sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 06:19 PM

I first thought my oil leak was coming from the push rod and bushing......but when I pulled the points out tonight, there looks like the oil is coming from the hole that the points pivot pin goes in. There was more residue there than around the push rod and bushing. Anyone seen this before?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350515982.881054.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 06:45 PM

More than likely that was just a good collecting point for the oil coming from the push pin. The oil likely just runs to that spot, then sucks up to that area, as the points have a small recess there that would hold quite a bit, making it look like the oil came from there.
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Well...no such luck! Replaced the bushing and push pin.....and still has the oil leak....I am leaning toward the hole behind the points....where the points body pivots off of.........has anyone ever experienced this?? The new bushing and push pin look to be working correctly and no oil traces were underneath.....would like to figure this out!!!

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Do those 2 holes both go thru to the inside of the block? You might fill the unthreaded hole with a heavy grease. That should stop the oil sippage and still keep the pivot pin lubed.
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Pretty sure all the holes go through....which is strange to me why they would do this......heavy grease is a good idea....will try that and let you know if it works.....will the grease melt when the motor gets hot?? Any type of grease better??

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Wheel bearing grease has a higher temp. rating then general purpose grease has. You might ask the parts man about which grease is better.
  • sacsr said thank you

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Just an up date. Glued the new sleeve in and put gasket sealer in the holes under the points....ran the motor for about 5 minutes and NO OIL!!! Yeah!! So the leak is fixed.....but noticed that my heliocoil is leaking.......I had seen carbon trail on the side of the sparkplug....and had tightened the plug thinking it may have been loose.....well cranked it up and on the intial start....you could see smoke coming out of the area.....once it was running and not smoking......you could not see it ....but I now know I have to fix this.....should I take it back to the guy who did the helio coil?? Is this something that happens regularly??