of the gun on the next paint job or spills , Al

This is a great practice... Ialways do it too. Immediately following a spray job I pour an ounce or so of new thinner in the cup slosh it around in there and spray it into an old trash can, then disassemble the gun soaking components in new thinner - brush out all passages, wipe it down w clean thinner on a rag, Blow the tip w compressed air, make sure the cup has been wiped perfectly clean. Reassemble the gun, pour a little new thinner in the cup and spray again...then you're ready for 'next time'.
  • TerryD said thank you

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have one of the HF guns, what wrench do you use to take the gun nozzle off?

If you mean size, I don't remember off hand. It has to be a narrow one, though. If you have a cheap wrench, you can grind it down narrow.
  • sacsr said thank you

#14 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 11:32 AM

I think it is a 19mm. I was hoping to buy one.....but figured I was going to have to make one to fit it.

#15 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 01:17 PM

The one in the kit...If you get the 2 gun set the wrench for disassembly comes with it...
  • sacsr and TerryD have said thanks