13 replies to this topic

#1 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • Member No: 632
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new here and would like to say that it's nice to see people that are interested in older lawn tractors such as I am. I just wanted to see if anybody had a pretty accurate way of measuring for a belt that isn't there. one way that I thought of was to use an actual "tape" measure, (like ones that seamstess' use) I just wanted to see if anybody had any different methods that they have had success with.

Thanks!

Tyler

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 01:26 PM

String works good too. Welcome to the site Tyler.

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 01:41 PM

I drag it though my hands in a straight line with a tape measure along the back side.

#4 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Hopefully this will help getting the mower belt on my d4-10.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,592 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 03:11 PM

What I do WHEN there's an long enough old no good belt laying around, is to cut the belt, then lay the belt in the pulleys the full length around, mark the spot, then measure it. Tell you what Br, I have such a belt, so after I cool down a bit from the day's work, I'll go measure to see what length belt you need. I'm gonna have to do it sometime anyway for myself.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,592 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 03:57 PM

Sorry, I forgot, it's the "pto to deck" belt you need a measurement for, NOT the deck belt itself. Sorry, I can't check that as my tractor is torn apart for restoration. My other D4-10 doesn't have a pto clutch on it, so even if I mounted the deck, I couldn't get the reading for you. Hopefully you can find a worn belt to go by. Usually, whatever measurement you get, you will need to get a tad shorter, as you cannot get the belt that tight holding by hand. So like if you get 60 1/2", I'd go down at least to 60". Usually I also get 2 or 3 belts, one shorter, one a tad longer...that is IF your parts guy will allow you to return the ones that don't fit. Saves trips.
  • brzezinski01 said thank you

#7 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 04:07 PM

haha I read your first post and was thinking "no way, that was too easy" lol (it would have been my first stroke of luck with this tractor). but yeah I kinda figured I would have to mess around with it and just hope I get lucky. My d4-10 has the 32" single blade deck on it, so there is only one pully right on top of the deck. so, I'll mess around and when I get it figured out I'll post on here. I don't know if you guys have something where a measurement could be stored for future reference.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 04:42 PM

haha I read your first post and was thinking "no way, that was too easy" lol (it would have been my first stroke of luck with this tractor). but yeah I kinda figured I would have to mess around with it and just hope I get lucky. My d4-10 has the 32" single blade deck on it, so there is only one pully right on top of the deck. so, I'll mess around and when I get it figured out I'll post on here. I don't know if you guys have something where a measurement could be stored for future reference.

Yes, a "sticky" thread can be made in the Bush Hog forum with the measurements :thumbs:

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,592 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 05:02 PM

Yes, a "sticky" thread can be made in the Bush Hog forum with the measurements :thumbs:

Yep, sure can & will when you get the correct belt. I have two 42" Bush Hog decks, triple blades. BTW...have you posted pics of your D4-10 here? If not, please do so. If ya have, point me to them as I've missed them. I'll check your profile for any pics.

#10 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 07:50 PM

Yep, sure can & will when you get the correct belt. I have two 42" Bush Hog decks, triple blades. BTW...have you posted pics of your D4-10 here? If not, please do so. If ya have, point me to them as I've missed them. I'll check your profile for any pics.

yep! just uploaded pics of the d4-10 and my Deere 212 over in the gallery!

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,592 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 07:55 PM

yep! just uploaded pics of the d4-10 and my Deere 212 over in the gallery!

The Hog even still has the cast logo in the grille screen! rare they are still intact! Looks like a carbon copy of mine before I broke it down to restore.

#12 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 08:01 PM

I can't wait to restore this beast, I just got it back from a guy who got it running for me. 2 high is pretty close to terrifying if you don't know what to expect. It was sitting out in front of this guys house when I saw it, he wanted $600 for it but said he would $300 so I bought it. came with 2 decks (both are 32" but mount completly different) a front blade, and a box of parts and what have you that the guy couldnt even tell me what they were for. so needless to say, it's going to be an adventure.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,592 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 09:01 PM

2nd high will rattle the bones! And if not used to having a separate brake pedal, that speed can get you in a hurt quick! When you can get to it, take some pics of the assorted stuff. Maybe I can help identify some of it.

#14 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 10:15 PM

I drag it though my hands in a straight line with a tape measure along the back side.

Sorry, thought you had a belt to get a dimension from.
If you have no belt use Daniel's idea. That's what I do when you have nothing to start with.