18 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 10:17 AM

So I thought on the weekend, I would "go over" my 318 before I put the blower on it,

318teardown.jpg

Just thought I would blow out the hydro and the hydro cooler,

Anyway, one thing leads to another and another and ......

Pulled the belly screen found about 3 pounds of grass and leaves stuck in there. I have to change the hydro oil. Don't think the drive shaft was ever greased. Adjust the brakes, got them working. Found my PTO wiring connection is broke and was falling apart. Would like to check the PTO gap adjustment, replace on the light bulbs, clean the connections etc, get those working.

It seems like I'm not making any progress , just finding more Maint. items todo.

And the snow is coming, LOL,

In the corner you can see the H14xl, its all tore apart with the valve guide out of it,

Its like a GT shop of horrors in there,

#2 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 11:47 AM

If it isn't one thing, it's another. I hope you get the 318 in shape for the snow.

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,439 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 12:14 PM

Yes, and the main problem is: winter comes every year after fall :hitting_self_roller:

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 12:15 PM

I know what your speaking about.I put my cab on and the blower on the GC 2300. Started checking things over and there were numerous things that needed to be done.Guess its a good thing to find and get everything repaired and fixed before the snow does actually arrive.Larry

#5 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 01:58 PM

Man, sometime John Deere just ticks me off,

Needed the bulbs for this tractor , every single one busted, they wanted $4 a piece,

Went to my LOCAL small town auto parts store on lunch, $3.70with tax for all 5, Thank goodness for the Aftermarket.

I have another question , Any thoughts on the Type F fluid VS the JD Hy-guard? Is one better, has anyone tried the type F?

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 02:29 PM

Yes, and the main problem is: winter comes every year after fall :hitting_self_roller:

I thought Al Gore said we were all through with that.

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 02:32 PM

I wanted the 120 back together before it got cold so I could use the snowblower if necessary. Not looking good right not. The 110 is still wearing the deck as the trees have not dropped their leaves. That could change considering the 40-50 MPH gusts today.

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 03:59 PM

I have another question , Any thoughts on the Type F fluid VS the JD Hy-guard? Is one better, has anyone tried the type F?

Not sure on your machine, but my Wheel Horse information says to NOT mix different types of hydro oils. Use transmission, OR hydraulic fluid, BUT DO NOT MIX.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 05:11 PM

I use Hy gard in mine because I plan to share the 54 blade with the 2320 which is not approved for ATF. Last time I checked there wasn't that much difference in the price so for a few extra bucks I go with Hy gard. Both my 300 series tractors came with ATF but I switched them over. The 314 pulls like an ox with the hy gard in it even though it has a lot of hours on it.

#10 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Needed the bulbs for this tractor , every single one busted, they wanted $4 a piece,

Went to my LOCAL small town auto parts store on lunch, $3.70with tax for all 5, Thank goodness for the Aftermarket.

I use Type F. Seems to work fine. These old Deeres have been running since long before Hygard existed.

#11 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 05:17 PM

So I thought on the weekend, I would "go over" my 318 before I put the blower on it,

318teardown.jpg

Just thought I would blow out the hydro and the hydro cooler,

Anyway, one thing leads to another and another and ......

Pulled the belly screen found about 3 pounds of grass and leaves stuck in there. I have to change the hydro oil. Don't think the drive shaft was ever greased. Adjust the brakes, got them working. Found my PTO wiring connection is broke and was falling apart. Would like to check the PTO gap adjustment, replace on the light bulbs, clean the connections etc, get those working.

It seems like I'm not making any progress , just finding more Maint. items todo.

And the snow is coming, LOL,

In the corner you can see the H14xl, its all tore apart with the valve guide out of it,

Its like a GT shop of horrors in there,

If you don't get one of those ready for snow soon you can pretty much guarantee an early season 18", or should I say 50 cm.

Edited by ggsteve, October 18, 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 05:20 PM

I use the Hygard in my 420. Seems a little happier in the cold.

#13 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Might just be my imagination but I use a generic HyGuard from a local farm store. The hydraulics seem happier with HyGuard than the atf.

#14 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 08:24 PM

If you don't get one of those ready for snow soon you can pretty much guarantee an early season 18", or should I say 50 cm.

ya i hear that, i'm hoping I'll get some more done this weekend.

on a side

You know its funny i grew up in canada, learned metric all through school, and i started working in construction after school. Now i think in feet and inches. i have to think about 50 cm, but 18 inches i just know of the top of my head,

i dounno just thought it was funny.

#15 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Got a little further today, Brakes are adjusted, I believe there working now. The parking brake is still stuck, can't move it, have to investage that a little further.

I put a zip tie around that PTO electrical connector, so its fully closed and the weather stripping part is inside the connector.

Straightened out the front grill and gave that a quick shot of paint. Its not perfect, but I think it looks better than before, I've attached the orginal pic.

Gave the side panels a quick shot of paint. I figure that there will be more time for a better paint job in the spring? Hopefully? LOL, Or at least I'll do some wet sanding I guess.

The hood is off now, the lights were all busted and solid dirt in there, got the clear head light lens out (which was solid brown), thinking the hood will get a quick shot of paint.

Just gotta get this ready for the snow,

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20121020-002331.JPG
  • IMG-20121020-00234.jpg
  • IMG00386.jpg

Edited by Jehtro, October 20, 2012 - 09:09 PM.