• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Well doing this i thought it was going to smell like lemon but it stinks like a charging battery actually i thought i was going to puke

I was referring to your backdrop in the pics, Orville Redinbocker Popcorn box.
  • larryd said thank you

#17 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 05:49 PM

I was just wondering if the lemon juice as it comes in the bottle would work without the heat, may take a little longer but what the heck.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, February 20, 2013 - 08:55 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#18 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 09:39 AM

im gonna have to try this when i redo the cub this summer thanks for the tip and the before an after pics

#19 skiwithjohn OFFLINE  

skiwithjohn
  • Member No: 10293
  • 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:49 PM

I think I will have to give the lemon juice a try in my Harbor Freight ultra sonic cleaner.  The ultra sonic cleaner has worked great for cleaning carbs. The only solution I have tried for doing this so far has been Simple Green mixed about 50/50 with water.  I have also read to use Pine-Sol.  I will have to try the ultra sonic cleaner using lemon juice and try on another carb using Pine-Sol to see which gives better results.

• MH81 said thank you

#20 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 05:43 PM

I just found this post! Amazing pics of before and after. I have three B&S carbs for 16hp that need to be cleaned and fixed. I am going to try this this winter. Thanks for the info. Roger.

#21 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:07 PM

I was wondering the same thing about using with a ultrasonic cleaner. The results with the lemon juice looks about the same as I got with Pinesol, I used less heat and the smell was pleasant as long as you like pine scent. Everything I read says pinesol loses its cleaning power after about 3 days though.

#22 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 09:58 PM

I have a used carb I got earlier today via CL for a 5 HP snow king in a lemon juice boil as we speak. was pretty clean to start (the outside that I can see anyway LOL)  I think it came from a running motor that blew up it dont even smell like "bad" gas... I have 2 more waiting to go in as soon as I pull this one out while the lemon juice/water solution is still warm... both are worse looking. I have about a 1/2 and 1/2 mix with water I am trying. my heat source is a Coleman Peak 1, single burner camp stove...

Edited by dodge trucker, February 02, 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#23 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Its a well known trick with vintage motorcycle enthusiasts for decades.

However, there have been cases of corrosion after the bath.

Most of the old skool bikers say to flush with a weak baking soda and water solution afterwards, and then thouroghly air dry.

It depends on the material the carb was made out of.
  • MH81 said thank you

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 06:50 PM

I wasn't sure whether to revive this 3 page down buried thread or whether to start a new one because I have a few Qs that have come up about it. 

I did my 2nd carb a que today off a 4HP Tecumseh fixed jet lawnmower carb. I did a couple things different from when I did the one from that 8HP Briggs this past winter (which BTW still has yet to have gas put to it because I'm waiting for my son to pull the motor and change the bottom oil seal like he said he was going to--- story on that later)

On that one I'd previously soaked the carb in that Berrymans dip stuff and wasn't satisfied it was clean enough.... and that one ran before the teardown,  just would not respond to adjustments. 

On this one it would only run on ether, gas wasn't getting past the needle and seat into the bowl; and this one was also full of nasty green varnish where the other one wasn't

but I bypassed the Berymans dip, and went right for the carb a que.

I started with straight lemon juice and then added water after it started boiling off and not covering the carb/  then added water as needed to keep a cover.  on the 1st one I started with a 50/50 mix. of juice and water from the get go.

My main question is that I pulled this carb out about once every 10 min to check (boiled for about 1/2 hour)  and it came out looking rusty  it lookd like it was coated on the outside with rust powder  when I started boiling this one  the outside looked very clean (unlike what the inside looked like)   When I did that briggs 8HP one, that carb never got the rust powder look.

the rusty looking stuff rubbed right off with my finger upon rinsing it afterwards but what caused the rusty look on the outside of the carb?
Last time I when I did the Briggs carb, I started outside (it was about 20* outside)  with my Coleman stove and bought it inside to finish after the Colman stove ran out of fuel and my flame died... 

I used the rest of that same quart of lemon juice today that has been in the fridge ever since I did the 1st one....   but it was 70* outside  today, and I did the whole thing outside on the Coleman camp stove today. (no fumes in the house like over the winter when I had to finish the boil in the kitchen on the stove... I only did the kitchen thing about 5 mins then, though)

No I DID NOT pour what was left from the 1st time back in the bottle. I figurd someone would ask...

but does lemon juice go bad or lose its strength once the bottle has been opened?

I bought the mower I carb a qued earlier today at a local auction house. (buddy asked me to bid on it for him as he had to leave early--trying to revive this carb for him actually)

Came back and sorta proofread, when I posted this I got "run off" the computer by my "other half"

hope things make more sense now...

Edited by dodge trucker, May 18, 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#25 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:49 PM

well this mower now runs (didnt when I got it home)  so maybe all is OK   but after sitting all nite to drip dry  the whole carb looked like it had been dragged from the bottom of a lake (had that white calcium limey look to it inside and out)

#26 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Tried this yesterday and it worked pretty well. Will try to post some of the pictures that I took later and maybe some more.

#27 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 02:41 PM

(I need a bigger can)

IMG_3436.JPG IMG_3437.JPG IMG_3438.JPG IMG_3440.JPG

These two carb plates were totally covered in rust when I started.

IMG_3442.JPG