Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

2012 Presidental Election

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are you voting for in the 2012 Presidental Election (51 member(s) have cast votes)

GT Talk Votes - no explanation necessary

1. Barrack Obama (9 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

2. Voted Mitt Romney (40 votes [78.43%])

Percentage of vote: 78.43%

3. Undecided (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

4. Neither (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Some things to consider when you go out to vote today: I use this list every four years !

1) You can not legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

2) What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

3) The government cannot give to anybody anything that it has not first taken from someone else.

4) You can not multiply wealth by dividing it.

5) When half the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and then the 2nd half figures out that it does no good to work because some body else is going to get what they worked for, that is the beginning of the end of a nation.

Nowhere in here do I cast any guilt on those that have been injured and can't work or veterans that need help, but those that feel they are entitled just because... Arrghh..
Please get out and vote for what you believe is right !!

Someone is always going to game the system, and that's too bad, but when you remove the social safety net for the least fortunate among us, people are hurt. I've seen a child die in my own high school and I am 99% sure that the reason was that her family did not have proper health care. No one likes the entitled underclass, but it is the price we must pay to assure that all children have food in their bellies and a roof over their head. You teach enough homeless kids it will alter your perception.

I'm also not thrilled to be in a union, but if unions are busted then no one will have a job steady enough to want a mortgage. I made twice as much in high tech as I do now, but I sick of having the pavement pulled out from under me every time a merger swallowed my company, sold off the assets and let all the employees go.

Liberalism isn't bad, neither is captialism or conservatism, but we need balance, not the divisiveness that permeates politics in this country today.
  • Lovintractorin said thank you

#47 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,647 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 09:46 PM

When politicians sit on their hands waiting for the other party to fail, they should be reminded that they are payed to serve the American government, no matter who is in charge.

#48 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 09:55 PM

When politicians sit on their hands waiting for the other party to fail, they should be reminded that they are payed to serve the American government, no matter who is in charge.

Surely you meant the American People?
  • LilysDad said thank you

#49 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:38 AM

Oh, the entitlements.... oh my......gonna break out the popcorn for this one......

We are entitled for money for when we work. That is all.

You should hear what some of the boys up here expect from a boss.. I would get funny looks when i would show up with my four tool boxes to get the job done when they would expect the boss to supply everything.. Entitlement is alive and strong from 20 year olds to 70 year olds.. I'm sick of seeing it. I can't even count how many guys i fired over the years due to their unrealistic expectations.
  • jpackard56, boyscout862, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#50 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:22 AM

This is not a politcal statement, but what I consider a life statement. My economics professor in college said one thing I have never forgotten (and I was not that great of student and I don't remember much they taught me :D )

But what he said that made a huge impression on me is this simple statement "There is no such thing as a free lunch, someone paid for it"

I have tried to instill in my children this simple belief.
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#51 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,647 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Surely you meant the American People?

Thanks for the correction! What I meant to imply is that it is the American Government, not the Democrate Goverment, or Libertarian or Republican Goverment. They are given a pay check to serve, not sit.

#52 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 10:16 AM

This is not a politcal statement, but what I consider a life statement. My economics professor in college said one thing I have never forgotten (and I was not that great of student and I don't remember much they taught me :D )

But what he said that made a huge impression on me is this simple statement "There is no such thing as a free lunch, someone paid for it"

I have tried to instill in my children this simple belief.

The sad part is usually the ones that get on the "free" train always go back to it even when they don't need it. I'm all for helping the needy.. Help the family that lost the means to support them selves. I will go out of my way for a lot of different reasons.. LAZY.. Is not one of em.

Cudos to you for instilling that into your children... Many don't... Like the couple next door with their two kids..
  • Bolens 1000, sacsr, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#53 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 10:34 AM

I just don't need to say it. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Edited by HowardsMF155, November 07, 2012 - 10:35 AM.

• sacsr said thank you

#54 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 10:47 AM

Sadly, it appears that the paycheck we offer our politicians can't compete with the amount of money that can be made "otherwise". :(

There in seems to be the crux of the issue...just "who" is paying them and "who" controls the electronic voting machinery anyway ?
Because I sure haven't felt like I was being represented since I left the Navy. And what "we" are doing to our current returning Vets is approaching the disgrace the Vietnam Vets got shoveled.

#55 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 02:16 PM

My take on today's United States of America is I am very glad that I am 63 and not 23 since our best days are definitely behind us.

Of course this is only my humble but well thought out opinion.
  • dstaggs, sacsr and Team_Green have said thanks

#56 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 04:03 PM

My conversations with friends and customers today have been the concern of the value of the dollar and if we at some point could no longer service the debt what would be the possible results. We were discussing water, security, shelter, and food. I am 53 years old, in my wildest dreams I never thought this would ever be part of my conversation. the people I am talking to are saying the same thing. I always considered this to far out for me to consider possible. My kids are all in their early 20's. I hope and pray this country can some how straighten it self out. But trillions of dollars sound like the journey to the end of the earth! Just hope those elected on both sides of the aisle realize how close we must be getting to the tipping point.
May God bless this country and all those who preside in it.
For me today is just another day to try to earn a living. The sun will rise again tomorrow, and I will start all over again.

#57 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:02 PM

sacrs, that has been the topic discussed most here to. I wonder if the obama voters worry about that type of thing??? I wonder if they realize that at some point the federal government will not be able to give them a free ride... when there is no one left to take from or barrow from.

I'm just glad that I have enough land to provide (grow) for my own if need be.

Bill, I've thought/mentioned many times that I wish I could have lived in my parents generation.
  • Bolens 1000, GTTinkerer, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#58 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:21 PM

Guys, such worries have been around longer than any of us here. Through all the years there have been terrible fears of political collapse, monetary collapse (& of course that did happen & USA survived), the atomic fears of the 50's & 60's, and even back in 1938 Orson Wells had people thinking the world was being destroyed by aliens. The key is to always be ready for anything, but not to allow fear to take over your lives as we've survived & will continue to survive. We can look back through history & find the same fears many of us have now have been here since the Colonists first sat foot in the New World. Me....I'm keeping on keeping on.
  • GTTinkerer, sacsr, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#59 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Not sure if this will post correctly but it started with my parents generation which would likely be Bobby's grandparents cause I'm the tail end of the Vietnam era, and obviously affects all of us still, some more profoundly than others. I am sure that those that saw the devastation in 1945 could not envision what has happened since...
Hiroshima1945image002.jpeg
Hiroshima 1945
Hiroshima todayimage.jpeg
Hiroshima today
SkyScraperHiroshimatodayimage.jpeg
More Hiroshima today
Detroit65yearsafterHiroshimaimage004.jpeg
Detroit 65 years after the destruction of Hiroshima in 1945
Detroitimage006.jpeg
More of Detroit today

The question posed to me with these photos was:
What has caused more long term destruction the A-Bomb
or government welfare programs created to buy votes of those who want someone to take care of them ?

Japan does not have a welfare system like we do...
  • olcowhand and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#60 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:50 PM

If Japan can rebuild such as they have is there any reason we can't ? Like Daniel said in his post, real severe times and tragedies have happened in the past and we humans are resilient and have turned things around both in America and elsewhere. My mantra to my students when they tell me they just can't get it is the same that Churchill used (also during WWII ) "Never, Never, Never, give up !
  • twostep said thank you